New telescope

Hi all just got myself a new telescope still new to this I had a skywatcher 130 before and was happy with the results my wife just bought me a Celestron nexstar 127slt just putting it together now hope this will be a good upgrade as I am still developing my new hobby feels like it will be a lot better to move it in and out of the house as every time I see a clear sky by the time I get outside its cloudy wife just laufts at me but I'm enjoying it any feed back would be nice

Congratulations, Glen :smile:

That scope should give you lots of fun and help you learn where things are in the sky.

...and as I am in the 01246 area myself I hope you get lots of clear sky!! :wink:

22 minutes ago, faulksy said:

nice one glen, just remember to allow it to cool for at least 30 mins before using high power

That advice is spot on Glen. Alternatively, if you have a place where you could keep the OTA outside the house clean, dry and secure it will always be at ambient temperature and ready to go without having to cool it down :wink:

Glen,

One piece of advice you do need with this sort of scope is that they are particularly prone to dew collecting on the front glass corrector plate, which ends your viewing session very quickly. As a bare minimum you need one of these: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexible-dew-shield.html

For longer sessions and in winter when there is lots of moisture in the air and plummeting temperatures at night you should consider a heater band, but that starts to be expensive when you factor in all the cables and controllers you need to make them work.

Thanks for all the advice was out last night got a good view of Jupiter had to do it manually as I had 5 attempts to set it up for auto 3 star alignment was outside until 1 this morning happy days 

Off-topic: I don't know how the temperatures are at your place, but at my place I don't even need to cool the scope at the moment. It's warmer outside than inside, even in the evening.

Archived