SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Collimation screws? Celestron powerseeker 127eq

Hello all,

After having understood how to align my eq mount, I will now attempt to collimate my telescope. The only problem is that at the back of the primary mirror there are 6 screws and I dont know which of the 3 I can turn to collimate the primary mirror. 3 of the screws are not fully screwed in, like the one in the picture and the other 3 are screwed in.  I just want to know which screws to turn to align the mirror,

Thanks

20160529_150004.jpg

20160529_150012.jpg

They are in three sets of two. Within each two - one is a collimation screw and one is a lock screw. At a guess - the fully screwed in ones are the lock screws and the others are the colli screws. But it's hard to tell for sure from your pic. Does the manual describe which is which so you can be sure?

Hth :)

If the manual is the same as the one online then page 12 gives some basic instruction on how to eyeball a collimation on this scope just by looking down the focuser draw tube (but no advice on which screw is which). Given that it is a Jones-Bird design scope, in order to get a proper collimation you're going to need to disassemble the focuser to remove the corrector lens, which I don't think you want to be attempting at this stage. If my memory serves me correctly previous reviews of this scope have indicated that it doesn't make a noticeable difference anyway, so I would suggest not really worrying about collimation for now and just enjoy the views that your scope can give.

• 1 year later...

I hope you already got the answer but the to keep newseekers like me updated, the ones sticking out are the lock screws and fully screwed ones are the adjusters. :brushteeth:
I really do not think for the ones looking for the easy solution. Of course any newtonian needs to be collimated but this one is bit troublesome since there is no mid circle on the primary mirror and barlow in the focuser. :dontknow:

Well I got this one for about $120 so don't expect much :D 

Archived