Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Birthday soon, what would you ask for??

Peco4321

It's my birthday in 2 weeks. I already have politely asked for TLAO, but what else would you ask for. Basically I'm fairly new to this, have a Skywatcher 150p on eq3-2, use my canon 1100d for basic planetary and lunar shots via t ring and adapter. I already have a laser collimator but would like some extra accessories. 

What would you get for a rough spend of £50. 

Perhaps an introductory book on astronomy theory since what we observe can be much more exciting when we know the story behind it?

Or an observng stool? Many like ironing stools for this purpose. You will be very likely to see more when sitting down.

Olly

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Perhaps an introductory book on astronomy theory since what we observe can be much more exciting when we know the story behind it?

Or an observng stool? Many like ironing stools for this purpose. You will be very likely to see more when sitting down.

Olly

Great suggestions thanks. You're definitely right about the 'wow' factor when you know more about what you're looking at. Also, bad back = need for stool!!  

A few things come to mind:

Ironing stools have a wide range of height adjustment which may make them suitable for observing, but haven't tried one myself.

- Several of the old M42 camera lenses I use for imaging cost me less than £50.

- I enjoyed this book about the Antikythera Mechanism and this one about the early history of solar astronomy.

- Astronomical accessories such a heated scarf. ;)

Hope that's some help, and many happy returns.

Some ideas:

Red light torch and handwarmer https://www.firstlightoptics.com/red-light-astronomy-torches/celestron-firecel-red.html

Binoculars http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/10x50.html

An extra eyepiece

Breakthrough!: 100 Astronomical Images That Changed the World by Robert Gendler and R Jay GaBany (a history of astrophotography) http://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Astronomical-Images-Changed-World/dp/3319209728

A decent Malt Whisky

Happy Birthday!

My birthday is the 10th of next month. I have already asked for something, but I won't get it. I haven't been that good of a boy this past year and we can't afford a 40" Ritchie Chretien astrograph.

Well birthday is Friday. Only seen one package from Amazon about book size ? so hopefully TLAO will be my bed time reading at this weekends camping trip. Not taking the scope camping this time though but bins and TLAO will be ample enough. Seen an envelope from the mother in law so may have £40 ish plus a bit to add of my own to spend on a new EP. Feel like a kid at Christmas lol. 

It was my birthday on the weekend and my wife took a couple of my pictures, both mosaics of the Sun in Ha and Moon and had them printed on these really cool glass type mounts. They look great, just need to work out where and how to put them up.

Well I turned 46 yesterday. Got TLAO and already hooked on it, do well written, good size of book, and looking forward to getting to all the DSO sections. 

Got some money so going to get a red light torch, a new 6mm EP and a moon or planetary filter of some sort. Will be doing a bit of research on here before deciding. Thanks for all suggestions. 

So after thumbing through TLAO and comparing all the 5* objects for the northern and southern hemispheres ... is a trip to Oz + a travel scope on the wish list for your next birthday! ? ?

I like TLAO - it does a decent job of setting expectations, and giving that all important bit of info to appreciate what you are seeing with your very own eyes.

Happy birthday & enjoy :)

-Niall 

Archived