Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescopes - how many do I need?

Now, this could be a can of worms, but here goes:

I often read that no one scope can do everything, so how many is a sensible number if I want to observer (not photograph - let's leave that for another day) everything in the sky?

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

1. A large aperture reflector for galaxies, planetary nebulae and globular clusters
  2. A long focal length Mak for double/multiple stars
  3. A wide FOV refractor (such as an ED80 ?) for large reflection nebulae and expansive open clusters
  4. A long refractor for planetary and luna
  5. A solar scope
  6. A short, light weight travel scope for taking on family holidays

So, six???

I'm not looking to buy 6 telescopes, what I'm really trying to do is break the "no one scope" comment down into something tangible, so it can be rephrased as "if you get a _____ then it will be good for ____", or "if you are most interested in viewing ____ then buy a ______".

I also don't think I'd ever own 6 telescopes - I can now hear quite a few of you thinking "that's what I said"! - but I can see myself owing 2 or 3, for use depending on what I'm interested in on a particular night. I already own an 8" Dob, so I (somewhat) fulfil #1, and I'm thinking about what may be next for those clear moon filled nights, when those galaxies are playing hard to get.

Please correct any misconceptions I have made above - I am far from experienced in any of those areas.

I'm not looking to increase the aperture of my reflector (yet ;) )

I also realise there is no SCT in the list above, so where does that fit in?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I'm disabled, so I have to use what's convenient. I have two Mak's, 90mm and 102mm. The 90mm is highly portable and the nearest I can get to a grab'n'go. The 102mm was acquired because with my disability my 5" reflector was difficult for me to assemble and operate. After a year of intensive physiotherapy the 130mm Newtonian is now a bit easier for me to use.  The largest and most recent is a 235mm SCT (9.25") with a GOTO.

1 minute ago, John said:

At a quick glance, I'd say that 2 and 4 could be the same scope as could 3 and 6.

So thats reduced you to 4 scopes, which is how many I have :icon_biggrin:

I did think 2 & 4 could probably be covered by one, but I was trying to make a case for both a Mak and a Frac, or at least rule one over the other (mainly as this is what I'm think of next).

And also, at the moment, I'm not thinking about Solar (as pretty much any - but probably a refractor ? - could be converted with a Solar filter).

So down to 3, which I think is a number I could just about squeeze into the house without the wife noticing....

(Oh, and maybe a table top one for the kids :D )

I have a "3 scope agreement" with my wife but I'm currently skating on thin ice by having 4 and I'm eyeing up another one ....... :rolleyes2:

I have a Lunt Solar Wedge which I can use with 3 of my scopes (which are refractors) so, for me, that covers my interest in solar viewing. If I get interested in h-alpha solar viewing though that may mean another instrument, unless I convert an existing one.

Thank goodness I don't image !

Edit: Having seen David's post above, I tend to agree with him - the 8" F/6 dob is a pretty good "all round" scope. If I had to live with just one scope that might just be the one.

I'd go with 3 in an ideal world. 1) The  largest aperture you can comfortably manage and I emphasized comfortably as this means there is a good chance it will get used and not just sit in a corner gathering  dust. 2) a refractor as you'll find in the UK at least, that it will often cut through seeing better than larger newtonians giving you far more aesthetically  pleasing stars more of the time but still offer up a good fov. 3) a grab and go scope. This could be a compact 5" mak/sct, short focal length 4" frak or up to a 6" newtonian, all of which will sit comfortably on an AZ4 which is a nice portable mount but still a sturdy performer..

15 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Hmmm,

To be honest the 8" you have covers most of your options and adding a solar filter would give you white light solar views.

8" F/6 Newtonians are very good all rounders

I'm very happy with this telescope and glad it is the one I currently own, and it fits the "comfortably manage" comment above and gets lots of use (give the opportunity). The one thing it doesn't fulfil is the family holiday scope, it's too big to fit in the car with the camping gear - have no trouble taking it out to sites on my own though.

The other thing that interests me is the "punching through the atmosphere" comment that I've also read before, and splitting double stars where I've tried some with my 8" and failed where others have said that they've split it easily with a 4" refractor.

You can never have too many scopes. I have 3 but only really use 2. It has to be a good night for me to take the 12" out, as such I've used it about 5 times in 4 years...

I currently have 5 scopes - 12" Revelation Dob, 8" Orion VX8, 4" Astro Tech APO, 72mm Altair Lightwave and a PST Ha scope. I could reduce to 3 losing the 8" Newt and 72mm Frac - I enjoy Solar Observing in particular with the PST so together with a Lunt Herschel Wedge on the 4" I cover both white light and Ha.

I had a 180mm Mak/Cass for Planets, Moon and Double Stars but I prefer the 4" Frac so the Mak/Cass went.

The Orion VX8 is my quick grab and go and my outreach scope and I bought the 72mm Frac for holidays.

So what would I recommend - i) 10" or 12" Dob  - ii) 100mm or 120mm frac - iii) Ha solar scope

This could really open up a can of worms??.  I think it's like chaps with sports cars, you get one and you think it's the bees knees but after a while your eye starts wandering for that little bit extra. My thinking on this with scopes  in the beginning was to use bins for the time being, and then read read and read some more other people's experiences and reviews and at the same time save and save until I felt something came up that I felt would be the bees knees and my eyes would not start wandering and wishing that I had purchased something different ,or thinking about a  upgrade at a later date. . From what I had read with the frac v reflectors  debate, was the frac would give a crisper image but the reflector because of better bang for buck on the aperture front means under the correct atmosphere conditions would allow higher magnification(but a slightly softer image). So in the end I had a frac, of a skywatcher equinox 120 with a Az4 mount. To which I am very happy with its gab and go and quick target location and tracking with the Az,  views clear and crisp as a frac should be. I also then was lucky to drop onto a OO 14inch dob to which as you guys probably know is a bit of a hand full so lives in the shed. Great this scope for teasing out DSO, and when atmosphere allows racking up the magnification to get a good view of planetary detail. I am more than happy? with my decision as I wanted to buy quality and buy once , so two scopes I am content with and have no plans to change this. Now when it comes to eyepieces I do get itchy feet to just add one more(the trouble is its never just one more) especially when I see one of the green ones come up(televue)?

5 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I currently have 5 scopes - 12" Revelation Dob, 8" Orion VX8, 4" Astro Tech APO, 72mm Altair Lightwave and a PST Ha scope. I could reduce to 3 losing the 8" Newt and 72mm Frac - I enjoy Solar Observing in particular with the PST so together with a Lunt Herschel Wedge on the 4" I cover both white light and Ha.

I had a 180mm Mak/Cass for Planets, Moon and Double Stars but I prefer the 4" Frac so the Mak/Cass went.

The Orion VX8 is my quick grab and go and my outreach scope and I bought the 72mm Frac for holidays.

So what would I recommend - i) 10" or 12" Dob  - ii) 100mm or 120mm frac - iii) Ha solar scope

Great suggestion Mark, in my case the SW120ED compliments the 15" dob (10" too) very well. I still get surprised at the mag the 120mm will take on certain objects and also the low power widefield views it provides. At times I miss the FOV of the 10" f4.8 but the 15" shows many things so much easier...

My little batch of 3 is nice. 16", 10" Dobs and an ED80. But...... Ha is calling and side by side white light and Ha is heaven.

The ED120 is a good call. The 900mm fl gives useful magnification. But, hardly small....

So the ED80 stays. Add a ED120 and a Quark (not a scope) and I'm there.....

A planet slaying Mac? Would it be much better than a big Dob with a good mirror?

4 or 5 is right for me!

Paul

What might be more useful would be a matrix with scopes down one side, targets across the top and then some sort of subjective rating in each box, perhaps a RAG rating or more usefully a 4-step one: RED = not much cop, Amber = usable, Yellow-green = suitable, Green = ideal

Need is an interesting word isn't it ?

In my time I've had up to 11 scopes! I certainly didn't need them but I did enjoy owning them.

One thing I've found is that a single, high quality refractor can fullfil a number of roles. I have a Tak FC-100 f7.4 which is my most used scope. It is lovely on planets, and really does cut through poorer seeing. It gives sharp, stable views when other larger scopes fail. The detail visible belies its four inch aperture although obviously the resolution and colour cannot compete with larger aperture under good conditions. The Tak is also wonderful on double stars, as a widefield scope for those large nebulae at dark sites and finally I have found that by removing the focuser and Dewshield it fits into an airline carry on bag/case so is truly portable. With a Giro-WR mount and good CF tripod it can and does go anywhere with me.

Obviously there is a justification for larger aperture at a dark site. I've had a 16" Sumerian Canopus in the past which was fabulous, so I would definitely add a 16 or 18" truss dob to your list.

A decent aperture to use regularly would also be necessary (needed!) so perhaps a 10 or 12" Orion Optics dob, f5.3 perhaps which will cover most bases very well whilst being convenient enough to make sure you use it regularly (assuming you can observe from home or have a car you can transport it in easily).

My fourth option might be an 8" or 9.25" SCT. I've had an 8" Edge for a while and currently am using a C9.25. I think out of the 2, the 8" would be my choice. Very portable and gives you the option of getting aperture out to a dark site if you haven't got room for the big dob. I've used the Tak and 8" Edge on a Giro-WR mount to give widefield and higher power views at a dark site, it worked beautifully.

Add a Herschel Wedge and a Quark and you've got solar sorted with the Tak.

Last one might be an Altair Astro 152mm f5.9 for better Quark views and also widefield views with a more aperture than the Tak.

So....

Tak FC-100

Altair Astro 152 f5.9

Celestron 8" Edge HD

Orion Optics 12" f5.3 1/10th wave

18" Truss dobsonian with Nichol Mirror

5 scopes, that should sort you out ??. Need? Of course you need them!

With only 3, I would go for the Tak, an 8" f6 and the 18".

I have an 8" SCT which is a great all-round performer and it travels well.

NewFinder2.jpg

I also have a little frac (APM 80mm F/6 triplet). Excellent for wide field views (although the 15x70 bins get used a bit more in that role), but also my stalwart solar imaging scope.

IMAG0598.jpg

I have a grab-and-go solar setup

IMAG0720.jpg

I would like to have a (travel) Dobson to reach deeper than the C8 can. A further frac for high-resolution solar would also be nice. These would augment, rather than replace what I have.

One small refractor, say 70mm to 90mm for travel and for when you are feeling very lazy.

One large refractor, say 120mm to 140mm for quick use at home on less than perfect night.

One large dob, say 200mm to as large as you can handle for when you have time and the sky is dark and  transparent.

Somehow I have gone wrong because I have two of each of these...

My 8" SCT is good for higher magnification and resolution, while the 4.7" frac gives a much wider FOV.  Portable, too.

It all gets more complicated when you start on exit pupils, sizes and brightnesses of objects, etc., but I reckon this simple combo covers most things.  Maybe a very large aperture, fast 'scope would deal with anything else, but space and cash forbid it!

I am intrigued by the notion of "punching through poor seeing" however, but that's another story!  (Edit: For anyone interested in  - and maybe not yet fully conversant with it, like me - there is an excellent article at http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/beating-the-seeing/.)

Doug.

Don't think you can ever have enough telescopes :icon_biggrin:

I have had 5 for quite some time now, but recently acquired one more to fit a gap, been cloudy ever since, but that's another thread :icon_biggrin: think you need something small and light as a grab and go, along with something fairly large and maybe something in between, but really it all depends on your budget

6 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

....I am intrigued by the notion of "punching through poor seeing" however, but that's another story!  (Edit: For anyone interested in  - and maybe not yet fully conversant with it, like me - there is an excellent article at http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/beating-the-seeing/.)

Doug.

Interesting article that :icon_biggrin:

This is my favourite bit:

"....Mostly, though, beating the seeing is just a matter of patience. Just keep watching...." 

Archived