Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it worth getting a barlow?

rubecula

When I bought the scope I had no intention of trying planetary imaging.  However the other night, having removed the focal reducer I thought I'd have a quick go.  The results are these two rather sad images.

Mars dev (Bridles) 06-06-16-.jpgSaturn dev (Bridles) 06-06-16-16.jpg

They were taken with the 5x digital zoom on the Canon 550D mounted on the 8" Celestron EdgeHD at prime focus. Given the state of the captured avi I am amazed that PIPP, Autostakkert!2 and Registax can find so much detail in them.

So I was wondering whether it was worth getting a barlow or powermate to see if I could get larger and more detailed images using the Canon video function. 

And is it just a matter of putting the barlow in the imaging train or are more bits and pieces required to obtain focus?

Barlows are very useful for image scale, but they also change the point of focus. Powermates keep the focus (parfocal) about the same so if you're imaging powermates are the way to go unless you want to deal with extenders. Then again, you have an SCT so you can always move the mirror.

I imaged with a 2x barlow with no extender with a 10" Meade. I have yet to use the 3x to see if I need the extender or not.  Nice images, but yea you will get larger images with the barlow. 2 -2.5 x would be ideal I would assume. 

Nothing "sad" about those images, the Mars is particularly good. Maybe a little red for my liking, but some pleasing details showing. I can't help you with your barlow/ focus question on your C8. A dedicated planetary imaging camera would give some Greta results given the right conditions though.

Really pretty good images. I'm assuming the 1st is Mars and not a Lunar eclipse. Far as i know, many images prefer Powermates over barlows. Its all about the mechanics and focal issues. For imaging with a barlow its best i believe to go for a 3x or a 5x to get the image scale to a good size. I dont know anything about Powermates.

Archived