Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

Hi all, 

So, Im trying to reset the location on my 6SE, and its not giving me the option to set the Long/Lat of the scope.  It merely gives me a list of cities to choose from.

Where on earth am i going wrong? Do i need to do the firmware update that i have been dreading?

Thanks in advance!

C

Edited by MasterC

Hi C

If it's anything like Meade, choose a site near you, then you can edit the name and coordinates.

Michael

Couldn't find long/lat on my 6se (but I'm using starsense). However still works beautifully using nearest city (about 50 miles up the road). 

Yeah, i have gone for London as the nearest City, but that's a good 50-70 miles away.

I have an LCM series and it appears to be the next version of the hand controller (Celestron button rather than "INFO"), and i found it easy to configure these settings.

If you going to use the two star alignment method, you don't need a very exact location as it will use that criteria first.

I now use Starsense for alignment  ( which is awesome).  But my experience with alignment is that Colchester is far enough distance from 'London' for Long/Lat to be desirable. I now enjoy astonishingly accurate GoTo's. Brighton is roughly a similar distance.

If I recall correctly; when using a regular Nexstar + hand controller you go <menu>; <scope set up>; <set up time-site> then there are two options <city database> or <custom site>. You choose the latter. However....

In the replacement Starsense Hand Controller it is similar,  but there it has different labels. There it is <time and location>; <view/modify time> or <view/modify location>. But here you have to use the <option> button to toggle between <City Database> and <long/latitude>.  With your HC this might be the solution. 

With the Starsense HC You can also select <time /location source> if it is feasible to obtain those from (say) GPS. Again, I suspect other HC's are similar.  Suggest you explore the "advanced menu tree" in the HC's manual to find what you want. Hopefully the above will steer you in the right direction.

I was messing with my new NexStar last night and discovered how to do it, but currently away from my scope so apologies if this is wrong, and I'll try to update with more accuracy later. Also might be a different remote system as I'm using a 127 Mak

Hit the Align button, then hit back button a couple times to get back into the location and time setup, keep hitting Back until you find an option along the lines of "list of cities", then scroll down to "Custom" or "Manual" location. Then hit enter to input your location

According to the manual you have the option of picking from the supplied options or setting a custom site. Like others the custom site will ask for a Name. Lat, Long, Timezone.

Page 12 says:

Use the Up and Down scroll keys to choose between City Database and Custom Site.

The Menu Tree of the manual seems to list just the main command functions and does not bother to indicate the route to a custom location.

Thanks all!  Hopefully i'm not becoming too reliant on you lot!

noah, you got it spot on! All sorted now!

Mars here i come!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MasterC said:

Thanks all!  Hopefully i'm not becoming too reliant on you lot!

noah, you got it spot on! All sorted now!

Mars here i come!

It's 100% cloud here, so no joy tonight. However, if you have better conditions in Brighton, Mars should be above the horizon soon, but Saturn is trailing it. You might see both between 1:00 and 3:00 (Jupiter too).   If you have not done so already, get yourself a free APP like SkyPortal or SkySafari to guide you what is up there. 

• Like 1

So far tonight, Mars and Jupiter have already been beautifully observed!  Saturn next!  Hopefully in the next 10 mins! 

This is an amazing sport!

• Like 2

Clouds meant Saturn didnt turn up.  But even still, what a night!

58 minutes ago, MasterC said:

So far tonight, Mars and Jupiter have already been beautifully observed!  Saturn next!  Hopefully in the next 10 mins! 

This is an amazing sport!

Clouds meant Saturn didnt turn up.  But even still, what a night!

Well done  :) gud init :)  Saturn is still rising (max about 1:10am) so still time to do an anti-cloud dance or whatever it is you do in Brighton to appease the cloud-gods!