Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Review - Solar - Quark - 110mm Starwave Refractor

Pig

Again a great service from Altair Astro... spot on is all I can say.

I could probably sum this review up in one word......Gobsmacked :happy7: However, I will use two.... Completely Gobsmacked.

Granulation, filaments, pores, swirls by the hundreds all with depth and body.:headbang: There is also a lovely prominence on show to add to the recipe.

I will challenge anyone who has a dedicated solar scope of 110mm aperture or less purchased from new with no modifications (Peter Drew Excluded) to better this view for under £1500 (The cost of a Quark and a 110mm Frac). You will not be anywhere near it on price, you probably cannot even purchase a double stack etalon and blocking filter for this cost.... It is nothing short of stunning.

The view I am observing is completely mind blowing. To disagree would be complete madness :happy7: Please everyone take this in the context it is meant, I am not having a dig at people that have had bad experiences with a Quark. I have interacted and indeed met with some of these guys for a long time now and have the greatest respect for them as individuals. But please if you are able to visit a dealer and try one before you buy do so.

Quark and Starwave 110ed.JPG

2 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Do you have to use some sort of additional filter with the 110mm of aperture?

Only the UV/IR located in front of the Diagonal.... but do not rely on my actions for your safety....... you must check this out for yourself.

So you just use any 1.25" UV/IR?  I have just been using the Quark with my ED80 (which doesn't need additional filtering).  I am getting a longer f/l, larger aperture refractor, however, and I wondered what I needed to do to use the Quark with it.

Just now, gnomus said:

So you just use any 1.25" UV/IR?  I have just been using the Quark with my ED80 (which doesn't need additional filtering).  I am getting a longer f/l, larger aperture refractor, however, and I wondered what I needed to do to use the Quark with it.

I am using a 2" filter as my diagonal is 2"

The filter box states it is a Baader UV/IR-Cut/L. Item number: 2459210A

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, MBJ said:

i was led to understand that any scope over 80mm diameter needs an erf filter.

You are thinking of a UV/IR filter and all size scopes must use one of these with a Quark, an ERF is a very different filter and covers the front of your scopes aperture.

Only scopes over a certain size require an additional ERF ....... If you visit the "Daystar Homepage" the requirements are very clearly stated......... Do not go by what people lead you to believe, including me.

On 5 June 2016 at 15:39, Pig said:

Again a great service from Altair Astro... spot on is all I can say.

I could probably sum this review up in one word......Gobsmacked :happy7: However, I will use two.... Completely Gobsmacked.

Granulation, filaments, pores, swirls by the hundreds all with depth and body.:headbang: There is also a lovely prominence on show to add to the recipe.

I will challenge anyone who has a dedicated solar scope of 110mm aperture or less purchased from new with no modifications (Peter Drew Excluded) to better this view for under £1500 (The cost of a Quark and a 110mm Frac). You will not be anywhere near it on price, you probably cannot even purchase a double stack etalon and blocking filter for this cost.... It is nothing short of stunning.

The view I am observing is completely mind blowing. To disagree would be complete madness :happy7: Please everyone take this in the context it is meant, I am not having a dig at people that have had bad experiences with a Quark. I have interacted and indeed met with some of these guys for a long time now and have the greatest respect for them as individuals. But please if you are able to visit a dealer and try one before you buy do so.

Quark and Starwave 110ed.JPG

Sounds wonderful - congrats on a fine set up. No doubt if you get the right quark with the right scope, it can provide incredible views. 

40 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Very nice.  Which version did you purchase "Chromo" or "Prom"?

Thank you I have the Chromo, I have had it for quite some time now and it works great in both scopes :happy6:

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 09:43, Pig said:

You are thinking of a UV/IR filter and all size scopes must use one of these with a Quark, an ERF is a very different filter and covers the front of your scopes aperture.

Only scopes over a certain size require an additional ERF ....... If you visit the "Daystar Homepage" the requirements are very clearly stated......... Do not go by what people lead you to believe, including me.

Im thinking of an erf filter....it says so in my original post ?

1 hour ago, MBJ said:

Im thinking of an erf filter....it says so in my original post ?

Ah well you just cant help some folk ...... Still follow the advice on the Daystar site as an erf requirement starts quite a bit higher than 80mm ..... above 110mm if my memory serves me ....... I wont respond to your question next time if your going to be like that :icon_flower: and you can waste a wad of cash on an erf :drunken_smilie: 

1 hour ago, Pig said:

Ah well you just cant help some folk ...... Still follow the advice on the Daystar site as an erf requirement starts quite a bit higher than 80mm ..... above 110mm if my memory serves me ....... I wont respond to your question next time if your going to be like that :icon_flower: and you can waste a wad of cash on an erf :drunken_smilie: 

The Quark is designed to work with refractors and it’s recommended that any instrument with an aperture over 3 inches should have an energy rejection filter (ERF) fitted over the front lens, at extra cost

Just now, MBJ said:

The Quark is designed to work with refractors and it’s recommended that any instrument with an aperture over 3 inches should have an energy rejection filter (ERF) fitted over the front lens, at extra cost

im going off what it says....3 inches isnt 110mm :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, MBJ said:

im going off what it says....3 inches isnt 110mm :icon_biggrin:

Quote off their literature..... This is my last post on this topic

Q: What kind of ERF do I need for telescopes above 115mm?
A: For any telescope above 115mm you really should get a front-mounted ERF. A 115mm refractor will perform better with a front-mounted ERF than with a 2" ERF filter and it is safer

12 hours ago, MBJ said:

Do you have the link to the quote please? My Quark manual says 120mm is the borderline for front ERF and the online manual says the same:

"For telescopes under approximately 120mm of aperture, a screw in UV/IR cut filter can be employed in front of the telescope diagonal. The UV/IR cut filter reflects UV and IR light back out the front of the telescope, reducing temperatures inside. Do not use a UV/IR cut filter with oil spaced objective telescopes, or any telescope with an integrated rear field flattener for Petzval lens. The UV/IR cut filter must be the first optical element to receive concentrated light. "

I think it can get confusing because the UV/IR cut can be used for energy rejection in certain cases. At 80mm or for prolonged tracking of the sun as far as I recall energy rejection is recommended. Which some people might take to mean, front ERF...

In any case of doubt I would suggest email Daystar with your setup.

l and a few others I know have used Quarks at 120mm with UV/IR cut. I have never felt any heat on the diagonal/tube during or immediately after use. But best to follow Daystar's advice as Shaun says and email them in cases of doubt.

Some folks recommend using a front ERF for best performance at the larger apertures, I think the idea there is greater thermal stability. Personally considering the cost of a front ERF, I was happy enough with my 120mm.

Congrats on the new setup, Shaun! I really like the extra detail you can resolve at around 100mm+.

Of course Quarks vary and anyone who has a well performing Quark such as yours is likely to be extrememly happy. You have a bargain! We have got one we are happy with at the moment :)

The main reason I wouldn't buy a Quark again is concern over what happens if it needs to go back for repair. I sent back a filter I had been very happy with and after several weeks was sent back, with no explanation, a different unit that I was very unhappy with. I knew it was a different unit as the one I sent back had a nick on the barrel from new.

Alexandra (Montana) has also sent a Quark back (which had been performing great!). Unfortunately it seems to have come back with the same issue and no explanation as to what tests were done and what if anything was done. Hopefully the issue will be resolved second time around, Alexandra has missed the bulk of summer alas:

https://solarchatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20706

Thank you Luke .... I agree purchasing from companies that are not in your native country carries quite a element of risk. I think you guys were quite unfortunate and Daystar really missed an opportunity to own the low end solar market due to their poor customer service and lack of timely communications. I must admit I had been warned of their reputation before I purchased one, I do not seem to hear any more poor reviews and I wonder if they have ironed the issues out.

Archived