SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

S @ N Tonight, 12/6/16

DaveS

Chris and Maggie on the Whirlpool Galaxy.

From the blurb they want as many of us as possible to train our 'scopes on it.

Pity mine are too short and it's going to be rubbish weather for as far as the forecasts go.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having said that all my 'scopes would be too short, this is the FOV of my Trius 694 on the 180 Mak-Cass

astronomy_tools_fov.png

Binning 2x2 gives 0.69 arcsec / pixel

The HEQ5 wouldn't have a hope, but the DDM60 might when it turns up.

Drat - missed it :(  Must try to watch the repeat.  I was very tired last night after a rather strenuous walk/climb up the hill at Hestercoombe Gardens with a local group of garden lovers.  Very enjoyable in spite of a couple of heavy showers - but I digress...

Yes, a good episode, though I'm waiting for the complaints that it wasn't solar system.

But annoyed that the Imaging Day was 1st of June. Do thy think we have time machines?

1 hour ago, Gina said:

Drat - missed it :(  Must try to watch the repeat.  I was very tired last night after a rather strenuous walk/climb up the hill at Hestercoombe Gardens with a local group of garden lovers.  Very enjoyable in spite of a couple of heavy showers - but I digress...

Or you can watch it on iPlayer like I did ;)

30 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Best episode to date. I enjoyed the information and would have liked a bit more by Pete Lawrence. Over all the show contained a lot of useful information.

Derek

Yes, I especially liked the fact they got to control/use professional telescopes like Nasa/s SWIFT.

seb

M51 my nemesis, too high for me, knees still bad to drag the kit outside. good show might watch it again just to take it all in. oh i wish these darn clouds would go away its looking like venus outside without the acid today.charl.

First class, Maggie was in her element, such passion, I love it.  I recorded it and showed it to my 3rd year class today - we happened to be working on the scale of the universe/using the light year, so it fitted in nicely.  More episodes like this please BBC.

Jim

1 hour ago, Droogie 2001 said:

Like many others I really enjoyed the episode. Contained a good variety of experts and very informative.
Interesting to think the classic spiral arms will be lost in the next 100 or so million years!

Looking at the forecast it may be that long before I can image them :)

Dave

BTW did anyone from the Forums get their image of M51 shown on the episode?

They showed a lot of Amateur images which was a nice touch. Not sure if they picked them off of their Flickr group or by some other means?
Though I have an M51 image it is not completed and therefore I haven't posted it.

Just watched it on the 'net - very good indeed :)  I learnt a lot I didn't already know - good presentation too :)  I'll probably watch it again.

Might add - I intend to get more Ha to add to my Ha-RGB image.  Whenever we get any clear nights :D

I watched it twice, M51 is my favourite galaxy even though I've never really seen it properly visually. Imaged it lots of times though. I learnt lots from the episode and thought it was really well presented :) 

Yes, M51 is my favourite galaxy too.  I've not seen it visually either but I'm considering visual as a possibility in the future.  Just need a huge Dob :D

Archived