Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn Mars and Ben Nevis

Nigel G

I have just returned from a sail to Scotland and through the Caledonian canal, We had one very clear night while on Loch Lochy,  I couldn't resist getting the camera and tripod out, so around 1am I set up on the path besides the canal. Ben Nevis with snow on, Mars to the right and Saturn above the mountain.  I also caught a satellite in one. 

What made this moment a special one for me was as I was taking these,  an otter run right behind me within 2 feet, I  was being so still it didn't know  I was there. Very tempted to grab the camera but chose to remain still and watch, finally the click of the shutter he saw me and trotted off. Magical. 

I so glad I made the effort to go out especially after a few shots of the Scotch.

Nige.

PSX_20160529_111940.jpg

PSX_20160529_112119.jpg

PSX_20160529_111741.jpg

Very nice shots.

On 29/05/2016 at 12:11, Dazzyt66 said:

Great pics. I'm heading up to Orkney and back in early Sept so hoping I get some similar stunning views against a clear night sky ?

I wouldnt bank on it. Obviously first off you have Scotlands relationship with rain. But also at that time of year it just never really gets dark up there. I went with the same idea, took my astrotrac etc and was gutted that the pitch black skies i had imagined never really got past dusk. The image below was taken a tad earlier in the year but was taken at 11.10 at night and ive done very little to it in terms of brightness. And it wasnt as far north either, this was on Skye.

Neist Point.jpg

10 hours ago, symesie04 said:

Very nice shots.

I wouldnt bank on it. Obviously first off you have Scotlands relationship with rain. But also at that time of year it just never really gets dark up there. I went with the same idea, took my astrotrac etc and was gutted that the pitch black skies i had imagined never really got past dusk. The image below was taken a tad earlier in the year but was taken at 11.10 at night and ive done very little to it in terms of brightness. And it wasnt as far north either, this was on Skye.

Neist Point.jpg

Oh well, beer and whiskey it is then... ?

Archived