sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Don't let your Quark catch flu!

Hi folks,

Sorry if this has been posted before, I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on it here. I noticed that Teleskop Service have a warning about keeping Quarks away from cold temp so just wanted to mention - obviously it shouldn't be  a problem at this time of the year!:

Attention at low temperatures:

A Fabry-Pérot filter may never freeze. Being made for working at a very specific temperature, a complex filter should not be exposed to temperatures below 5 °C (40 °F).

The immersion oil which connects the optical elements can solidify. Then, it presses them apart and the coatings of the to 1/200 lambda plane-parallel polished etalon plate suffer damage.

Also, the adhesion of the dielectric coating is extremely stressed, resulting in an accelerated intercalation of water into this layer.

This is regarded as mistreatment and forced ageing of the filter, voiding warranty.

For this reason, we recommend putting the filter into a case, best with drying agent, and storing it in the warm home. Thus you will enjoy the filter for many years.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7050_Daystar-Instruments-QUARK---H-Alpha-Filtersystem---Sonnenoberflaeche.html

• Like 6
26 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Always good to keep reminding members of this sort info. If it has been posted before, there will be some who would perhaps missed it.

Indeed. And I'm one of them :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

Good post, first thing I did was buy a metal foam case, I also thought ahead & made sure it was big enough for the D-ERF & CCD I was getting.

Moisture does not agree with most things so it just made sense.

• Like 1

Moisture and temperature change (or large/fast change) is not good for any optics or precise mechanical parts so best to store all components in a foam lined box, out of strong sunlight, away from heat sources and protect from extreme cold.

Good post Luke, it is easy to forget.

Robin

• Like 1
On 21/05/2016 at 14:37, jabeoo1 said:

I guess this is not just relevant to the Quark?  Is this for any Fabry-Pérot filter e.g Lunt ?

To be honest, I thought the Quark was a different type of filter!

Teleskop Service seem to include the warning with the Solar Spectrum as well.

Edited by Drop Of Sun
53 minutes ago, DrRobin said:

Moisture and temperature change (or large/fast change) is not good for any optics

I wonder if Mrs T would object to me keeping the Flextube 400P in the living room? :grin:

3 minutes ago, DRT said:

I wonder if Mrs T would object to me keeping the Flextube 400P in the living room? :grin:

Almost certainly yes.  In fact I could hear the argument from here.

Robin

• Like 1