Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars from UK - anybody?

Tommohawk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... I started this thread cos I wanted to have a go at Mars, but wanted to have something to compare it to. So big thanks for all the contributions.

One thing I have learned is that whilst I've had pretty good results with Jupiter and Saturn, I really struggle with Mars. Using the x3 apo barlow with the C9.25 was hopeless and I shouldnt be surprised - F40 is too much. Native F10 was much better, but somewhere between would probably have worked - unfortuntaly I dont have a x2 powermate, but its now on the list!

I did another set of images on the 29th, this time with IR filter but it was difficult to compare because my first unfiltered efforts were only done at F40 and were complete pants. It was difficult to see much difference between unfiltered F40 pants and filtered F40 pants.

I tried all manner of colour balance settings too - but whatever I tried just didn't give much detail in the MOV files. Focusing was good, and seeing seemed pretty good too, so no excuses. I think the DSLR just really isn't up to it - or maybe I'm not up to it! I used PIPP, AS!2, and Registax. Minor fiddle in PS

Neil - Emil doesn't have the AS!2 version with x2 resample for download any more, so I resized x1.5 in PS. 

Anyhow, here it is... drum roll...

MVI_2718_pipp_g4_ap25_RS_PS.png

One other thing I meant to mention re using a DSLR. The very first planetary picture I did about 2 years back was Jupiter - I didnt really know what i was doing and hadnt checked to see the state of the GRS or transits. By complete fluke I got the GRs and double transit, and my very first imag file was one of the best I ever got. I tried all manner of things subsequently and found the image only ever got worse. On one occasion i concluded it was down to condensation on the barlow - the secondary was heated and wasnt a problem.

With the recent Mars effort on the 29th posted above, I went on to try all sort of variations of white balance, but for my last shot I reverted to auto WB, same as for the first shots. The seeing at that point was probably better than at the outset, the C 9.26 corrector looked clear, and yet the MOV file was definitely worse. I may be wrong, but I wonder if the sensor overheats and causes problems? I do 8 minute exposures for DSOs and get good results, but maybe the video function causes more heating? Just a thought. 

I think video does cause more heating than long standard exposures.

I'm hoping to be back to planetary imaging soon, after a gap of several years.  I shall have very much better kit - previous was a 130mm Newt and webcam :D  Now 190mm MakNewt and ZWO camera :)  Camera received just this morning.  Of course, this has affected the weather adversely and I apologise to others for this...

On 5/28/2016 at 13:52, Stub Mandrel said:

This is pretty much my workflow:

Pre-process using PIPP using histogram equalisation (vital or the ice and blue haze bits disappear forever)

Stack in AS!2 with 2x resample (I will try again with 3x drizzle soon)

RGB align in Registax then VERY GENTLE wavelets and play with gamma curve until detail is just visible across the disk.

Deconvolution then mulkti-scale contrast in Astra,

Play with colour balance across various packages

In Astra and Registax it is VITAL to back off as soon as artefacts start to appear - usually as a concentric ring inside the outer diameter of the planet.

I am satisfied that all the features are 'real' as I have compared the image to Kolkotha Man's incredible pics from Aus and all the features on my image are in his.

I'll be honest, I never expected to get a result anywhere near as good as this, so to say I'm chuffed is an understatement.

Thanks for the tips, I've managed to improve my image from this:

20160517Mars.png

To this:

2s7gx7l.jpg

Heres a 200% resize:

27ww2s6.jpg

Have been fiddling around with the gain settings in order to get a lot more frames.  This from 1000 out of 18316.  With Mars so low it is difficult to decide what colour it should be.20160531  00_45_21_AS_f1000_e00111110_ap15.png

OK, this is definitely my final effort... probably. I thought about getting a 2x powermate, but didnt really want to splash out - and then remembered in the depths of my kit box was the skywatcher x2 barlow that came with the 200PDS. Got to be worth a go I thought, especially as the seeing looked OK.

The image scale is heaps better - using no barlow was too small and x4 was hopelessly faded. The Goldilocks magnification for this seems to be x2. I cant be sure if the detail is good - some artifacts probably but better than the previous effort.

4 min MOV, converted with PIPP (stretched to 75% and RGB equalised) AS!2 inc RGB align, Registax with gamma tweak and wavelets, then X1.25 in PS. Thanks for looking!

MVI_2731_pipp_g4_ap36_RS2_x125.png

MVI_2731_pipp_g4_ap36_RS2.tif

Archived