Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Danny83uk

Synscan power supply wrong figures in manual?

I recently purchased a EQ5 mount with synscan. But rather then use the car adaptor running though a 3 pin convertor i bought a 12v 500mA DC power supply. The back of the manual states it requires 100mA (see image). So here i am thinking great this will do. Wrong. Its enough to start the hand controller and go through all the set up but it doesnt seem to move any motors. This being my first attempt i wasnt sure if i was doing something wrong. Did the brakes need releasing? - No. are the cables going to the right sockets? - Yes. After much head scratching i went back to to start and used the supplied 12v car style plus in a convertor i had. Sure enough it all worked perfectly. okay went back to my 500mA and nope nothing worked. After searching the house for a 12v 1A DC supply with the correct plug and trying that, Sure enough it all works fine. Have they simply missed a '0' off the manual or am i missing something else here? Tomorrow i'll probably go an exchange it for this 12V 1000mA Power supply. I'll let you know how i fair. And for anyone checking for power supplies (Like i did) your looking for a 5.5mm x 2.1mm power tip to for the unit.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Yes I remember going through two different adaptors before finding a 1200mA 12V supply worked. You know it works when you hear that click followed by the beep from the hand controller.

Perhaps the manual is referring to the amperage required to power the hand controller alone, a useless number since the motors require at least 1A when slewing at full speed. 

Dan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danny83uk said:

I recently purchased a EQ5 mount with synscan. But rather then use the car adaptor running though a 3 pin convertor i bought a 12v 500mA DC power supply. The back of the manual states it requires 100mA (see image). So here i am thinking great this will do. Wrong. Its enough to start the hand controller and go through all the set up but it doesnt seem to move any motors. This being my first attempt i wasnt sure if i was doing something wrong. Did the brakes need releasing? - No. are the cables going to the right sockets? - Yes. After much head scratching i went back to to start and used the supplied 12v car style plus in a convertor i had. Sure enough it all worked perfectly. okay went back to my 500mA and nope nothing worked. After searching the house for a 12v 1A DC supply with the correct plug and trying that, Sure enough it all works fine. Have they simply missed a '0' off the manual or am i missing something else here? Tomorrow i'll probably go an exchange it for this 12V 1000mA Power supply. I'll let you know how i fair. And for anyone checking for power supplies (Like i did) your looking for a 5.5mm x 2.1mm power tip to for the unit.

FullSizeRender.jpg

The voltage and amperes in the photo only refer to the requirements for updating the handsets firmware. The mounts requires  11-15v dc with a continuous current of 2 amps (more is better) to ensure it functions properly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The voltage and amperes in the photo only refer to the requirements for updating the handsets firmware. The mounts requires  11-15v dc with a continuous current of 2 amps (more is better) to ensure it functions properly.

Thats handy to know. Im not great on electronics but Amp wise it will only take what it requires? So if i was to get 3000mA id not damage the system?

Edited by Danny83uk
Bad grammar

Yep, I use 10\20 amp supplies (useful for powering cameras etc.) with no ill effects.

9 hours ago, Danny83uk said:

Thats handy to know. Im not great on electronics but the Amp wise it will only take what it requires? So if i was to get 3000mA id not damage the system?

That psu should be ok.  The minimum requirements for a psu are 12v dc with a continuous regulated output of 2 amps.

11 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

That psu should be ok.  The minimum requirements for a psu are 12v dc with a continuous regulated output of 2 amps.

Couldnt get anything closer then 1A today the 1.5 was a detachable end with different sizes. But as its outside im not willing to risk to many connections in the system.

But have tried it on the set-up and it works. But will be searching works psu stock for a compatable one with more Amps.

13 hours ago, Danny83uk said:

Couldnt get anything closer then 1A today the 1.5 was a detachable end with different sizes. But as its outside im not willing to risk to many connections in the system.

But have tried it on the set-up and it works. But will be searching works psu stock for a compatable one with more Amps.

1.5 amps might work for a short while but if the mount tries to draw more current than the psu can supply then you will get problems. 

11 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

1.5 amps might work for a short while but if the mount tries to draw more current than the psu can supply then you will get problems. 

Problems are bad. Its likely to be all ive got for now. It was in a maplins store so ill try the wed see what i can find