Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trip to dark site

Peco4321

Been looking forward to this weekend for ages, not only first camping trip with new tent, first camping trip in over 2 years since breaking my back (no sympathy required, it was my fault not the ladders!), but MAINLY because we are going to Dalby Forest North Yorkshire, which is a well known dark site. 

You've guessed it, the forecast is a bit dodgy. Still taking my scope though, may get a few views. 

Good luck on your trip and tell us how it goes! With the beautiful Yorkshire countryside with no light pollution, I can imagine it will be an experience you will never forget! Still, though should've chosen South Yorks:wink:

I was planning a trip up to Dalby forest earlier this May, but sadly couldn't go ahead with the plans for this month. Hope at some stage later on in the year to get there to try out the dark skies. Hope you get some good clear skies if possible. :) 

First night got all camping stuff set up, great new tent, a Vango Airbeam. Feel bad to say it but I was glad it was cloudy as we were all shattered so I didn't feel bad about not trying to observe. Forecast for tonight looks very promising ✨✨

Well it all looked promising but in the end it was a bit hazy and this time of year, even in North Yorkshire, it didn't quite get really dark. I did view Mars and Saturn that did seem clearer and stars were sharper through the scope but I have just collimated as well. 

Nevertheless, still enjoyable to be out having a go. 

Archived