Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

ken spencer

Skywatcher heritage 130 is amazing

Thank you First Light Optics for getting my scope to me so soon. Last night looked at Mars and Saturn using a 2X Barlow (celestron) and got beautiful views. Mars and Saturn with the 10mm and 2X Barlow were very clear. Could see detail on both planets and the position of Saturn made it tilt look lovely.  Can't recommend this scope enough. Will be using it more than my 10inch Dob as a pick up and go scope.

• Like 8

Amazing what portability can do. The UK really puts a premium on ease of use that I am only really just starting to appreciate!

It's ages since I've seen Saturn in mine, this reminds me to check where it is a at what time.

Glad you enjoyed your new scope. Portability and ease of set up make sessions more enjoyable.

Totally agree With you Ken :smiley:.

An amazing Scope for the price and size.

Rune

Yes £132 is a bargain. Question: I have heavy lenses for my other telescopes, what can you recommend for the skywatcher heritage 130? My heavy lenses would throw it out of collimation. The two that come with it are ok but would like some  other suggestions please.

Edited by ken spencer

My Heritage handles the Hyperion zoom + barlow well ( ~400 gr maybe). It handles the weight and holds collimation well.

Are you sure the eyepeices you already got wont work?

Rune

The heritage 130p is a great scope but as you mention it doesn't cope well with heavy eyepieces. I found the BST/starguiders to be the best compromise between FoV and weight. I have an ES68 24mm which is just a bit to heavy as itbends the focuser ever so slightly.

The shortish FL means you can still get a large FoV with lightweight 1.25" 50-60 degree EPs

Some people like to use eyepieces from the same range, I decided having never used any before I'd try different styles.

If eye relief is not a problem a good Ortho eyepiece will work great with your scope, nice and light and crisp clear views , something like the BCO range from FLO.

Interestingly I've just read Neil English's review in the current issue of Astronomy Now. Although he is a self confessed refractor nut his review is very positive. 

Good luck and enjoy the new toy.

I love my Heritage 130P. I dont use it as often as i should. Its very portable and gives great views. Might start using it over the summer for short sessions when it gets dark. It will be a nice hassle free way of introducing myself to summer observing which i have never done before.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Another Heritage fan and can certainly recommend the Skywatched BST lenses as well. I've had great views of Saturn, Jupiter, Mars and the great cluster in Hercules. Can't wait for the nights to come a little darker so I can get some better views.