Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Graviitational Wave Results!

The first gravitational wave results announced in February were from a signal seen in September.

My notes from a live-streamed press conference that started at 10:15 am PDT (17:15 GMT) today:

Another, weaker signal was seen in December. This time, the signal was not visible “by eye”, but was as seen as a peak in the signal-to-noise ratio. Black holes of 14 and 8 solar masses merged to produce a 21 solar-mass black hole. This happened 1.4 billion light-years away. The signal was weaker, but more orbits were seen, so maybe more information.

Gravitational wave astronomy is really here!

I find these discoveries quite incredible. Having read of the complexities of isolating the minute signal from so much noise, I just think it is amazing that such beautiful and simple waveforms are produced as a result of all that technology.

I used to wonder as to whether we would ever be able to observe such signals. A second discovery so soon after the first is fantastic. Not only does it help to establish functionality of the 'wave-detector' but would also indicate that coalescing-compact objects are commonplace enough in the cosmos for us to be able to gather some really useful data. Hopefully there will be more discoveries in the very near future.

Archived