SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Old Father Time and The God of War

Drove home from Warwickshire yesterday (I'd been playing at a folk festival) and had clear skies and bright sunshine all the way. "It can't last," says I, but sure enough, it was clear enough for me to set the scope up and wait for the sun to go down.

Mars was beautifully clear and I could almost make out a little surface detail (well, as much as you can with a 5 inch scope). Tried a couple of photos, but the results were no good.

Saturn was shimmering as it rose and I was feeling a little disappointed as it wasn't going to get much higher in the sky. However, it stayed still long enough for me to snap a few photos and to appreciate one of my favourite sights.

This was through a 9mm EP and I haven't edited the photo at all. 

image.jpeg

I am in the same boat, literally as Micheal, I have not seen either this year, though I did the all the planets in one night but I feel that was the back end of December last year and neither were that good. Lately all I have had is rain which is much more in keeping with North Yorkshire, a place I really love even though I was not born there and often reminded by people in Hull where I used to live.

Alan

A rarity here - a clear night with good seeing!

Mars was the best I'd seen it this apparition, lots of detail (180 Mak). Saturn less so, with Cassini popping in and out of view, but a good brace of moons. Saturn was hovering over the roof of a cottage at the time so I suppose it was rising thermals.

Chris

37 minutes ago, employee2-4601 said:

"Rising thermals"? Sounds like a medical complaint! ;-)

Nearly as bad.......... Air above parked cars, tarmac, houses etc can often suffer from the complaint - no cure apart from a bit of country air, with the scope on grass!

Chris

Mars started off well, with several bright and dark areas. Then the chap at the top of the garden lit a huge fire. I think he brings stuff home to burn, he's regular at it. That probably counts as rising thermals. Later , Saturn was delightfully crisp,

Nick.

Archived