Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Tomasz

M81 & M82, M1, M33 with Nikon D7200

Hi!

My next 3 images from December 2015, May 2016 and February 2016. All taken with Nikon D7200, SW150/750 and guided HEQ5Pro at Lisow (35km from Czestochowa, Poland)
BTW I've got a question... Which settings are better for D7200? Higher ISO (eq. 1600) and 300sec frames or lower (ISO400 or 800) and 480sec light frames?

M81 and M82 (May 2016)
7x300s ISO800 3x dark

8dgv0yY.jpg

M33 (December 2015)
11x300s ISO1600 only 1 dark frame

sszSvqU.jpg

M1 (February 2016)
3x300s ISO800 3x dark (only 3 light frames because of very poor weather and high clouds)

J3GaMUu.jpg

Tomek

• Like 11

As far as I know, ISO 1600 with say 300s exposure doesn't give the same result as ISO 800 with 600 s exposure. I guess that is because the sensitivity function is not a line if plotted against the ISO. So, I think that you should go for the lower ISO since it gives you less noise. Furthermore, I am not sure the noise varies linearly with the ISO either. The best thing you can do is to search for those graphs online, for your model, of course. This will provide you with a way to compare these two setting. :happy11:

Adrian

• Like 1

Thank you all, guys!

Dinu Adrian, thanks for your advices and great manual. Last night I took a photo of NGC6888 with ISO800 and 300s frames and I think this is the best settings for my DSLR. I will upload an image in separate thread.

Tomek

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By UKAstroBill
      The weather has been so bad I have had the time to finish a video on using astro filters with the Nikon Z bodies and Nikon camera lenses. There is a manual alternative to the FTZ allowing 1.25 inch filters to be fitted between camera and F-mount lenses, and for some lenses and end of lens solution make sense. FAstroTZ is described here:

• By alexbb
      At the same astro party where I shot the Pleiades and partially Iris + the surroundings, I started gathering data for M33.
      For this image I used only a SkyWatcher 150PDS through which I recorded the photons on an ASI1600MMC.
      Curiously enough, I shot ~3.5h of luminance there under Bortle 2 skies, but a simple STF in PixInisght revealed less details than in 4h of luminance (through a LP filter) shot from home under Bortle 6-7 skies.
      Nevertheless, I put all the luminance together, I shot another 40mins of each RGB + 1h45min of Ha and made an image. A bit of colour only I also borrowed from an image I made 2 years ago, but in a small ratio.
      For full resolution: https://www.astrobin.com/yqr8xe/

• By bottletopburly
      Having upgraded from canon 1000D to Nikon D5300  how do users of the 5300 find it for Astro I will be using with APT , and how do you take flats as I can’t use Av mode as there is nothing in tools menu to choose no lens ,  do you use in manual mode  and look at histogram ? .
    • By Kcks Regulus Star
      On the 2nd of July I closed my curtains one night before I went to bed but, before they were shut I noticed a strange multicoloured light flickering low in the sky in the northern celestial hemisphere. I Thought to myself if that is a star it looks amazing. The next night (3rd of July) I decided to take another look at this multicoloured light which was still there, Only this time I used my binoculars, I was seeing blues, greens & reds. We have all seen stars by looking up into the sky but, I have never seen a star create multi colours before. It makes you feel excited inside and you think that no one else can see this until you tell them and share the same experience together. I believe I was looking at the Capella Star which is the brightest star in the constellation Auriga and your not kidding it is bright. I cant wait to have another look tonight to see if the multi colours are still there. I would like to have taken at picture of it but I am not setup to do that just yet as I am very new to star gazing. I wish someone here can confirm what I saw and to post a picture of it would be awesome. 
      Nikon Prostaff 3s 8 x 42
    • By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Hello to all!
      Posting a photograph of the Summer Milky Way band that I took last week.
      However, I do not know how should I feel about this!
      This is when the band was right overhead, which is a rare sight for us and happens only when monsoon season is delayed. There was decent glow towards horizon but literally nothing at zenith.
      19 degrees north latitude, around Bortle 3 level sky, taken using Nikon 5300, basic lens.
      And with this, I prepare to have no view of stars till September ends 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.