SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 250px Normal/Flextube Dimensions

Hey guys

I've been interested in getting myself a fairly large dobsonian, but which is portable enough to carry alone ,I have an ancient 6-inch on an alt-azimuth mount(Quite the relic,belonged to my grandfather, but that's a story for another day, haha

I've had my eye on the skyliner 250px for a while now,so I wanted to ask those of you who own a skyliner 250px,either normal or flextube versions, about the weight and size of the scopes in question,and about the weight(as written on the boxes they came in) and the size of those boxes.

You see, I'm from Pakistan, and I'll be visiting the UK for a short time in a few weeks, and figured I would indulge myself and get a new telescope.
Issue at hand is getting it back in the plane though, and if I could get some weights/measurements beforehand, you would make an astronomer very happy, haha.

Oh, and suggestions are very welcome too, if you have any better ideas about what scope I should go for.

I do apologize wholeheartedly if this is in the wrong section though, it seemed the most appropriate at the time, but I've not used this site a while, so i'm probably wrong, haha

Oh,I'm definitely keeping it, it's got one hell of a history behind it, haha.
There are some pictures of it in a thread I made quite some time back,when I was looking for advice on bringing it back up into working order, if you're curious.
I'd be satisfied with it,but it weighs far too much for me too carry about easily in this kind of heat. (And any modern scope will be much lighter,this thing weighs a ton.A colossal wrought-iron base, and a tube that weighs 8Kg without even a mirror in it)

Until recently I had the 250 manual model. I could lift it fairly easily as a complete unit (ie OTA still attached to the base). Not sure I could have done that with the GoTo version (extra weight would probably have made it a little too cumbersome). 

It was certainly one of the easiest scopes in my collection to put in the car, take places and set up etc and the views were very good indeed. My version was solid tube but if you go flex tube I would recommend a a shroud for it  

Im not sure I would have been too keen on putting it on a plane though.  

Good luck with it, hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it. 

??

I won't be getting a GoTo version,so that ought to be quite fine for me.
And as for putting it on a plane,there's no other way to bring it here,so I"m a bit stuck there,haha.Shipping is even less reliable,and things go missing rather often.

The base is heavier than the tube. I have the solid tube version. The OTA itself is heavy, but more cumbersome as it is quite a size. The base is the real tester. Keep it flat packed for transport and assemble back home would be my advice. The boxes are quite a bit bigger than the tube when mine arrived, as there is padding top and bottom, as well as the sides, and adds a good few kilos to the overall weight.

Archived