sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Newt would offer the better visual experience I think, or another possibility would be a Mak-Newt which retains that 'refractor view' and can be pushed to stupid high magnifications. Downside of t

Hi Piers, It's a tricky one, I must say. I too have had negative experiences with SCT's in the past, but am getting the hang of them more now. I really enjoyed my Edge 8", didn't want to sell it

I had a VX10L f6.3 1/10th wave OO Dob for a while. Lovely scope, as you say no need for a coma corrector and gave excellent view of quite a range of mid to high power targets.

Posted Images

The focuser on the MN does need replacing. Some issues with it not being perfectly square either to the light path in the MN with the unit my friend has. 

Amazing views though indeed once propertly collimated and adjusted. Pleidies and Jupiter were amazing in it. Good on a custom dob mount or AZEQ 6. It is heavy/awkward, dew issues, needs a while to cool. 

As for your original question, an SCT edge or ACF will be well corrected without coma and the viewing position rocks at the back. Transportation is easier as well. Those two aspects mean more to some ppl than others. For me it is crucial. 

Edited by Tyson M

I was also tempted by some of the Intes Micro ones. I think they are built to order now but the 8" one with Quartz 1/10th wave optics might be nice ?

• Like 1

Lots of ppl consider the 8" edge one of the best all purpose Telescopes they have ever owned. 

I really like my Meade 10" ACF. But there has been a learning curve with collimation. Which is to be expected. No dew shield but haven't needed to use a hair dryer once yet. In the winter it would  be a different story though. 

On 21 June 2016 at 19:18, Tyson M said:

Lots of ppl consider the 8" edge one of the best all purpose Telescopes they have ever owned. 

I really like my Meade 10" ACF. But there has been a learning curve with collimation. Which is to be expected. No dew shield but haven't needed to use a hair dryer once yet. In the winter it would  be a different story though. 

One reason I'm deciding on keeping mine ....!

2 hours ago, osbourne one-nil said:

Still thinking this one through - but still coming back to the 9.25. After a lifetime of short focal length scopes, perhaps it's time to indulge magnification, especially with a 80ED scope close to hand. 

I bought a C9.25 3 years ago. It was way out of collimation when I got it. I re-collimated it and have spent the last 1.5 years waiting for our skies to give me one clear evening (needed the moon in they sky to check my Moonlite focuser)  to see if I did it correctly. We had several clear nights but I wound up being sick on those nights and was unable to get out and observe with it.  Anyway got out a week ago for a about 11/4 hr and tried it out on the moon. It was fantastic and the collimation is excellent. I have wanted a C9.25 for over 20 years and could never afford one. Bought this one used and ended my quest. I had looked thru 5 C9.25 over the years and there views were always excellent. Mine seems to be holding up that tradition!! I put it on a iQE45 Pro mount and it handles it very well. The mount tracks great and is easy to use.

The C9.25 is an excellent scope and light weight enough for most people to handle easily. If you get one I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, osbourne one-nil said:

Thanks Johnny - that's what I wanted to hear. I might commit tomorrow. 

Sounds like your weather is like our weather! 

I'm using a C9.25 at the moment too Piers. I do like it actually, the collimation is not quite bang on yet but the views of Jupiter have been lovely through it, very nice colour and resolution. I still don't like the star images in it but that's just something SCTs don't do so well. Might end up modding it with cooling fans to get it to equilibrium better and clear the boundary layer but we will see.

Well as a faint fuzzy fan, it might be far more sensible to get a Skywatcher 10" newt, x5 powermate and save my money! I could go for a VX10, but I really don't have the sort of patience needed when buying new from OO. 

Ok - I decided I just had to get something as I was falling victim to analysis paralysis. I have just ordered, from the ever helpful Lee at Green Witch a.....8" Edge HD. 

My reasons are:

8" or 10" newts; possibly too long for the mount, cumbersome to carry about and ergonomically annoying with a huge variation in eyepiece height throughout an evening. Also, tube length makes pointing at the zenith (on my mount anyway) a problem. 

9.25" SCT - not entirely convinced I'd be happy with the image after various comments on here, worried about feeling a bit restricted, and significantly heavier and bulkier than an 8" version. Not convinced the extra aperture would be worthwhile when balanced against the negatives. 

8" Edge - good old-fashioned British compromise. As with my Tak, I'll know that the image will be about as good as an image can be in an 8" catadioptric. The 8" aperture will still give me a significant increase in light gathering but slightly less boxed-in field of view and it will place no strain whatsoever on the mount, transportation or storage. Plus it's white and I think it looks cool. This should never be underestimated. 

Please note; this will probably be on sale within 6 months as I decide I really should have gone for a 14" Flex-Tube. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, osbourne one-nil said:

Ok - I decided I just had to get something as I was falling victim to analysis paralysis. I have just ordered, from the ever helpful Lee at Green Witch a.....8" Edge HD. 

My reasons are:

8" or 10" newts; possibly too long for the mount, cumbersome to carry about and ergonomically annoying with a huge variation in eyepiece height throughout an evening. Also, tube length makes pointing at the zenith (on my mount anyway) a problem. 

9.25" SCT - not entirely convinced I'd be happy with the image after various comments on here, worried about feeling a bit restricted, and significantly heavier and bulkier than an 8" version. Not convinced the extra aperture would be worthwhile when balanced against the negatives. 

8" Edge - good old-fashioned British compromise. As with my Tak, I'll know that the image will be about as good as an image can be in an 8" catadioptric. The 8" aperture will still give me a significant increase in light gathering but slightly less boxed-in field of view and it will place no strain whatsoever on the mount, transportation or storage. Plus it's white and I think it looks cool. This should never be underestimated. 

Please note; this will probably be on sale within 6 months as I decide I really should have gone for a 14" Flex-Tube. 

Welcome to the club Piers, it won't disappoint - best kept secret in the astronomy world of how good these scopes can be.

Obviously pictures are required to verify your purchase....lol :hello2:

Regards,

Well, I'll take it to the Lake District soon for a real photoshoot but for now, dressed in nothing but a 31mm Nagler, here he is. 

England are about to play Iceland so I won't be doing anything else with it tonight unless England go behind, so I'll probably be back out in the shed in 5 mins. 

IMG_20160627_1950460.jpg

IMG_20160627_1950222.jpg

IMG_20160627_1949564.jpg

• Like 1