Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Farewelleth, Quark!

Drop Of Sun

Hi Folks!

I am hanging up my Quark imaging boots! (apart from processing the mass of old unprocessed shots!). Alas, my beloved imaging Quark went down in action some time ago. I've had a resurgent go with my backup Quark and also with my wife's Quark, the urge was still there, but they just aren't the same for me!

My wife's Quark shows some great detail in places, but seems to have this issue (it's less of an issue at the eyepiece, though still present)

26905392820_73e5b4cc81_b.jpg

Anyway, from my wife's Quark (I did four tiles for the wider image (using just the sharper left bit as per image above, from each tile), Region of Interest + Drift for the other as possible solutions for the full chip problem)

27154727541_4c68776bf2_b.jpg

27143243612_d2ffb92bea_c.jpg

And from my backup Quark:

27172061921_5be590b3cd_b.jpg

27175961351_5ea9ef5bb4_b.jpg

26540386314_1047668e37_c.jpg

I'm going to stop talking about my issues with Quarks from this point on. Some folks are doing incredible images from this little device that costs a fraction of the competition, and some observers adore their Quarks too! So farewelleth, imaging Quarks, thank you for the fun times! :)

Thanks for looking!

---

Equinox 120, Quark (retired/returned to relieved wife), ASI174, 0.5x Reducer

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame it ended like that Luke, but I guess you've had a good, if turbulent run with the Quarks. Still can't decide if I will buy another, I think a PST mod is more likely though. I've got most bits.... Apart from the PST ?

So, what next for you in terms of Ha kit?

Well you have given it a good run Luke and if it isn't working out then the time surely comes when enough is enough. Do you still have your Solar Max for visual observing ?

I must admit, on an "entry level" budget, I was sorely tempted! I have still
never found out how it worked (I could if I needed)! "Pathos" anyway? :o

As my "last" scope purchase, H-Alpha has proved more challenging than
I had envisaged - Or indeed hoped! lol. But (genuinely) rewarding too. :)

Shame to see you stop Quarking Luke, will miss your images.

We should just reflect on how far solar imaging has come in a few short years, the Quark images you're not happy with would have had people in raptures not long ago :)

Dave

Oh dear! you always got such good results and these are great too :):):) I wonder if the smear is a blob of grease somewhere? I know Mark T needs to keep wiping his on the inside to stop this happening.

Alexandra

Thanks for the replies, folks!

Stu, we are going to carry on using Sarah's Quark for observing! Good luck if you go the PST mod route. JP Brahic's PST mod images blow my mind! Sounds like a good PST mod makes for great contrast?

For my processing fix I am going to go SDO data after all! I had a think about all the pros and cons of the various options and talked them through with Sarah. That really helped me to think about what actually suits my needs! I considered the Solar Spectrum, which Michael has been flying with, and my apparent "dream scope," the Lunt 100 double stack. Sarah was looking quite ill at this point! We don't have those funds, but perhaps somehow long term...

When I mulled it over, it was obvious what the best fit for me was: processing SDO data! Sarah was looking quite happy then :D I know most folks want to capture their own data on their own gear, it is then their pic. It doesn't bother me to use other people's data, I just like processing it :)

Shaun, the SolarMax has gone, alas! We figured we'd buy a Lunt 50 later if we missed it. I think we'll use Sarah's Quark for now.

Pete, words of wisdom! I am slowly finding in astronomy that I have the most fun when I do what fits best, not what I think I want to do! That drew me to solar in the first place :)

Macavity, I was really impressed with your recent shot, well done for overcoming the challenges!

Dave, yes it's amazing what is possible now! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Quark images and from the rest of the Quark gang. My backup Quark still shows some interesting detail for sure, the problem is I do not enjoy processing images from it, it feels like I am fighting it.

Alexandra, thanks for the idea! Mark's grease-free Quark images are amazing! I had a good look at the top and bottom surfaces and they looked nice and clean and smooth to me? I am really scared to touch them in case I then cause a problem to Sarah's Quark!

Anywho, I am now really looking forward to playing with SDO data again. Here's my first effort for some time. I've gone for a pencil sketch look -when I tried inverting it, it looks a bit pencil-like with multiple "sketch lines" around the loops and "pencil smudges" on the disc?

27164922672_ebb2562cd7_o.jpg

---
Level 1 data courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams
Further processing: drop_of_sun

Wow! can you do animations too? I was wondering whether I could ask a big favour? I took a short animation in CaK and had a strange CaK bright feature, I am guessing magnetic field lines. It would be nice to know what was happening in H alpha or higher in the chromosphere at that point. Perhaps look at the far UV to see the magnetic fields lines. I'd like to know exactly what I saw. The time was 08:03-08:23 UTC on the 22nd May and I was focused on the large spot (of course). My animation for reference is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandra4/27072423872/sizes/o/

I would be forever in your debt if you did manage a corresponding movie :) it would be a good challenge :)

Alexandra

Some products are plagued by QC and the Quark is right up there with the worst (to mix my ups and downs!!:icon_mrgreen:) The images you have made, it must be said, are sensational at best and should give you lasting satisfaction. They really are special.

Erm, 'fareth well' or 'farewelleth' ...? Who cares!

:icon_biggrin:lly

Luke, your Quark images were the first I saw on SGL & was THE reason I ordered one shortly afterwards.

Why can't it go back to Daystar under warranty mate ?

Those images up there as well are stonkingly good mate, so still keep your hand in & use the 'good' Quark for now.

Atb

Ewan

Thanks Ewan! Your images are a great advert for the Quark! Thanks for the warranty idea, I can't go into details, as I'd have to go into Quark issues again. I'm just a movin' on :icon_biggrin:

Alexandra, thanks for the challenge! I accept! Please give me some time, I've not tried an anim yet but I think the data is there... I was thinking, it would be nice if I could try and make my SDO efforts a little more relevant, e.g. might be nice to post a recent AIA171 to complement the white light, Cak and h-alpha SGL images?

26676346744_3901e7d224_o.jpg

On 26/05/2016 at 13:07, Montana said:

Wow! can you do animations too? I was wondering whether I could ask a big favour? I took a short animation in CaK and had a strange CaK bright feature, I am guessing magnetic field lines. It would be nice to know what was happening in H alpha or higher in the chromosphere at that point. Perhaps look at the far UV to see the magnetic fields lines. I'd like to know exactly what I saw. The time was 08:03-08:23 UTC on the 22nd May and I was focused on the large spot (of course). My animation for reference is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandra4/27072423872/sizes/o/

I would be forever in your debt if you did manage a corresponding movie :) it would be a good challenge :)

Alexandra

I'm not too sure how best to post videos here. Hopefully something is shown below? I just used Helioviewer as it makes it nice and easy to save out a movie! Does that look right / shed any light on things? Can you even see it?!?! :D The video is from 7:30 to 8:30, the timestamp is there but hidden under the vimeo controls  :BangHead:

AIA1700, which looks a bit CaK-like to me, didn't seem to show much?

Ah tis a shame Master Yoda of Quark is hanging up is boots, although I can't see it lasting for to long  & the double stack you mentioned sounds tasty  :evil62: Arm & a leg anyone?
I did mention the quality issues you've had (Didn't mention you by name by the way) on a couple of Facebook astonomy groups as I know you've had problems but it seemed to go on deaf ears. Don't get me wrong they're a cracking bit of kit especially with some of the images I've seen produced with them but it would seem quality is an issue.

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 15:16, ollypenrice said:

Some products are plagued by QC and the Quark is right up there with the worst (to mix my ups and downs!!:icon_mrgreen:) The images you have made, it must be said, are sensational at best and should give you lasting satisfaction. They really are special.

Olly as much as I look up to you with your knowledge of AP and indeed you have produced one of the greatest images I have ever seen (55 hours of exposure)... I completely disagree about your comments about the Quark.... yes it has had its problems and end users should not be part of any product development cycle but the positive reviews far out way the negatives by a few million light years. Don't get me wrong Daystar have a lot to answer for and should be embarrassed about the way they have handled disgruntled customers. However,  "right up there with the worst" may be true about the company but it certainly should not be aimed at the capability of the product.  I don't want to rattle on so I will leave it there.

I'm greatly saddened by this as although solar holds no particular interest for me (although I do note that there are less clouds during the day than during the night!) I have always enjoyed seeing your wonderful results.

This device offered so much promise (just look at the images it CAN produce) but it does seem flawed from a QC point of view.

On 5/26/2016 at 15:16, ollypenrice said:

English teachers hey, they're never off duty :D 

58 minutes ago, Pig said:

Olly as much as I look up to you with your knowledge of AP and indeed you have produced one of the greatest images I have ever seen (55 hours of exposure)... I completely disagree about your comments about the Quark.... yes it has had its problems and end users should not be part of any product development cycle but the positive reviews far out way the negatives by a few million light years. Don't get me wrong Daystar have a lot to answer for and should be embarrassed about the way they have handled disgruntled customers. However,  "right up there with the worst" may be true about the company but it certainly should not be aimed at the capability of the product.  I don't want to rattle on so I will leave it there.

Do you say this because you have a good Quark? There is no doubt that they exist and they may be very numerous. That's not my point. The only one I've seen didn't work after just coming back from the manufacturer for a repair. I am responding to the OP's thread and his thread is about giving up on the Quark and he seems to be quite experienced in their regard. I read the forums, I look at the results. I'm also a provider in astronomy, professionally, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I look out for my customers, which means I only go for products which have built up a convincing reputation. I'm sorry but the Quark has not done that. The good ones outweigh the bad? I should hope they do! By at least 98%. Stuff should work, almost invariably and almost perfectly. When I think that the Quark has reached this perfectly normal level of QC I will, and no messing, order one. The OP does not give me the impression that this is the case.

I know it's tough when you have a good product which works and you see it criticized. You'll doubtless know my affection for the Tak Baby Q. However, two SGL members whom I regard as friends have had to return their examples and I have to accept this. It is not acceptable and I accept it. Now, when I am asked about the Baby Q (and I get lots of perosnal enquiries about it) I include the information that bad ones are circulating and that the importer is either unwilling or unable to sort them out.

In all my comments I try to be as objective as possible but I won't always succeed and I won't always please everybody.

19 minutes ago, Scott said:

English teachers hey, they're never off duty :D 

Why did I move to France??? No more marking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Olly

10 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Now come on, Olly, you and I both know it was all about the croissants ........

Heheh, and the vin rouge, the sun, the... well, let's leave Brigitte Bardot out of this!

Olly

Very nicely put Olly but I wasn't expecting anything else TBH :happy7: However, Quarks are a lot better than some of the exposure they are getting (forgive the pun)....Luke has had some very bad experiences with them and I have total empathy for him but I do not feel his experiences are typical. (8 Quarks is really bad and is  probably & hopefully unique) I have not based my response on a single Quark IE mine as I am not that naïve but I have based it on many Quarks and visits to solar events. 

Archived