Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging narrowband - halo-free OIII filters?

Aenima

Hi there,

I'm hoping to buy an OIII filter for astro-imaging and i've read a lot of halo related posts and am unsure which to go for.

Are the Baader OIII now halo-free? it sounds like OIII are notorious in general for halos and i want to be reasonably sure before i hand any money over.  

My astronomik ha 1.25" shows bad haloes, but the clip version doesn't although that one is newer. Will the astronomik OIII clip be halo-free?

I am unable to reach the budget necessary for Astrodon, so i'm thinking the next best will be either Baader or Astronomik, is this pretty accurate or am i missing a manufacturer?

Many thanks for any assistance in advance!   

As far as I know, the issues are with the the older Baaders. I'd be buying from a reputable detailer such as FLO, who offer excellent customer service, and then test it at the earliest opportunity. If there's an issue, FLO are sure to help.

12 minutes ago, swag72 said:

As far as I know, the issues are with the the older Baaders. I'd be buying from a reputable detailer such as FLO, who offer excellent customer service, and then test it at the earliest opportunity. If there's an issue, FLO are sure to help.

Yeah, i'm definitely liking the baader OIII - they look good on paper, and plenty of decent images around. 

Thanks for your feedback, :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.

I had massive Halo's on the baader OIII Filter (1.25"). Baader admitted the problem and re-called the filters of a certain year (including 2014 + 2015 if i am not mistaken).

BUT: i still have Halo's, and not small ones. After Baader tested my replacement filter one more time, it turns out its not the filter, its my OTA (their suspicion, i was not able to confirm yet).
I image with all the baader filters (L through SII) and assuming its really my OTA, the rest is of good quality and at a nice price tag comparing to what i've seen around in the stores... :)

Kind regards, Graem

i use the baader 36mm unmounted filters the only ones that have a halo is the S2 and the blue but the blue only shows up when doing over 5 min exposures the S2 is 2 min and above but you can deal with the halo's with a bit of practice. 

sorry just noticed it is a dslr -is it still colour if it is why bother with NB filters

Yeah, i have read quite a number of reports online of persistent halo's with the baader AND astronomik after the apparent time period where they recalled products and resolved the problem.

Anyhow, i bought the baader 2" OIII 8.5  and it seems to be almost halo-free - i've noticed one or two larger brighter stars with mild halo (see image).

m27 bi colour

the bright star near the center top shows what might be a halo - (its only in the OIII subs)

On 6/5/2016 at 18:24, ChrisLX200 said:

You're intending using this with a DSLR? OIII signals are notoriously weak - weaker than Ha anyway, is there precidence for using one with a DSLR?

ChrisH

I do have an old CCD - a meade DSI with the grid passive cooling on the back. But also i have been using my filter-removed 350D with some success doing narrowband imaging, mostly Ha and OIII as i've yet to get a SII filter. eXi63B 

Here are some examples from the 350D and astronomik 12nm ha clip and skywatcher visual OIII filters (ED80 scope)

20624030922_fb7986ecc9_o.jpg21312217966_b7fcc56450_o.png

Rosette nebula Bi-colour

NGC2244 & Rosette

They aren't CCD quality but I personally like them enough to think it IS worth trying with a DSLR ;) 

Thank you for the replies to the original post. :)

Nice images :)

I used a Baader OIII 36mm unmounted filter when I was imaging with an EOS 1100D DSLR (astro modded) and found it fine :)  Bought from FLO.

Archived