SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Large Imaging APO

Hello all, 

I've been looking at some upgrade for my small 80/480mm Explore scientific. I've been looking around for a 4" Quadruplet or 4" triplet. I know about the takahashi's but I'm really looking forward to an upgrade in both aperture and focal length. 600m range.

So far I've found a couple of options:

TSAPO100Q. Nice aperture, good looking piece of kit and the few reviews around are very positive. It has option to later move on to a full frame CCD or DSLR because of its 49mm imaging circle. 

TeleVue TV-85. Unfortunately almost same aperture. With reducer a quick scope with ofcoarse the TeleVue quality. A little too expensive.

Skywatcher Esprit 100mm with flattener. Still has the same problem as now with my ES, a separate flattener. 

Williams optics Star71. I've heard only good things about it but unfortunately only 71mm aperture so lose the visual ability. 

Large 130mm Robtics (same as TS) with 3" reducer/flattener. Never heard anything about these scopes at all.

Borg 90FL fluorite 6 element astrophotography set at F/4! Very quick but also a downside because of its F number? Also very short focal length which I'm slightly trying to increase. 

I'm still very confused about what to get, so far I'm setting my bets on the 100 Quad of TS because it ticks all the boxes however I hope someome can enlighten me on what would be the other best decision or give me some notes on why not to go with the Quad from TS. I'm open for suggestions but my budget will max out at 2000 pounds or 2600 euro's. 

Thanks in advance, 

Clear skies.

Buikimaging

• 2 weeks later...

When I do upgrade my own telescope, I will be looking at this (hope its ok to post this). It's just outside your budget but IMO worth a look.

http://www.cfftelescopes.eu/105mm.html

They seem to be a small company that takes a lot of pride in, and a personal approach to their work (just going by what I have read on other forums).

There are not many reviews but the ones I have found are very good, comparable to the high end of the telescope market.

Of all the scopes you have mentioned, I would go for the Borg, for no other reason than they are cool telescopes. Although I have read that they do have their flaws with color correction (Dunno if this applies to the 90FL though)

I currently own a TS90APO and find it a very good and well made scope. It is a generation before the 100Q and I know nothing of the 100Q (I know not very helpful)

Anyway I thought I would just throw another into the mix for you.

(I am in no way affiliated with CFF telescopes, I just like to support the little guy :))

How about a TS 130 f/7 photoline? 910mm fl or add a 0.75 reducer for f/5.1? There are two versions, the one with the 2.5" focuser should be in your budget.

After my experience with their 81Q I wouldn't touch any of their 6 element "astrographs".

17 hours ago, DaveS said:

How about a TS 130 f/7 photoline? 910mm fl or add a 0.75 reducer for f/5.1? There are two versions, the one with the 2.5" focuser should be in your budget.

After my experience with their 81Q I wouldn't touch any of their 6 element "astrographs".

The 100Q isn't a 6 element one, it's a petzval Quadruplet. They don't have any spacing problems, it's just focus and go!.(I fully read your woes and all about the spacing problems) I have indeed thought of the TS photoline setup with a riccardi-reducer. They look pretty neat but also, since I have such bad experience with separate reducers I feel a bit iffy about getting a separate one and having the same issues I have now. 

The CFF telescopes do indeed look very nice and I have had my eye on them but they do indeed stretch my budget to a new high. I can unfortunately not stretch it that far. 

Ah, sorry about that. I saw the 100 and just assumes it was another of their 6 element jobs. Yes, a petzval quadruplet would be a viable option.

Indeed the CFF 'scopes are very nice but above my budget too, especially now the pound has tanked :cussing:

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Ah, sorry about that. I saw the 100 and just assumes it was another of their 6 element jobs. Yes, a petzval quadruplet would be a viable option.

Indeed the CFF 'scopes are very nice but above my budget too, especially now the pound has tanked :cussing:

I have set my focus on the Skywatcher Esprit 100 with field flattener, seeing some really nice reviews on it.
The TS scopes have some bad ones and i am not willing to part on 2500 euro's on a scope I am not sure will do the job perfectly.
Besides it would save me almost 300 pounds so part of that will go up to a filter set for the upcoming ASI1600MM or a feathertouch to slap on that Skywatcher!
I am just not that keen on buying something online with the chance of not having a physical store to go back to in case of troubles.

I could also pass enough money on a 120 Esprit but being F7 its quite slow. Have heard some people using a APM 0.75 reducer with it but not sure.

The skywatcher will be my final choice im thinking, the imaging circle on that will be big enough since I dont see myself getting a full frame CCD in the near 10-20 years.
If I do decide on full frame camera's ill grab myself an FSQ106 whenever that time might come.

Thanks for the info!!! wish me luck in keeping all the money I earn saving for that beast. A young man sometimes has to party ;) .

Archived