Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quark Images

Ewan

More superb images Ewan, surprised you haven't been awarded with a SPOD or whatever it's called :) 

I think I'm getting too picky about conditions, yesterday afternoon  the Sun was shining but poor seeing and high cloud so I didn't try any imaging :eek:

Dave

17 hours ago, JemC said:

Well i for one am glad you thought to share them,
A wonderful set of images, :happy11: in spite of the conditions,

James

Thank you James, wish I hadn't upped the 3rd image now looks aweful, had a blonde moment I guess.

10 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

Two very dramatic looking close ups. Especially love the 2nd image,  so much action! 

Cheers Pete, I know some like the images quite light plus you can see more detail but I can't imagine being on the sun nothing less than moody & dramatic as you put it.

I shall try & reprocess though just to see what gives.

8 hours ago, paulastro said:

Fabulous images Ewan.  If only I could have such 'under par' seeing  :icon_biggrin:  (plus your skill and know-how of course!)

Ahhh Paul but it really was not that good mate, strange how you can have, what appears to be, clear blue sky just to see it's actually milky blue, that really thin haze is a real pain.

Happy you liked them all the same.

6 hours ago, Macavity said:

Notwithstanding "seeing", this must surely be close to the limits of resolution? :)
Theory aside, I still find some of the DETAIL in these images mind-blowing...

Macavity just out of interest I have never even looked at finding the limits for my set up, don't have a link to explain or calc this do you ?

Your correct though but better seeing should grab something a little extra. I shot over 350Gb of data to end up with about 40Mb of images to process lol

5 hours ago, Stu said:

I think I'd almost be scared to see an image of yours in good seeing Ewan! Amazing stuff!

Too kind Stu just glad to share them. That bigger frac is going to have to wait though, going up from a 152mm is not going to be cheap but already I am thinking of utilising the C8 for solar now but it does have a 50mm obstruction because of the secondary so may not be any better than the 152mm, any thoughts ?

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

More superb images Ewan, surprised you haven't been awarded with a SPOD or whatever it's called :) 

I think I'm getting too picky about conditions, yesterday afternoon  the Sun was shining but poor seeing and high cloud so I didn't try any imaging :eek:

Dave

I wish Dave :-), do you have to send your images somewhere for SPOD ?  (sounds like an infectious disease :-) ), if it's sunny Dave I will generally get outside as you never know, if thin cloud is being a pain I try & go for proms instead.

It's good to be picky which I wasn't when I posted pic 3, sorry about that one.

Thanks Pig, Iainp, Charl, Laud & Luke.

53 minutes ago, Ewan said:

Macavity just out of interest I have never even looked at finding the limits for my set up, don't have a link to explain or calc this do you ?
Your correct though but better seeing should grab something a little extra. I shot over 350Gb of data to end up with about 40Mb of images to process lol

:p More idle speculation on my part? lol. But I KNOW that the typical Angular Resolution
of a Telescope is related to the Diffraction Limit. Most are commonly around 1 arc second!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_resolution  (Pretty coloured plot on this Page!)

Of course, at Night Time and (anecdotally / practically!) real scopes don't achieve this!
But I was intrigued as to the dimensions of the structures you were imaging. The Sun is
about 30 arc min in diameter. Sunspots about the size of the earth - 1/100 that say?
Maybe 20 arc seconds? Oh wait! I have a picture of the recent mercury (12") transit:

http://ryehillastro.weebly.com/uploads/5/9/4/5/59450885/1037891_orig.jpg

Interestingly, you are certainly showing structures significantly smaller than AR2546?!?
So do quite a few / lot of solar images? (Won't get my tape measure out though) :D

Archived