sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Hello,

One Saturday ago I shot some frames on Iris nebula. There should be 21x300s frames at ISO1600 taken with an unmodded Canon 550D, Tair 300s at F5.6 on an AZ-EQ5 guided with dithering. Enough darks and bias, no flats yet. I could take the flats later for vigneting removal, but I could spare some margins.

The result of what I processed until now is here, I could probably lower a little the noise, but I'm not good at processing. Yet :D

I wonder if anyone would mind to show me what they can pull out of my data. The stack is made with DSS, unbalanced and converted with GIMP to 16 bit integer tiff from the original autosave file.

jpg: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByhJ_xuQxcnjMlhTT0sxMk5VY3M

tiff processed: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByhJ_xuQxcnjM1RJTENwU2l2QVE

tiff unprocessed: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByhJ_xuQxcnjcjZ0bzNON1ZDcFE

Thank you,

Alex

NGC7023-F300-2016-05-28_p9.jpg

Edited by moise212

Looks to me like you're getting it right. The dusty clouds which fill this frame simply do require an awful lot of capture time. You'd have an easier time processing it with ten hours' data...

Olly

I did have a quick go earlier but didn't really improve it much. As has been said, the best way to improve it is to get more data, especially with Iris as she has a lot of dusty stuff around her that needs depth to bring out.

I did think the black point was slightly clipped, try and leave a bit of space to the left of the histogram.

It is a really nice image though and you have good colour from the 550D. Lovely round stars as well

Really good!

Edited by StargeezerTim

The Iris nebula for me too was a very tricky object. I was only able to get anything satisfying with 9.8 hours exposure time and thats using LRGB method, pure RGB it would have taken ages.

The 'issue' is that that dark area of the dust in this target is one of the focus points, and getting dark areas with low noise is like getting the background to a low noise level, takes either lots of integration time, or you have to process the heck out of it.
If i were you i would try to add more data if you are able to do it and go for longer exposure times if you sky allows it.

All in all though a very nice image, you retained way more star color than i could (i blew most of it away with 600s exposure :/ )

Kind regards, Graem

Thank you all!

Supposedly I could get to a dark side the next cloudless-moonless weekend, what exposure time - ISO would you choose?

For this session I used 300s@ISO1600. Would you keep the same exposure and ISO in order to stack all the subs together, or would you go for a lower ISO, maybe ISO800 and 600s or even 900s and blend the 2 stacked results afterwards?

I stacked the subs with DSS and processed the resulting image with Star Tools and GIMP, mostly GIMP.

@toxic, thanks! Let it be noise then. I shot with a 300mm FL so that I could get the dust clouds. However, the stars in your image look much better.

Thought I would have a go as well!

I always find Iris difficult to process and the dust can be brought out, but only at the expense of lots of noise. I think you have to aim at an acceptable compromise, which depends on taste! :smile: (the Camera Raw filter in PS is OK for for adding detail, and other stuff, but you have to go easy on it).

Iris.png

• Like 1

Alex, I wouldn't be hard on your efforts you have a good rendition of the nebula and have done all that can be with the available data. You are trying to do the most difficult thing that is teasing dust out of a dark background and it will need lots and lots of more photons to show detail there. 

I have processed it in StarTools and first noticed a lot of gradient at the bottom. I subsequently reprocessed after cropping to leave the central portion of the image which ST found easier to process in the COLOR module-

Autosave_uIRIS.jpg

Best regards,
Steve

• Like 1

Thank you all! The problem is that I wanted to shoot Iris more for the dust clouds. Unfortunately, our clouds are much easier to be seen than theirs.. but.. I won't rest in peace until I don't acquire more data.

Alex

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By spaceman_spiff
      Date taken: 22-23 March 2020. Camera: Astro-Modified Canon 600D. Telescope: SW Esprit 100 with Field Flattener and Baader U-HCS filter. Mount: AZ-AQ6 mount Image: 41 light subs (3 minutes each with 15 sec interval) with master dark, Flat and bias each made from 80 subs. Comments: My second attempt at the Iris, a target that I have always found difficult. I can now start to see some of the detail that others show so well in their images. I am very pleased with it!
    • By meryck
      Had a chance to image at a dark sky site for the first time (Møns Klint in Denmark).
      Previous attempts were always ruined by equipment failure or fog. This time everything went to plan, and it was an excellent experience. This was also my first time properly using my standalone autoguider (Synguider 2), after getting the hang of its eccentricities in the backyard. Have to say that once you figure out all the important info that's not in the manual, it's s fantastic piece of kit. Not having a laptop out in the field made things much simpler.
      Two main targets for the night. Horsehead nebula and Iris nebula.
      Horsehead

(40 x 3min subs)
      Iris

(40 x 3min subs)
      (Skywatcher 200P newtonian, EQ5 goto mount, coma corrector, Canon 450D unmodded @ iso 800, Synguider standalone autoguider, processed with DSS and PI)
      I was amazed at the difference a dark site made, and of course the guiding - but regretted not getting 6 hours of data on a single object when I had the chance - was tempted instead to go for multiple, resulting in shorter stacks. But overall, very happy with the experience, and I'll be heading to dark sites any time I get the chance.

• By eshy76
      Hi everyone - it's been a while! 
      This has been on my hard drive for almost 2 months and I finally got round to processing it...it was quite optimistic of me to try and image this from my Bortle 7-8 back garden, but I gave it a go! While the nebula itself is clear to see, all those gorgeous dust clouds surrounding it were extremely hard for me to capture from my location without a lot more integration time. I think I'll head to dark skies to capture this one next time, along with some more focal length!
      LRGB shot with ASI1600MM Pro and WO Z73. 2.9 hours of integration time.
      Full details here.
      Thanks for looking!

• By alexbb
      Hello all!
      The weekend that just passed we went to my girlfriend's parents. The skies in that rural area are pretty much as good as you can get. I don't have an SQM reader, but Clear Outside estimates 21.91.
      I didn't take the EQ6R with me, I still consider it a big lump of iron, and the AZ-EQ5 should be on its way back this week as a Stellar mount. So I used the EQ5 which was left in the car for a while. While the tracking/guiding on the RA axis is quite good, the DEC control jumps a lot after multiple consecutive guiding commands, I blame the "enhanced" handset.
      So with all the drawbacks, I tried to do align the mount as good as I could and I put the 72ED with the ASI1600 on it and a finder-guider.
      Perhaps also focus could have been done a bit better, FWHM in the subs was 3.x.
      Below is a quick process from last night, no deconvolution yet and a purple area at the bottom that I have to fix. 58x120s lum, 30x120s each RGB.

Last version:

• By Selborne
      Hi Guys,

I thought I would share with you my first DSO taken with my new Orion 8" Ritchey Chretien F8 Telescope.  The frame is made up of 12 x 4min shots, no light or dark frames, using my Sony A7Rii camera.  The camera had the long exposure noise reduction switched on, which does help to reduce the total number of stars captured by the camera, as the Sony A7Rii does tend to overdo the number of stars captured.  The telescope was mounted on my trusty skywatcher NEQ6 mount and the guiding was via PHD 'of course' via my skywatcher ED50 guide scope.
      The shots were taken from my back garden in Stowmarket, Suffolk where I believe I am a Bortie 4 location, so the skies are mostly dark, with just a little light pollution from the main town, no filters used.
      My normal telescope is a Skywatcher ED100 Pro Esprit F5.5, which is an incredibly sharp scope, but with a wide 550mm field of view, great for capturing the whole of Andromeda but a struggle with smaller images like the Iris Nebula.  I will say the Orion RC scope did need to be collimated out of the box, which was a little disappointing, and it was not just a little out of collimation, it was a long way out, but with the use of a collimating tool, I soon had it dialled in.  
      First impressions of the Orion Ritchey Chretien 8" Telescope are fair, not super impressed, as it is nowhere near as sharp as my ED100 Esprit, but then this is to be expected based on price and telescope type, however, the pictures it has produced are pretty good, if you downscale the full 42MP from the Sony A7Rii camera, as can be seen in this picture.
      I purchased this 8" Orion Ritchey Chretien OTA mainly for Planetary work, but as yet I have not had a chance to 'get onto' a planet, fingers crossed some clear nights will arrive soon, so I can try.

I welcome comments,
      many thanks
      Jamie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.