Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your dual scope set ups

While grabbing my solar gear thanks to a brief rest bite from the truly depressing cloud and rain we have been having in the Midlands it made me think.....most of us know from reading other threads that not only do a lot of members have more than one scope that many of us now use more than one scope at a time. Thanks to giro type mounts and now Sky-watchers AZ6-GT and AZ5-GT it is easier than ever to use more than one scope to cover wide field & planetary in one go or even WL & Ha solar.

I often don't think twice about grabbing two scopes for solar observing as the Lunt does what the ST120 can't ? but what do other members use on their dual set up rigs ?

20160621_074047.jpg20150418_160216.jpg

Edited by spaceboy
  • Like 7

Here you can see a daytime and night time setup, the latter albeit with a Baader filter for a daytime white light view too.  The first picture was taken during the recent Mercury transit.

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

• Like 5

The setup I recently took on holiday with me - I ended up with 7 days of cloud and never used it! I don't normally use all the counterweights shown, but thought I'd go the whole hog as I was on hols. :) 

DUAL1.JPG

DUAL2.JPG

• Like 11

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

The setup I recently took on holiday with me - I ended up with 7 days of cloud and never used it! I don't normally use all the counterweights shown, but thought I'd go the whole hog as I was on hols. :) 

DUAL1.JPG

DUAL2.JPG

That looks a really nice setup, shame about the cloud!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Oops, was this supposed to be solar only?? :eek:

It wasn't Stu but it's interesting to see that dual rigs seem to favour solar.

I managed to find an old night sky twin view just to help balance things out :D

035.JPG

This set up actually worked quite well despite the 150PDS ep being the opposite end to the C100ED ep. I think any longer on the focal lengths would have posed challenges though.

• Like 3

Cool. I think the two main purposes for a dual visual rig are solar white light/Ha and widefield/high mag for Astro. That's certainly what my one above was about. I'll dig out my oft posted Vixen/C8 pic in a minute ?

EDIT here's a few more for you ??

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

It wasn't Stu but it's interesting to see that dual rigs seem to favour solar.

I managed to find an old night sky twin view just to help balance things out :D

035.JPG

This set up actually worked quite well despite the 150PDS ep being the opposite end to the C100ED ep. I think any longer on the focal lengths would have posed challenges though.

Very Darth Vader esque the C100ED, don't you think :). To summerise mine- wonderful optics, terrible focuser!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

Here's an older one

DSCF0655.JPG

and here's my latest although the tube rings and focusers on both scopes have since changed!

2015-03-14 15.22.28.jpg

I love your red Giro Shane ??

• Like 2

There are many uses, IE close up and wide field views at the same time. The Double Double looks pretty cool when viewed simultaneously, 2 stars in one scope and 4 stars in the other and yet both are pointed at the same target ..... Magic or what :happy11:

Edited by Pig
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Very Darth Vader esque the C100ED, don't you think :). To summerise mine- wonderful optics, terrible focuser!

I did upgrade my focuser in the end with the help of an adapter which really opened up the potential of the scope but I was left wanting for aperture in the end so it went. Oddly the guy who bought it from me insisted on having it all original including the totally pants R&P focuser :confused4:

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Cool. I think the two main purposes for a dual visual rig are solar white light/Ha and widefield/high mag for Astro. That's certainly what my one above was about. I'll dig out my oft posted Vixen/C8 pic in a minute ?

EDIT here's a few more for you ??

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow, those little Giro-WR's can take some weight. Glad I just bought one! :) 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RobertI said:

Wow, those little Giro-WR's can take some weight. Glad I just bought one! :) 

They can indeed. Stick them on a good tripod and you will be amazed what they can carry!

• Like 1

My double barrel Tal cannon from a while back. I still have the RS, Dad has the R, and the SkyTee has been sold - I like the look of those Giro WRs though, might have to try one!

Not a great photo but it's all I have on my works computer.

WP_000135.jpg

• Like 5

I did open the thread with dual scope set up but in hindsight should really have put multiple scope given imagers in particular use several scopes at a time.

Interesting to see a multiple scope set up for visual commanderfish. Would the ed80 not bring a similar offering to the views as the star wave 152?

Made me think what would make for the ideal treble scope set up. 6" f/9  apo (doubles and lunar), 12" f/4 newt (faint  stuff) & 8" f/5 apo (wide field). Doubtful any such refractors are readily available and the mount would have to be monstrous to carry them but hey what a busy nights session you would have :D

• Like 1