Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Hello,i'm gonna buy the skywatcher heritage 100p(dobsonian reflector).Many people say that one of the first things you need to do is to collimate your telescope even though you just received it.Please tell what to do is this necessary and how can i collimate my telescope easiy if needed?

I would recommend that you purchase a collimation laser. I've found this to be an incredibly fast and easy way to colimate the scope  before each viewing session. 

I agree, but you need to make sure that the laser itself is collimated.

try it first though, it was quite a while before I first did mine, I still got great views.

if you're worried about it, try and find a local club, there will be someone there now than willing to help.

• Like 1

You at least need a Cheshire tool. Its really not that hard once you understand what you are looking at through the focuser. This video does a pretty good job of explaining what you'll need to know..

If the scope is bought new, you shouldn't need to collimate it, it is usually collimated at the factory and should reach you in perfect condition.  Having said that collimation is a straight-forward task, but you will find that a small scope like the one you suggest does not easily loose collimation, so I shouldn't worry overmuch.

• Like 1

I admit I am old school, but I really think there is no need for a laser collimator. Not only are they a bit expensive, but also, as already was pointed out, the collimator itself has to be collimated for good results. In any case, do not forget that with or without collimator, the only way to achieve perfect collimation is by means of a defocused star image, after rough collimation has been done visually. My suggestion is that you learn to do the steps from the wealth of books, forums, videos and internet articles (like this one: How To Align Your Newtonian Reflector Telescope) out there. It is more difficult with short focus telescopes, but it is not impossible, and definitely something anyone can learn with a bit of patience and dedication. Good luck!

Edited by Cinco Sauces
typo
  • Like 3

Hi astrojim01,

I have the Heritage 130p. I bought it before christmas last year. It still provides great views and looks collimated. You can do the star test first - you zoom in on a star, focus it and the slightly start to defocus. If the image is symmetrical all should be fine.

I also ordered one of the collimating lasers however, for when the time comes.

Cloudless nights to you all!

I have a 130p and find it holds collimation well, just got a 200p-ds and needs collimating more often if not before every session. I would think a 100p  would also hold collimation well but I would get a Cheshire to check it is. Laser might be over kill for that scope being that the focuser isnt the best for rigidly. In my 130p think the same focuser theres too much slop and the laser would move about too much. A Cheshire would do just fine.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mark Daniels
      Been looking for neat solution to taking small scope abroad using my stuff and not paying out for a dedicated set up. 
      Have a skywatcher finder which with a barlow and 90 * gives good results. I was looking at an Orion mini eq tabletop tripod but hard to get hold of. 
      Play a bit of music in a band and have a few microphone stands so got to work with a hack saw. 
      I used a mic holder as in photo they are about £3 and cut the holder part off and filed flat. Drilled hole through to accept large camera thread (£3 screw bolt)
      this allows shortened micstand to fit to the alt az mount. (Mic stand 15 of ebay. )
      the dovetail was expensive as i wanted green and got from germany £30 with couier the white finder bracket from tring harrisons £6
      so thats £60 but if i went for black dovetail less than £40  seeing i had mic stand already quite a cheap solition
      the stand is very stable and provided the telescope is moved clockwise when rotating freehand the threads stay tight  with the fine controls either direction works well
      overall wiegt is bit over 3 kg and will fit in a standard aluminium camera case 
      hope this if useful 
      Mark👍

• By Kcks Regulus Star
      On the 2nd of July I closed my curtains one night before I went to bed but, before they were shut I noticed a strange multicoloured light flickering low in the sky in the northern celestial hemisphere. I Thought to myself if that is a star it looks amazing. The next night (3rd of July) I decided to take another look at this multicoloured light which was still there, Only this time I used my binoculars, I was seeing blues, greens & reds. We have all seen stars by looking up into the sky but, I have never seen a star create multi colours before. It makes you feel excited inside and you think that no one else can see this until you tell them and share the same experience together. I believe I was looking at the Capella Star which is the brightest star in the constellation Auriga and your not kidding it is bright. I cant wait to have another look tonight to see if the multi colours are still there. I would like to have taken at picture of it but I am not setup to do that just yet as I am very new to star gazing. I wish someone here can confirm what I saw and to post a picture of it would be awesome. 
      Nikon Prostaff 3s 8 x 42
    • By Lachlan
      Hi everyone, 
      as the title suggests, I've noticed that the RA axis of my HEQ5 pro mount has some give. I don't notice it while the clutch is unlocked, but it's very obvious with a locked RA clutch. Any suggestions on what could be causing it/what adjustments need to be made? 
      Thanks 
    • By borapanda
      Hi everyone!
      I have a Celestron Astromaster 114 eq (114/1000mm), and I do use it whenever I can, but I'm still quite the newbie when it comes to observing.
      My point is, I'd like to observe the planets, but  I dont't think the standard eyepieces that came with my telescope (10 mm and 20 mm) are powerful enough for that. For reference, the "furthest" I could see were the rings of Saturn , but they were very small and faint too.  
      Are there any specific eyepieces you could recommend? :) And of course, any tipps and advice are also very much appreciated.
      Thanks, Sophie.
    • By Fraunhoffer
      lets imagine I wasn't to see a nice DSO about 15' size and I think it should look good nicely framed with a 1 deg field of view in the EP..
      Which would give the better (or higher probability of seeing anything at all ) view from a semi urban light polluted home site (e.g Bortle 6)?
      a) an 100mm f/6 refractor (fl 600mm) and a 10mm EP (60 deg afov, gain 60x = fov pf 1 deg)
      (and exit pupil of 100mm / 60 = 1.6mm)
      or
      b) a  200mm SCT with focal reducer to give f/6 (fl 1200mm) and a 20mm EP (60 deg afov, gain 60x = fov of 1 deg)
      (and exit pupil of 200 / 60 = 3.3mm)
      My gut feeling is that the SCT should give a better view just based upon its 2xaperture - but Im not sure I understand fully the maths why.
      Is the larger exit pupil going to result in a better / brighter / more successful view?
      Or will the view be 'roughly' the same ?
      Or have I got it all wrong.....

Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.