Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter, Saturn, Mars Planet Parade with Animation: Mak127/NexStar SLT

calli

Hi,

using my wacky NexStar SLT and Celestron Mak127 is often frustrating, but when hunting planets it can be rewarding to overcome the limitations.

The images are done with a ASI120MC and Firecapture. Used a 3x Barlow.

Processed in AS!2, sharpened in Registax, touchups/GIF in GIMP 2.9.x.

Cheers,
Carsten

mars_000014_g4_ap71_RS_3xBarlow.jpg

jupiter__08062016_224950_g4_ap322_RS.jpg

RAW_Sat_001100_g4_ap41_RS.jpg

jupiter__08062016.gif

I just made a comparison of calculated (JuPos) and my imaged Mars. Yea! Not only smudge on the lens or stacking artifacts :-)

Happy Carsten.

PS: The lower one does not fit exactly, messed with the date in JuPos.

Mars_2016.jpg

Stunning images with your ASI120MC.

I have a Celestron 127 SLT and haven't had much success imaging with my Sony A5000 camera and Celestron 8-24 mm zoom EP. Which EP did you use? Was it difficult to focus with the 3x Barlow?

6 hours ago, Jeff-Colorado said:

Stunning images with your ASI120MC.

I have a Celestron 127 SLT and haven't had much success imaging with my Sony A5000 camera and Celestron 8-24 mm zoom EP. Which EP did you use? Was it difficult to focus with the 3x Barlow?

I used a ASI120MC which is mounted focal, so no eyepiece. Same for my DSLR. With the 3x barlow I get 4500mm focal length and the small chip on the ASI120MC makes a small field of view, so much pixels for the whole planet disk.

Focussing is always a pain especially when the seeing is bad. So you often need to do a test and change it slightly. I use a motorized focusser which is controlled via bluetooth, a very nice thing for that high focal length.

Cheers,
Carsten

On 17.6.2016 at 17:36, Jeff-Colorado said:

Thanks for the info, Carsten. Your terrific images are most encouraging about what is possible with this scope.

Is there much difference between the ASI120MC and the NexImage 5?

Hmm. Just did a quick look and if I am not wrong this camera is more a still camera? Video resolution 640x480? Not sure. At least I think the ASI is more versatile, also usable as guide camera and even for a bit Deep Sky... But maybe better ask in a video imager board :-) Of course you will get maaaaany opinions ...

Carsten

Archived