Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New SW AZ5

mikeDnight

Major Problem!

Over the last day or two the AZ5 began to produce a mild squeaking sound in azimuth motion. Today that mild squeak has turned into a squealing pig!

As an altazimuth mount, it would naturally be expected - to me at least - that both altitude and azimuth motions would be clutched, so as to allow free movement while retaining position. Clutching the AZ5 by gently increasing pressure on the locking nuts does act as a clutch and it does hold the telescope in position, while at the same time allowing the slow motion drives to engage as it should do. Having to release the locking screws completely to 're position the scope is not good, and as the nuts don't precess with the scope it could be a fiddly process in the dark. The mount head now squeals loudly in azimuth and has just started squealing in altitude after only minimal use. 

Tomorrow I shall contact the vendor and return the mount. :cry:

35 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Major Problem!

Over the last day or two the AZ5 began to produce a mild squeaking sound in azimuth motion. Today that mild squeak has turned into a squealing pig!

As an altazimuth mount, it would naturally be expected - to me at least - that both altitude and azimuth motions would be clutched, so as to allow free movement while retaining position. Clutching the AZ5 by gently increasing pressure on the locking nuts does act as a clutch and it does hold the telescope in position, while at the same time allowing the slow motion drives to engage as it should do. Having to release the locking screws completely to 're position the scope is not good, and as the nuts don't precess with the scope it could be a fiddly process in the dark. The mount head now squeals loudly in azimuth and has just started squealing in altitude after only minimal use. 

Tomorrow I shall contact the vendor and return the mount. :cry:

Sorry to hear that Mike.  If you recall, it did start to squeak a little toward the end of my visit, though I don't recall if it was in altaz or altitude. :sad2:

2 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Sorry to hear that Mike.  If you recall, it did start to squeak a little toward the end of my visit, though I don't recall if it was in altaz or altitude. :sad2:

I'll blame that DL of yours for stressing my mount. :icon_biggrin::thumbsup:

If it was the DL Mike I humbly apologise - but it would be worrying if it was at would mean there is something very wrong somewhere and you're unlikely to be the only one who's mount is affected. (when loading it on a par with the weight of the DL or more)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Major Problem!

I doubt that, probably just a one-off. Though it is still early days none of the AZ5 sold here at FLO have misbehaved and feedback has been positive. 

Just ask your supplier for a replacement :smile: 

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FLO said:

I doubt that, probably just a one-off. Though it is still early days none of the AZ5 sold here at FLO have misbehaved and feedback has been positive. 

Just ask your supplier for a replacement :smile: 

Steve

Hi Steve,

The squealing results from the locking screw being engaged enough to allow both worms to drive while also allowing the mount to be pushed in both axes. I really like this mount and haven't yet informed the vendor. I'm hoping I can somehow resolve the noise problem. Having to release and 're lock the locking screws in both axes to allow free movement isn't something I really want to do each time I need to move the mount. May be I'm expecting too much!

16 hours ago, paulastro said:

If it was the DL Mike I humbly apologise - but it would be worrying if it was at would mean there is something very wrong somewhere and you're unlikely to be the only one who's mount is affected. (when loading it on a par with the weight of the DL or more)

I was only joking Paul. The DL didn't stress the AZ5 in the slightest! :icon_biggrin:

This is something you need to discuss with your supplier, Mike. Most now match our 30-day return policy, or will if pushed, so if you decide you want to change you can probably return it. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Steve,

The squealing results from the locking screw being engaged enough to allow both worms to drive while also allowing the mount to be pushed in both axes. I really like this mount and haven't yet informed the vendor. I'm hoping I can somehow resolve the noise problem. Having to release and 're lock the locking screws in both axes to allow free movement isn't something I really want to do each time I need to move the mount. May be I'm expecting too much!

Hi Mike, 

Just out of interest, does the squealing occur when using both the slow motion and trying to move manually? Or just when trying to move manually? I assume if the screws are too lose then the slow motion doesn't engage? 

Trying to build up a little mental picture of what may be happening inside - I assume at the moment that the screw is dragging against something on the inside of the mount. Curious as to whether removing the screw and dipping the tip into a little bit of grease might help put a little bit of lubrication against the screw and whatever it is rubbing against. 

Don't know whether this is a good/bad idea...just a thought. 

EDIT: Maybe wrong/confusing terminology - by "manually" I mean move by hand without the slow motion controls (i.e. larger movements).

Edited by davyludo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, davyludo said:

Hi Mike, 

Just out of interest, does the squealing occur when using both the slow motion and trying to move manually? Or just when trying to move manually? I assume if the screws are too lose then the slow motion doesn't engage?

Trying to build up a little mental picture of what may be happening inside - I assume at the moment that the screw is dragging against something on the inside of the mount. Curious as to whether removing the screw and dipping the tip into a little bit of grease might help put a little bit of lubrication against the screw and whatever it is rubbing against. 

Don't know whether this is a good/bad idea...just a thought. 

Hi Dave,

When using the slow motion controls the mount is silent, but when gently pushing the head to aim or sweep with the scope, it squeals like the door of a haunted house. It did not do this initially! Releasing the locking screws frees the scope to move in any direction, but it has to be correctly balanced or the tube will drop if not held. With the AZ4 it is possible to clutch both axes so the head moved freely while still holding position. I would have expected the AZ5 to work similarly.

Perhaps a small ballbearing or piece of nylon rod before the screw tip would fix the problem?

Edited by mikeDnight

2 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Dave,

When using the slow motion controls the mount is silent, but when gently pushing the head to aim or sweep with the scope, it squeals like the door of a haunted house. It did not do this initially! Releasing the locking screws frees the scope to move in any direction, but it has to be correctly balanced or the tube will drop if not held. With the AZ4 it is possible to clutch both axes so the head moved freely while still holding position. I would have expected the AZ5 to work similarly.

You could dress up as a ghost while you're observing at night and scare the neighbours! 

Could be that whatever the screw pushes against inside the mount originally had paint/coating on it. With moving it around with the screw under tension, it's maybe worn away whatever coating was stopping it from making a noise before.

I'd be surprised if you were expected to loosen the screw every time you wanted to move it "manually" - more so on the alt axis though. Suppose it might not be as much of an issue having to do it on the az.

Silly question....but does the instruction manual contain any info on how they expect the screws to be used? :tongue2: 

Seems like a pain to have to return it....but might be best and then try another one. 

• Like 1

Hi Dave.

The instructions clearly state that the locking screw should be used as a clutch, allowing both free push pull movement and manual driving to be used simultaneously, without the need to unlock the axes.

I've tried to attach a short video of the mount in motion, so i hope it works. What I'm hoping is that there will be a simple cure for the problem as I really like the mount.

20170811_120806.mp4

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Dave.

The instructions clearly state that the locking screw should be used as a clutch, allowing both free push pull movement and manual driving to be used simultaneously, without the need to unlock the axes.

I've tried to attach a short video of the mount in motion, so i hope it works. What I'm hoping is that there will be a simple cure for the problem as I really like the mount.

20170811_120806.mp4

Video worked fine :thumbright:

You weren't joking about the haunted house! That is a lot louder (and more annoying) than I had anticipated.

Definitely sounds "dry" - as soon as you mentioned that in the video, it reminded me of one of the doors on my old car. WD40 and then some lithium grease :biggrin: ...maybe not a solution for your mount though.

It's good the instructions say that - means you can't be told it's your fault if you decide to return it!

What a shame Mike, must be gutting :unsure:

Really struggling to find other reviews as well...would have been good to see if anyone else had seen something similar. Seems like the is the only thread...quite quiet on the AZ5 front....

48 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Dave.

20170811_120806.mp4

Thats an interesting illustration of the issue. It seems to me that the tension knobs would need some form of pad or insert between the end of the screw and whatever it bears against in order for them to act as a clutch. The ones on my Skytee II have brass inserts for this purpose. The Ercole mount that I used to own used a small teflon disk.

I wonder if this is missing from the azimuth axis on your AZ-5 ?

I'm going to an astro fair tomorrow so if any of the dealers there have an AZ-5 I'll have a play.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

That reminds me of a Celestron/Losmandy German mount I used to own. The RA felt gritty, so after a little research I found there should have been a ball bearing beneath the locking screw. I fit one and the mount worked perfectly.

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Dave.

20170811_120806.mp4

What a cracking film, I'm looking forward to the sequel - 'The Return of the Haunting Squeak' perhaps?  :hello2:

I must admit, I was surprised at how good the quality is in terms of sharpness and exposure. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, John said:

I'm going to an astro fair tomorrow so if any of the dealers there have an AZ-5 I'll have a play.

Well I had a play with an AZ-5 today. It had a 130mm F/5 newtonian on it. I asked the vendor if the silver knobs acted as clutches and he confirmed thats what they do. I then tried the altitude and azumuth motions with the clutch knobs at varying degrees of tightness. I could not get a squeak or any other noise out of the mount. The slow motion controls continued to work smoothly at the various degrees of cluch tightness and the motion of the scope remained smooth too. I was quite impressed with the action of the mount and it's fit and finish.

The stock tripod we all agreed was "adequate" and no more than that.

I wonder if your example has a fault of some sort Mike ?

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Ive ben very intereted in this topic. The video shows the mount IMO to be quite capable & highlights the previous points about the slow motion knob positions. I'm wondering if knobs work better for a reflector than a refractor. I'd appreciate John's opinion as he has had a chance to try the reflector out. Thanks in advance