Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

martin_h

King Tut's dagger

I read it too this morning and find it really cool. It was in a time that the iron age had not started yet. And I understand that the pharaoh wanted a piece of the heavenly and therefore godly object that came down, just to be the coolest and godlike man in the country.

I saw that. Probably did not know where the iron came from though. By that I mean their understanding was completely different to ours.

Edited by Physopto

In honesty im not really surprised, they wanted to be counted like Gods and what could be more Godly than to have a weapon forged from metal that fell from the heavens, im sure that would have boosted his Godlike status to no end. Loving both Egyptian history and space I would give anything for that dagger its value must be "out of this world"

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very interesting. You wonder whether such metal artefacts with a heavenly origin were reserved for pharaohs and the like

Depends on the time and culture I guess. The inuit used the Cape York meteorite to make practical tools and weapons.

Meteorite_iron_harpoon.jpg

(Narwhal tusk with cold-worked iron head.)

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Physopto said:

I saw that. Probably did not know where the iron came from though. By that I mean their understanding was completely different to ours.

I dont know, Egyptians did refer to iron as "Metal of Heaven."

To be honest, there is little chance that they had any idea where this metal came from. The meteorite may have fallen hundreds or thousands of years before it was found. In the Bronze Age (when Tutankhamun lived), the only source of iron in Egypt would have been from meteorites.