SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Direct camera-to-monitor?

jonstarrysky

I have an old analogue watec which connects direct to a monitor via a composite video-out socket. My monitor can also take HMDI. I have absolutely no interest in using a laptop or capturing digital images. Live viewing is all I want. Am I correct in saying literally all modern digital video astronomy cameras necessitate a laptop these days? Why don't they have at least an HMDI output as well as USB???

Hi

Many of us use USB cameras (often CCD guide cameras) as these allow realtime stacking in software, however there are still many people who use analogue cameras such as the Watec and Samsung SBC2000 direct to monitors.

I'm not aware of any cameras that support HDMI that are suitable for video astronomy.

CS

Paul

You can buy LN300 "analog" video cameras that will internally combine video frames to simulate long exposures of up to 20 seconds.

They have a composite video output and on-screen controls.

If you are going straight to monitor then the camera you would be using will be analogue using composite video. CCTV cameras don't use USB or HDMI as they do not travel over distance. It can be done at expense but not practical for manufacturers. Don't forget these cameras are still CCTV and not designed for astronomy. So your looking for a CCTV cam with sense up capability most give a LUX rating of 0.0001 etc and use composite video.

Should add digital astronomy  cameras only need USB for both control and picture therefore they don't need HDMI.

Hi,most will know that the ln300 is out of production and very scarce to find,mike at oc telescopes has brought out the revolution 2,its an analogue camera with the 11811 sensor that goes to 512 sense up,released last week,ken..dragonman is waiting recieve his to test and review and posts to utube.

7 hours ago, shirva said:

Hi,most will know that the ln300 is out of production and very scarce to find,mike at oc telescopes has brought out the revolution 2,its an analogue camera with the 11811 sensor that goes to 512 sense up,released last week,ken..dragonman is waiting recieve his to test and review and posts to utube.

As an alternative to the Revolution 2 that nobody has heard before or tried, there are very good deals available for used analog video cameras. People are switching from analog to digital (aka USB) and ditching their old equipment, before the pool of buyers for the old technology dries up.

Clear Skies! --Dom

6 hours ago, Dom543 said:

As an alternative to the Revolution 2 that nobody has heard before or tried, there are very good deals available for used analog video cameras. People are switching from analog to digital (aka USB) and ditching their old equipment, before the pool of buyers for the old technology dries up.

Clear Skies! --Dom

Hi dom.now they know the revolution 2 is out there,and they have the sensor model number and its sense up limit. As for not using it,it was only released last week.

would you be downing latest lodestar or atik camera in favour of an older camera..

can see part of your point but why not get a camera with a newer proven sensor.

So looks as I thought: modern video astronomy cameras work exclusively via USB and necessitate a laptop to see live images. Stacking requires software. My own preference would be for a mallincam type camera where stacking and basic image improvements can done on the fly, within the camera electronics. Camera goes direct to monitor. As stated these use old CCTV technology, and unfortunately will lag behind modern video cameras using the latest chips etc

Two very different routes,the mallincam analogue cameras are the benchmark,in my humble opinion and you will not be disappointed if you get an extreme or exterminator..few coming up for sale second-hand now and again..the sony a7 is another proven camera for video astronomy. Good luck on splitting these two choices lol

If you want cheap 'n' cheerful, have a look at  http://www.kamera2000.com/

They have many board cameras with video output (some with a thing called Analog HD, used for surveillance systems) that have 512-times stacking on-board.

I bought  a couple of them last year and they have a reasonable sensitivity. Not great, but for €50 they might make electronic eyepieces, if that's what you want.

Archived