Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Item on the BBS News Science & Technology site

Flat lens promises possible revolution in optics

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36438686

Apparently, using chip-fab techncology it should be posible to make super-quality lenses 30 cm dia or more for pence (cents).

Big, cheap refractors here we come?

Regards,

Doug

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Joaquim Q
      Hi, i..m on Stargazers Lounge for long time ago, but now i have a new scope at last!!! The scope is a Skywatcher classic200p dobsonian, and i received it just one month ago. I.m really happy with it. For now, i.m using the stock eyepieces that come with the scope, a 25mm and 10mm super plossl 52. Yesterday i was received a Celestron Omni barlow, and that expands my magnification range. I posted some pics with my set. 
      Congratulations to Stargazers lounge team, this is one of the best sites to learn about astronomy and equipment. 
      Besf regards to everybody 

• By Kronos831
      So, i have settled between 2 eyepieces for my scopes.
      The explore scientific 6,5 mm 52degree 

and the Skywatcher UWA Planetary 6mm

I have read that the explore scientific gives better contrast and views.
      The explore scientific will give me 184x and barlowed 369x So should i trade less magnification for more detail?
    • By DavidJM
      Dilemna time......
      I've realised that I'm not a fan of barlows, I'm also not loaded with cash. I love my two BST's 8mm and 25mm, I'm not so keen on my 15mm meade.
      I've recently expanded my scope collection due to some inheritance with a 127 Mak, so my question is what would be a benefit to my eyepieces, replace the 15mm with a BST? Go lower than my 8mm? Go higher than 25mm? With BST's I would easily get two below £100 or go for something different and spend up to £100 on one eyepiece? Have a wide range of focal lengths and ratios over my three scopes, do I plan for different eyepieces per scope or stick to common eyepieces? Before anyone suggests Televues, I'll need to spend a fair bit on the wife before they turn up in the post? unless of course someone knows of deals going round
    • By Fieldsy
      Finally feel happy all cases turned up and equipment has a safe place to live ?.

• By Kronos831
      Heyaaaa. Its been a long time!(not really its been 5 days :P) its me againn ! As you have seen by the title i am in a delleema (misspells ftw) between eyepieces
      Here are 2 eyepieces i can buy with my budget
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prettyia-Eyepiece-Telescope-Skywatcher-Astronomy-Multicolor/dp/B012JC3274/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547060539&sr=1-9&keywords=prettyia+eyepiece (ik its 3 eyepieces but there is no other pack that delivers to my location than only includes one)
      and https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-uwa-planetary-eyepieces.html
      But with that excact same money i can buy this! 
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/sky-watcher-sky-panorama-eyepieces.html
      holy moly 82 degrees!
      Something is telling me to ditch the cheap Zoom eyepiece and the planetarys and  just buy the panorama eyepiece from the money i would use on the planetarys and the 8-24 instead.
      Does anyone have any expirience with that particular price range zoom eyepieces or the planetary or the panoramas?
      Also can you reccomend me a size (7mm 15mm)?(there is no way i m buying the 22mm one) my main targets will be dsos as well as planets so. I will be using those in my Celestron firstscope and in my future ( i ll buy it in like 3 months lol Skywatcher heritage 130p)
      telescopes: Focal lenghts :Current telescope:Celestron firstscope 300mm FL
      Future telescope:Skywatcher heritage 130p 650mm FL 
      To sum up:Get the 2 or the panorama?
      If i get the panorama which lenght?(7mm or 15mm)? (i want a size that compliments planets and most dsos ) ( i live in the southern hemisphere {so no orion nebula for me} (my favourite DSO)   for now atleast) 
      Thanks for your time !
      Kronos!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.