Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Recommended Posts

I used the ADC on Mars and Saturn last night and, with the aid of Firecapture, I think I got it reasonably ok bearing in mind the low altitude.  However, the end results were not that good, probably down to the seeing conditions.  However, it could be me as operating in the dark seems to cloud my mind - thus I started out using a shorty barlow and wondering why the ADC would not fit in.  One thing I am not really clear about is the null position in relation to the ends of the lever slots and the white knob on the slidiing ring which is used to indicate the horizon.  And the Firecapture circles - their orientation also gives and indication of the horizon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as noone seems to know the answers and as I think I have sorted them out they are - yes, I think the orientation of the Debayer circles in Firecapture does reflect the orientation and the knob null point would be as shown in Martin Lewis's photos.  One reason why I had problems was that the null point should be pointing west rather than east.  I understand that earlier versions of this ADC may have been the other way round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since taking delivery of my ZWO ADC, I have yet to have any clear skies.

It does concern me that there's no information from ZWO on how to use the ADC. Anyway... I'm still uncertain how it works :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah thanks... That helps.

What I find odd is that when you move the levers, the image moves in an arc. It will be hard to line up in the camera FOV, or an I being stupid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ChrisWSM said:

Ah thanks... That helps.

What I find odd is that when you move the levers, the image moves in an arc. It will be hard to line up in the camera FOV, or an I being stupid?

No, you are not being stupid! the image shifting with adjustment does make it a little tricky, but once set you don;t need to adjust it much, or that often during a session so it does work ok.

I'm still not convinced I've got the best out of mine visually so need to persevere

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2016 at 10:40, Stu said:

No, you are not being stupid! the image shifting with adjustment does make it a little tricky, but once set you don;t need to adjust it much, or that often during a session so it does work ok.

I'm still not convinced I've got the best out of mine visually so need to persevere

I realise this is an old thread, but my question is pertinent to me. 3 years later, do you still use the ADC for visual? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steveex2003 said:

I realise this is an old thread, but my question is pertinent to me. 3 years later, do you still use the ADC for visual? 

Hi Steve,

I confess I don't use mine any more and have sold it. I found it quite fiddly to use and the results not generally worth the hassle, but obviously that is a very personal opinion. I think the fact that I use binoviewers also added to the complexity and led to me dropping its use.

Stu

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hi Steve,

I confess I don't use mine any more and have sold it. I found it quite fiddly to use and the results not generally worth the hassle, but obviously that is a very personal opinion. I think the fact that I use binoviewers also added to the complexity and led to me dropping its use.

Stu

Thank you for the update. I think that possibly speaks for itself. All reading seemed to indicate positive/very positive results under specific (and current for me) conditions. Yet long term reports of usage for visual seem very thin on the ground.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 22:59, Stu said:

Hi Steve,

I confess I don't use mine any more and have sold it. I found it quite fiddly to use and the results not generally worth the hassle, but obviously that is a very personal opinion. I think the fact that I use binoviewers also added to the complexity and led to me dropping its use.

Stu

I agree, ive been using one for a few years now, not sure its always worth the effort of setting them up to be honest!

If seeing conditions are poor I find them a complete waste of time anyway! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.