Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Hi all, 

So, Im trying to reset the location on my 6SE, and its not giving me the option to set the Long/Lat of the scope.  It merely gives me a list of cities to choose from.

Where on earth am i going wrong? Do i need to do the firmware update that i have been dreading?

Thanks in advance!

C

Edited by MasterC

Couldn't find long/lat on my 6se (but I'm using starsense). However still works beautifully using nearest city (about 50 miles up the road). 

Yeah, i have gone for London as the nearest City, but that's a good 50-70 miles away.

I have an LCM series and it appears to be the next version of the hand controller (Celestron button rather than "INFO"), and i found it easy to configure these settings.

If you going to use the two star alignment method, you don't need a very exact location as it will use that criteria first.

I now use Starsense for alignment  ( which is awesome).  But my experience with alignment is that Colchester is far enough distance from 'London' for Long/Lat to be desirable. I now enjoy astonishingly accurate GoTo's. Brighton is roughly a similar distance.

If I recall correctly; when using a regular Nexstar + hand controller you go <menu>; <scope set up>; <set up time-site> then there are two options <city database> or <custom site>. You choose the latter. However....

In the replacement Starsense Hand Controller it is similar,  but there it has different labels. There it is <time and location>; <view/modify time> or <view/modify location>. But here you have to use the <option> button to toggle between <City Database> and <long/latitude>.  With your HC this might be the solution. 

With the Starsense HC You can also select <time /location source> if it is feasible to obtain those from (say) GPS. Again, I suspect other HC's are similar.  Suggest you explore the "advanced menu tree" in the HC's manual to find what you want. Hopefully the above will steer you in the right direction.

I was messing with my new NexStar last night and discovered how to do it, but currently away from my scope so apologies if this is wrong, and I'll try to update with more accuracy later. Also might be a different remote system as I'm using a 127 Mak

Hit the Align button, then hit back button a couple times to get back into the location and time setup, keep hitting Back until you find an option along the lines of "list of cities", then scroll down to "Custom" or "Manual" location. Then hit enter to input your location

According to the manual you have the option of picking from the supplied options or setting a custom site. Like others the custom site will ask for a Name. Lat, Long, Timezone.

Page 12 says:

Use the Up and Down scroll keys to choose between City Database and Custom Site.

The Menu Tree of the manual seems to list just the main command functions and does not bother to indicate the route to a custom location.

Thanks all!  Hopefully i'm not becoming too reliant on you lot!

noah, you got it spot on! All sorted now!

Mars here i come!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MasterC said:

Thanks all!  Hopefully i'm not becoming too reliant on you lot!

noah, you got it spot on! All sorted now!

Mars here i come!

It's 100% cloud here, so no joy tonight. However, if you have better conditions in Brighton, Mars should be above the horizon soon, but Saturn is trailing it. You might see both between 1:00 and 3:00 (Jupiter too).   If you have not done so already, get yourself a free APP like SkyPortal or SkySafari to guide you what is up there. 

• Like 1

So far tonight, Mars and Jupiter have already been beautifully observed!  Saturn next!  Hopefully in the next 10 mins! 

This is an amazing sport!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MasterC said:

So far tonight, Mars and Jupiter have already been beautifully observed!  Saturn next!  Hopefully in the next 10 mins! 

This is an amazing sport!

Clouds meant Saturn didnt turn up.  But even still, what a night!

Well done  :) gud init :)  Saturn is still rising (max about 1:10am) so still time to do an anti-cloud dance or whatever it is you do in Brighton to appease the cloud-gods!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CrystalFox
      Hello guys,
      I recently got into astronomy so I bought my first telescope. I've read through several articles and the recommendation for a beginner's telescope (value/price) was Celestron Astromaster 130EQ-MD. I bought this from someone who was not really using it and it is in a very good condition. Prior to actually purchasing this, I've watched countless videos on how the telescope works, what needs to be done - latitude, RA/DEC alignment, polar alignment, etc..
      After reading through all available manuals and videos, I finally brought it home from the seller (they've had it for around 5 years but it wasn't used much). After setting up the tripod, mounting the telescope and familiarising myself with all the different knobs, I pointed the mount/telescope towards north. The first thing I had to do was setting up the latitude. Since I am based in London, the latitude is around 52 degrees. Afterwards, I had to align the declination axis so the telescope can be balanced. As I understand it, you should be able to move it to any position on the axis and it should stay in that position. If the front or rear was heavier, I would either pushing or pulling the telescope after unlocking the brackets holding it together. This is where the issues began, I could balance the telescope so it doesn't move while in the horizontal position, however, when pointing it towards north, it would exclusively lean towards one direction - to the left. If the telescope was pointing to north, north-east or east, it would pull towards the west all the time. It is probably easier to show it in the video. I've spent three days trying to balance the telescope by using different methods and it just would not work. 
      I've also tried balancing the RA axis first. This could be somehow done, but the declination axis would still pull the telescope to the left.
      It is extremely frustrating as I don't know what could be causing this. Balancing the telescope should be relatively easy from what I have heard - either push it or pull it depending on where the weight is. However, I have been really struggling to get it set-up.
      I would be thankful for any suggestions and please feel free to ask any questions so I can help with finding out what is wrong.

Thank you.
      VID_20190918_202940.mp4

• By stthomse
      Hi all.
      I have just bought a Celestron 18771-CGL power tank to allow me to get out to the dark skies of the South Downs with my Nexstar 8SE. This is a great bit of kit because it's so light and portable and powers the scope for hours no problem. However, I've also been thinking about getting a dew heater and the only downside of the power tank is it's lack of a second 12v output. I was looking on the First Light Optics website and they sell a DC splitter cable to allow two devices to be powered from a single output. I'm not an electrician obviously, but logical tells me if the dew heater controller is also a 12v device there should be no problem running both the scope and the heater at the same time other than draining the battery faster. Is anyone using a splitter cable in this way? Or can anyone confirm my logic is flawed?
    • By Florence
      I just made an account on here so I could ask this! I have been trying to install the camera driver for a NexImage camera (for a NexStar 6SE telescope) on my Windows 10 computer, but since I bought this telescope in 2004, everything is out of date. The problem is when I plug the camera into the computer at the same time as having the NexImage downloads disk. The instructions say that when this happens, a "Found New Hardware" wizard should appear, and I just follow the prompts to download it. However, this is not coming up. My computer recognises the camera is plugged in, but for some reason it only recognises it as an audio device. 
      I have tried downloading a driver from the Celestron website, but none of them seem to recognise the camera is plugged in. The model no. is #93712, if anyone knows how to fix this problem.
      Thanks, Flo
    • By Wavseeker
      Ladies and gentleman, 
      Thank you for helping me in advance. 
      As a kid I've always been fascinated with the sky and what was in it. The nights sky is filled with beautiful stars and nebulae and I want to see them for myself and be amazed how insignificant we really are compared to this vast open space. So let me adress some of the key points that I want for a first scope.
      1. Around €1000
      2. Big aperture, I want to see as much as possible and as far as possible while not losing a clear image
      3. I would like to have a push to or go to system
      4. Beginner friendly
      5. Size is not a problem 
      8. I prefer reflectors since it seems they give more aperture for the money but if you know a better scope that sees more with less aperture let me know
      9. I have a Canon 550D and maybe I could use this for a bit of astrophotography. This is last on the list tho and can be scrapped if the first 3 points aren't met
      Of course build quality is very important when making my choice so keep that in mind as well.
      I'm looking forward to you guys advice. 
       Happy stargazing and clear skies! 
    • By GavinC
      Hello,
      Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about whether it's possible to mount alternative OTAs with a dovetail or rings to the mount that comes with a Celestron Nexstar 80GT?  In particular I am wondering about attaching a SW Heritage 130P?  I know that Celestron did a 130mm reflecting 'scope on his mount, but it looks to also have that plastic tube clamp, seen on the 80mm image below.
      Thanks,
      Gavin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.