Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

FLO

Meteorites for Fathers Day

Awww i wanted the storm trooper :D 

Might have to treat myself for fathers day and buy one of these meteorites for myself, I have always wanted something like this but not a clue where to find one myself and £20 is a bargain but of course thats no surprise from FLO :)

11 minutes ago, romx said:

Awww i wanted the storm trooper :D 

Might have to treat myself for fathers day and buy one of these meteorites for myself, I have always wanted something like this but not a clue where to find one myself and £20 is a bargain but of course thats no surprise from FLO :)

This is no reflection on FLO, but be careful what "size" of meteorite you think you will be getting. The ones in the picture above are not necessarily shown full size.

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

This is no reflection on FLO, but be careful what "size" of meteorite you think you will be getting. The ones in the picture above are not necessarily shown full size.

Ian is right, they fit in the palm of your hand. When you view them at our website they are photographed alongside a Lego Stormtrooper, for an indication of size. 

I almost posted one of the photos showing the Stormtrooper but when we last did someone complained we weren't taking them seriously enough! I keep meaning to buy one of those 'serious' shiny metal metric cubes for the photos. If someone knows where I can buy a good one please PM or email me a link :smile: 

Steve 

5 minutes ago, FLO said:

Ian is right, they fit in the palm of your hand.

'serious' shiny metal metric cubes for the photos.

How about a ruler ? or the palm of your hand !

20 minutes ago, FLO said:

I have small hands :biggrin:

:) !!   well I'd settle for a ruler, after all are we not amateur engineers and scientists here, old-school inches or new-fangled mms, I dont mind I'm adaptive optically

As tins of beans are the currency for eyepiece scale - what about a baked bean !

andrew

• Like 1

Or a stormtrooper holding a ruler?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JamesF said:

Or a stormtrooper holding a ruler?

While eating a Jaffa Cake ...?

Taxi!

• Like 1

I have 2 Campo Del Cielo meteorites from FLO and i love them. They are a very nice size and weight. Obviously no 2 are the same. I have to say though that if you like your meteorites to look like what most people expect a meteorite to look like then the meteorite from the Arizona crater (Canyon Diablo) is the way to go. They are also a very nice size and weight. They have lovely fusion crust on the outside and they just look "proper".

I have basically 2 of each samples sold by FLO and i cant say a bad thing about them.

Campo Del Cielo or Canyon Diablo...........you cant go wrong and would make an ideal gift for anyone into space/astronomy. There are others available, but you really get your moneys worth with either of the above.

The image above is not a true scale image of the size. I am guesstimating that the image above is 30-50% larger than the real sample.......thats just a guesstimate by me holding up one of mine to the screen image.

Honestly.........they are a very nice size. You wont be disappointed.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Just held mine up to the screen and it was maybe 10% smaller. But I suppose it depends how much your browser is zoomed in/out.

I like the storm trooper, personally. Life is fun - go with the storm trooper - so much more interesting that a 1cm cube.

Ant

A lot of vendors use a well known coin for scale or a 1cm cube, like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-CM-scale-cube-Brass-metal-Vintage-style-1cm-Meteorite-/182165691978?hash=item2a69ebde4a:g:JCYAAOSwBahVMO6Y

The reality with some specimens though, eg: lunar and martian, is that they will be small because the cost per gram is rather high !

• Like 1

Some meteorite enthusiasts search for tiny ones in rain ducting. As with the larger fragments from comets orbiting the sun,
the dust size ones get down to earth too, into the atmosphere
 They get trapped in rain ducts when they are washed out of the atmosphere.
They are so small, they can stay airborne for long periods, until the rain brings them down.
They are Microscopically Tiny, but look large under a microscope.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, John said:

A lot of vendors use a well known coin for scale or a 1cm cube, like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-CM-scale-cube-Brass-metal-Vintage-style-1cm-Meteorite-/182165691978?hash=item2a69ebde4a:g:JCYAAOSwBahVMO6Y

The reality with some specimens though, eg: lunar and martian, is that they will be small because the cost per gram is rather high !

The Lunar and Martian samples are rather very tiny. I call them "crumbs". For the size........very expensive, but hey............its nice to own a bit of the Moon and Mars.

The one meteorite i have bought which i was quite shocked (not in a good way) at the size of is the famous Russian Chelyabinsk. Its quite small, but from a very famous meteorite. Not much of it was recovered, so i kind of understand the size of the bits for sale. 

Its not about size/cost though on the most famous ones.........its all about actually owning a piece.

I want to add a sample from Wolf Creek crater to my collection.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

13 minutes ago, barkis said:

Some meteorite enthusiasts search for tiny ones in rain ducting. As with the larger fragments from comets orbiting the sun,
the dust size ones get down to earth too.
 They get trapped in rain ducts when they are washed out of the atmosphere.
They are so small, they can stay airborne for long periods, until the rain brings them down.
They are Microscopically Tiny, but look large under a microscope.

I love looking at my Lunar,Martian and Chelyabinsk rocks under the microscope. They look fantastic.

I'd love to add a few Lego Storm Troopers to my display case. Have you seen the price of them online?. 12-15 euros EACH.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

At one point I owned nearly 3 grams of the famous Barwell Meteorite which fell over that town in Leicestershire on Christmas Eve 1965. It was the centrepiece of my collection :icon_biggrin:

It's a bit off topic though, sorry FLO.

Owning something so old and that has been in space is a thrill for any space enthusiast though :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John

1 minute ago, John said:

At one point I owned nearly 3 grams of the famous Barwell Meteorite which fell over that town in Leicestershire on Christmas Eve 1965. It was the centrepiece of my collection :icon_biggrin:

I'm all for buying a large chunk to make the centre piece of my collection. I just dont know which one. Doesnt really need to be a world famous piece........just a nice piece. 

Famous witnessed falls were my main interest - the stories surrounding them are factinating :icon_biggrin:

I suppose it also depends on how big one's screen is and how many other windows are tiled ! I suppose I am just old fashioned but a ruler seems simples to me, ( so old fashioned that I have not seen a lego stormtrooper let alone a meteorite, sad init ! not even a leggo brick in the house :( )

I am sooo tempted but I am a simple soul ( and I even have several compound and stereo microscopes waiting :) )

3 minutes ago, John said:

Famous witnessed falls were my main interest - the stories surrounding them are factinating :icon_biggrin:

I have a couple of Sikote Alin meteorites. I bought them because i like the twisted bent out of shape shrapnel look of them, and the fact that it was a witnessed fall back in 1947.......they year my mum was born.

4 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

I suppose it also depends on how big one's screen is and how many other windows are tiled ! I suppose I am just old fashioned but a ruler seems simples to me, ( so old fashioned that I have not seen a lego stormtrooper let alone a meteorite, sad init ! not even a leggo brick in the house :( )

I am sooo tempted but I am a simple soul ( and I even have several compound and stereo microscopes waiting :) )

Pull the trigger. You wont be disappointed with the Campo Del Cielo or the Canyon Diablo.

• Like 1