Narrowband

M16 Pillars of Creation in mono

swag72

This has got to be THE single most iconic image out there - So thanks to Hubble there's masses of pressure with this image! How can you improve on an icon? I have no idea at the moment! But the mono Ha data has come out OK!

This is a low one for me - Only gets to 37 degrees maximum and I was just starting to only image above 40 degrees :) I will be collecting the OIII and probably SII as well (depends on how a bi colour comes out) - But meanwhile I thought that this stood on it's own two feet as a mono target. It was a delight to process as the data is nice and strong.

Details:
Mount: Mesu 200
Scope: Orion Optics ODK10
Camera: QSI683 with 3nm Ha Astrodon filters

28x1800s 14 hours in total.

You can see the larger res image here

M16_mono_SGL.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One hell of an image with an awesome setup! How do you find the mount? I read that it's a triumph of engineering, sure looks like it. How about the OTA?. Can't wait to see this once the rest of the data is added!!!!

Thanks guys for all of your comments - No pressure on the colour image then :D The data won't be rolling until after the moon anyway, so I have some time yet to contemplate it :)

@Maximidius - I have been impressed with the Mesu and the ODK - In fact I love them both. I have a nice alternative scope setup waiting in the wings, but I can't bring myself to remove the ODK it's just fantastic! 

A finely processed Ha mono, defined and balanced contrasts.  I particularly like the framing with the pillars central but on the diagonal - did you have to rotate your ccd for this?

An iconic image as you say but you will endow it with your own style.  This mono is terrific and deserves all the praise.

Archived