Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frustration, frustration....

Caz

....and more frustration..... :p I'm froze to the bone, I can hardly type, my fingers have frost bite, and have absolutely nowt to tell for my efforts. My electronic guider is way out of alignment, and do you think I can get it back, no, a hour and a half I've been out there farting around with it, its ready for the bin.... :x Theres a horrible high cloud, yet again, I can hardly see the faint stars that I'm using as a guide, and the biggest light polluter of all is out tonight, so all in all, I'm *beep* off. I'm starting to think I'm not cut out for this, patience is dying hard and fast.... :p

All I want to do is spot, 1 maybe 2 messiers, is that too much to ask????.... :lol:

Anyone with words of wisdom, cause boy do I need them.... :(

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have just been out there greeted with cloudy skies ,after watching horizon program about dark matter,was reasonably clear when i went in to watch the program,but never mind thats the good old uk weather,will try tomorrow night,look on the bright side :sunny:

I know I get to feeling this way from time to time. I just pack away the scope and do something else that night. You know that old saw about "The courage to change those things I can, and the wisdom to accept the things I can't?" Well, you can't do anything about clouds or bad seeing, and sometimes when you are tired and frustrated isn't the time to go messing with your mount, either.

Go see what's on the telly.

Get a GOTO... :lol::p Sorry.

He has a point. GOTO will find it even when you can't see it, then track it so when that elusive break in the clouds does appear, you need only rush to the eyepiece and... there it is :p

I guess that doesn't help either :(

The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.

Hang in there girl!

I'm ready to smash something, and it aint' an egg... :shock:

If you think your frustrated and angry NOW just wait till you DO smash something.

If you are just wanting to observe objects in the night sky what do you need a guider for?

Just polar align and let the mount do the tracking.

IMHO guiders are only useful for imaging.

Anyway what happened to the girl who was just happy to observe anything through her scope?

How do you mean Caz?.....It's just one night of bad seeing.

Frustrating, but makes you long for the next clear night. :(

I mean, admit defeat in the sense of resorting to upgrading to a GOTO.... :lol:

Learn how to use the setting circles on your mount and you will not need to get a goto.

Mark

Learn how to use the setting circles on your mount and you will not need to get a goto.

Mark

That will help a lot, but as it stands at the moment, I can't see polaris were I observe from....

if you use a compus true north is only a few degrees out, maybe another member would care to tell use which way :lol:

this might help when you do get polar aligned

http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=2455.0

Mark

That will help a lot, but as it stands at the moment, I can't see polaris were I observe from....

This is just a suggestion.

Take the scope/mount to the other side of the obstruction and polar align it,(one of the tripod legs should be pointing north)

Have a compas handy so that you can see exactly where the northern pointing tripod leg is in relation to the compass,

Then just take it back to where you observe from and do a rough northern tripod leg alignment.

This should do you for visual observing.

I have the same pole star obstruction problem and this works for me.

As a short term fix re. finding M objects. If you look to the East now there are few of the easier globular clusters starting to make an apperence (yes I know I bang on about them!! :lol:) they can be much easier finds than the faint galaxies or nebula..

M3

M52

M92

M13

BTW the bright red star in that area is Arcturus a double star if you want to try to split it.....

Archived