SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Todmorden

DougM43

Went up to the observatory just outside of of Todmorden last night, I've been meaning to go for months but with it only open to the public on Saturdays and Saturday being the only real night of the week I get to play out late with my own scope I've been putting it off. also like a lot of people I'm not so good at just turning up to places and meeting folk I don't know so was a little nervous of what to expect.

Well all I can say if your like me and unsure whether to go or not, then just go. The people there are a truly friendly and welcoming bunch with a true passion and willingness to share their hobby. we started in the big dome which houses a very nice Meade 16'' telescope, the guy in there (whose name I've forgot) spent a good bit of time teaching and telling us how to go about listening to the ISS as it goes over which I found very interesting and a very nice and cheap project for me. Following on from that we took a look through the scope at Mars, even though it wasn't fully dark and the sky was still a little murky the planet showed more detail than I've ever seen before, so just for that the trip out was worthwhile, we then pointed the scope at Saturn and spent a bit of time looking at that.

after leaving the big dome we went to a smaller dome with another 16'' Meade telescope, there seemed to be quite a crowd in that dome but everybody shuffled round and made room for us, the guys in there, Bob and Martin I think we're just all round nice guys talking about the night sky and the telescope with distances to objects and speed of light facts just impressively tripping of the tongue. With the scope we all took an eye test trying to see the four stars of the double double, then all took turns at Jupiter until a few minutes before the ISS was due to go over when we all went out to watch it. Never seen it before so that was another highlight. As it was getting late after that and Amanda had been working that day we said our goodbyes and signed the visitor book and left a donation. 

All in all it was a great night enjoyed by both myself and Amanda.So if your in any doubt as to whether it's worth a visit then trust me, it is.

Cheers, Doug.

Archived