Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leo Triplet

Ishan Mair

The image was captured from my home over two nights - on 29th Feb and 7th March.

Total imaging time : ~ 7 hours (65 x 5 min + 25 x 4 min) and Flats. Darks & Bias from library.

With : Canon 1100D, Skywatcher 130PDS, Baader MPCC, HEQ5 Pro.

Stacked & processed in Pixinsight.

The temperature was quite high ( camera exif showing 33 C ) & I almost gave up the processing due to terrible noise in the background areas. But patience paid off & a second attempt with some different NR methods worked to give this result. I admit, I've learnt a lot from the Pixinsight tutorials by Kayron (Light Vortex Astronomy), Jon Rista, Harry, Alejandro and Juan (both from Pixinsight forums) . Thank you guys for taking the time & putting up such wonderful materials.

Thanks for looking. Please feel free to comment or criticise.

MasterLight_LeoTriplet_Final.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cinco Sauces said:

Very beautiful! I find amazing how well you managed to control the thermal noise at those high ambient temperatures.

Very true. You've done wonders with modest equipment and what must have been a terribly difficult imaging environment. The galaxies are pin sharp, the sky neutral and the stars small and tight.

Olly

Thank you everyone.

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Very true. You've done wonders with modest equipment and what must have been a terribly difficult imaging environment. The galaxies are pin sharp, the sky neutral and the stars small and tight.

Olly

I think I might have allowed NR to damage some details in Hamburger. But neutral sky is what I rarely manage to get. Cant tell you how pleased I'm with that.

5 hours ago, Cinco Sauces said:

Very beautiful! I find amazing how well you managed to control the thermal noise at those high ambient temperatures.

All I'd say is "Just managed" :icon_biggrin:.

I don't know if this would be practicable for you but some imagers I know use physiotherpist's gel freezer packs to cool their camera bodies.  This kind of thing. http://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Reusable_Hot_Cold_Gel_Pack_Large_/3170/38181.html

If you took a few pre-frozen ones into the field in a freezer box it might help.

Olly

Well I'm gobsmacked... It's guys like you that make me question my move to ccd :) .

A nice smooth image with amazing detail in the galaxies. If I was to get picky I'd say a little more colour in the stars might work but that would just be pedantic. Well done Ishan and keep 'em coming :D

44 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I don't know if this would be practicable for you but some imagers I know use physiotherpist's gel freezer packs to cool their camera bodies.  This kind of thing. http://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Reusable_Hot_Cold_Gel_Pack_Large_/3170/38181.html

If you took a few pre-frozen ones into the field in a freezer box it might help.

Olly

What a novel idea Olly ! I have a physiotherapist friend whom I'll ask about these packs. Although, freezer box might only be feasible at home.

29 minutes ago, Scott said:

Well I'm gobsmacked... It's guys like you that make me question my move to ccd :) .

A nice smooth image with amazing detail in the galaxies. If I was to get picky I'd say a little more colour in the stars might work but that would just be pedantic. Well done Ishan and keep 'em coming :D

Thanks Scott. Just PM me your postal address...I've already started packing my DSLR. It will arrive at your doorstep in 10 days. Send your CCD in return.:hello2: Just kidding. Your flickr images are just amazing. Well, I like that you are picky. :icon_biggrin: It would be a thing to look out for next time.

Great image. I agree with the commenters above; it's impressive how you managed to control the noise. Last winter I imaged at low temperature (-20 C), and noticed a remarkable reduction in noise, so I can imagine that doing photography at +33C must be a nightmare.

Well done!

BTW, for noise reduction in PixInisght, try the recipe in this forum post

http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=8942.msg57635#msg57635

You may have to play with the mask settings, but results can be amazing, while preserving faint detail.

Good luck

Thanks guys.

On ‎28‎-‎05‎-‎2016 at 00:07, wimvb said:

Great image. I agree with the commenters above; it's impressive how you managed to control the noise. Last winter I imaged at low temperature (-20 C), and noticed a remarkable reduction in noise, so I can imagine that doing photography at +33C must be a nightmare.

Well done!

BTW, for noise reduction in PixInisght, try the recipe in this forum post

http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=8942.msg57635#msg57635

You may have to play with the mask settings, but results can be amazing, while preserving faint detail.

Good luck

Thanks Wim, I've to be prepared for a variety of noise patterns once its above 25C. increasing no. of lights shining directly into the camera is the real nightmare though !! Every few month, somebody around my house needs to start doing something in night. And we don't have a light trespassing law. On topic, I bookmarked that page. It hosts a lot of nice NR techniques.

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Unfortunately you seem to have just missed the supernova:

Worth another try?

Actually, that would make a tremendous Before and After shot.

There is a slightly brighter area at the right location in your image of the galaxy, but that doesn't seem to be the supernova.

I can only echo what everyone else has said - This is an absolutely stunning image... especially given that it was taken with a DSLR... and in a hot climate. 

The main reason I switched to CCD 5 years ago was because I so wanted setpoint cooling - The exif data of my 10 min DSLR exposures were getting up to high 20 degrees C (ambient about 17 C) and I remember leaving the camera in the fridge for days taking a dark library (unimpressed wife!).  Although the fridge was c. 4C, the 20th 10 min sub came out at such a high temperature I had to check my fridge!  But you've really maanged to get on top of all that - VERY impressive indeed :icon_salut:

10 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

I've seen some cracking images on here in my short membership but that is one the most beautiful ones I have ever seen, simply wonderful.

Thanks Mark. There's a whole lot of treasure of nice images here on SGL. Mine is just a small drop in this ocean.

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Unfortunately you seem to have just missed the supernova:

asassn-16fq.png

Worth another try?

The sky's getting more cloudy each day. I'd have to be quick.

6 hours ago, wimvb said:

Actually, that would make a tremendous Before and After shot.

There is a slightly brighter area at the right location in your image of the galaxy, but that doesn't seem to be the supernova.

I checked it carefully multiple times. It's not there.:cwm10: It's the brighter region of the galaxy very close to it. Before/After shot only if  there is a type of "co-operating" clouds.

6 hours ago, AndyUK said:

I can only echo what everyone else has said - This is an absolutely stunning image... especially given that it was taken with a DSLR... and in a hot climate. 

The main reason I switched to CCD 5 years ago was because I so wanted setpoint cooling - The exif data of my 10 min DSLR exposures were getting up to high 20 degrees C (ambient about 17 C) and I remember leaving the camera in the fridge for days taking a dark library (unimpressed wife!).  Although the fridge was c. 4C, the 20th 10 min sub came out at such a high temperature I had to check my fridge!  But you've really maanged to get on top of all that - VERY impressive indeed :icon_salut:

Thank you Andy. setpoint cooling really is a winner. I didn't dare to put my camera in the fridge (no wifey yet though). Before this image, I thought, a DSLR isn't even worth a try above 25C, but I guess the 90 subs helped. Now, 90 subs at a dark sky...I'm excited but I'll have to wait for the wet season to be gone.

Excellent image, Ishan.   I like the colour and the detail in the galaxies.  It is amazing to think what we are looking at too isn't it? Three entire galaxies 35 million light years away! Phew! 

Your Baader coma corrector has really worked well hasn't it! I took almost the same scale photo with my 200p a few weeks ago and I can quite clearly see the coma in each corner of my image.  I have a coma corrector, just didn't use it. 

Archived