Narrowband

Losmandy G11 Mount

RafalT73

Hi I am the owner of NEQ6 Pro (belt mod) mount and I am seriously thinking about Losmandy G11. I have already read a lot about outstanding reputation of G11 so I would be grateful if somebody could share with me personal experience. Is there any difference in tracking accuracy beetwen NEQ6 and G11?  Some users written about 76 second error (PE) which is typical for this mount (at least in older version) - does new version of Losmandy G11 eliminates this error? And finally, does worth to make the exchange? Below is a screenshot of my last session (M101) where you can see Tracking Error Graph of my NEQ6 - is there space for improvement with G11?

screenshot1.jpg

A G11 visits my place once or twice a year and does handle a longish FL pretty well. It's an old design, though, and short on features. I don't know the best current price but in the UK I see the whole thing advertised for around £4000 which, for me, is far too close to the price of a Mesu 200 which is more accurate, better made, carries a bigger payload and has a better spec.

Olly

The "problem" with the G11 is that it has the same name today that it had 10 or however many years ago. Despite being a very different beast from the original versions. The same goes for the Gemini 2 controller - the early ones (no longer being sold) are different from the modern ones. On that topic if you do buy, make sure you get a recently made G11 - not an old one that the vendor hasn't been able to sell.

I would suggest limiting your research to comments about the G11 since a year ago, to avoid all the talk about it's reputation and need for "tuning up" from times gone by.  Although I had dismissed the mount due to it's problems, several years ago I've started to reconsider it as a possibility. While it doesn't have the absolute payload capability of the Mesu, if you're not looking to support that size 'scope the G11 has some attractions: not least that when you add in the cost of a tripod for the Mesu, the G11 is over €2000 cheaper ;)

Thank you guys for answers. I have already checked Mesu price and indeed is much higher then Losmandy G11. Ragarding manufacturing date of mount, how to check it? Is there some serial number or certificate? And the last thing what about tracking accuracy comparing to NEQ6 - do you have some experience with this?

Best regards

3 hours ago, pete_l said:

The "problem" with the G11 is that it has the same name today that it had 10 or however many years ago. Despite being a very different beast from the original versions. The same goes for the Gemini 2 controller - the early ones (no longer being sold) are different from the modern ones. On that topic if you do buy, make sure you get a recently made G11 - not an old one that the vendor hasn't been able to sell.

I would suggest limiting your research to comments about the G11 since a year ago, to avoid all the talk about it's reputation and need for "tuning up" from times gone by.  Although I had dismissed the mount due to it's problems, several years ago I've started to reconsider it as a possibility. While it doesn't have the absolute payload capability of the Mesu, if you're not looking to support that size 'scope the G11 has some attractions: not least that when you add in the cost of a tripod for the Mesu, the G11 is over €2000 cheaper ;)

In my opinion 2000 euros badly saved. But, of course, I'm a Mesu fan.

Olly

4 hours ago, pete_l said:

...On that topic if you do buy, make sure you get a recently made G11 - not an old one that the vendor hasn't been able to sell...

I have just asked one of the Seller (http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/language/en) about age of the mount G11 - he said all Losmandy mounts sell in shop are 6-9 months old. I hope it should be OK

Archived