SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Whats causing this?

jupiter_j7_g3_ap76_zpsu6enqzmi.png

Anyone know what might be causing the above artifacts on Jupiter? Captured using Altair Astro GPCam, Revelation 2.5x barlow and Celestron 127 Makl, any help appreciated as its most annoying to spend the past few imaging nights and getting nothing!

49 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Is that the final image from a stacked AVI or a single image.

Thats a final stacked image run through registax, as soon as you start cranking up the wavelets it becomes more obvious.

1 hour ago, bunnygod1 said:

What were the capture/processing details? Looks like "Onion ring effect", which is quite often having the gain during capture too low.

Thansk for that, settings were (using Altair Capture) 26ms capture and gain at 5, will stick to 56 and gain at 8 then.

9 minutes ago, Twiggles said:

Thansk for that, settings were (using Altair Capture) 26ms capture and gain at 5, will stick to 56 and gain at 8 then.

not sure about the camera or the settings, Looking at one of your previous Jupiter images there is no "ringing" visible. Are you using roughly the same settings as your Feb image?

No the Feb image was captured at 56ms and gain at 8, thought I'd try different ones lately to try and up the frame rate. Coincidentally I also formatted my laptop and sicne then been having issues with stellarium on it, hence why I was wodnering if perhaps it had been due to graphcis drivers or something during capture.

This kind of thing can happen if using 8bit stack and trying to do wavelets on it. Make sure you are using 16bit stacked image (bmp for example is only 8bit per channel, so use tiff or 16bit png).

One thing I always do is use the histogram tool of whatever capture program you use (all capture programs I have used support it), and set the exposure time and gain so that the histogram is well filled, but doesn't saturate (90% full or so). That generally prevents this onion ringing effect

Hmm

I understand the idea michael, but my experience is that this still doesn't prevent it.

For example, all my pictures are taken with 75% gain and histogram at about 80% but I can still get ringing like this. Sometimes I can get round it using Pipp and AS2, sometimes I will avoid it using registax but it still re-appears. I'd like to decrease the exposure still more to up the video rate and I've tried both up and down and still haven't worked out what the best way of avoiding this effect is...

Mike

Archived