Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Deep sky imaging with a Newtonian?

Can someone explain the optical reason why deep-sky astrophography only seems possible with an SCT or Maksutov arrangement and not with Newtonians?  I assume it has something to do with the relatively long focal lengths of those vs a Newtonian, but I'm sure that's simplistic.  Thank you.

25 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

Can someone explain the optical reason why deep-sky astrophography only seems possible with an SCT or Maksutov arrangement and not with Newtonians?  I assume it has something to do with the relatively long focal lengths of those vs a Newtonian, but I'm sure that's simplistic.  Thank you.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

It is perfectly feasible to do deep sky astrophotography with a Newtonian telescope, even a modest size instrument will give great results... long focal length scopes such as SCT are better suited to planetary observation/photography.

See this link: -

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210593-imaging-with-the-130pds/

getting the camera set up correctly can be a little tricky with some models and you may either need to use a Barlow lens or move the primary mirror to allow the camera to focus properly.

If you can provide more detail of your set up then members can provide you with a more specific answer and give you some ideas on what you need to do to get going.

Best regards.

Sandy.

Some of the best deep sky imaging scopes available are Newtonian design. 

Large aperture, fast f-ratio, lightweight, CA free, they have a lot going for them :)

2 hours ago, Tinker1947 said:

I think your wrong, but that will need another thread to sort it out......

I wonder in what way? SCT can be used and are used for DS astrophotography. This design is not ideal due to high focal length and moving primary window but it's usable. Newtonians are widely used for DS astrophotography from small to big. As for planetary - SCTs are handy due to their compact size, but when the aperture gets big SCT limits come into play. If you want more than 14" at a reasonable price - you pick a Newtonian (like many planetary astrophotographers did), and if you are using a C14 or even C11 active cooling may be a must to make this big closed OTA follow ambient temperature through the night. Damian Peach used C14 on Barbados, but also a Newtonian in UK. Emil, author of Autostakkert uses a big 16" Dobsonian on a wedge.

Archived