Narrowband

New SW AZ5

mikeDnight

There is a locking nut on both axes which when tightened allows the use of the slow motion controls, but when released the AZ5 moves in both axes with a buttery smooth motion at the touch of a finger.

Hi Mike,

1) Where are the locking nuts?

2) Can you regulate the tension / frictions or the locking nuts just engage/disengage the slow motion?

I had opportunity to observe for a short time with the AZ5 last night. During the day the mount worked well, while on the night sky it appeared I'd slightly over tightened the worm grub screws which caused a little vibration when using the slow motion drives. I eased the grub screws off a little this morning, so I'll see if this improves performance on the next clear night. If this hasn't cured the problem I'll take a look at the worms themselves to see if they are a bit dry.

20170802_081106.jpg

11 minutes ago, Rick_It said:

Hi Mike,

1) Where are the locking nuts?

2) Can you regulate the tension / frictions or the locking nuts just engage/disengage the slow motion?

Hi Rick,

I've attached a pic of the locking nuts for you. Tension/friction can be increased by adjusting the locking nuts and the mount can still be moved by hand, when fully locked though the slow motions need to be used to move the scope. When the locking nuts are loose, the mount holds the balanced scope securely in position. 

2017-08-02 08.47.19.jpg

Mike you said  '  Then, if my friend paulastro can be coaxed into it, I'll try his DL on the AZ5 to see if the extra length of tube makes any noticeable difference. '

Well, ok Mike, I'll come - just try and keep my away, :icon_biggrin:.  I'll arrange to come over early next week after I get back from Scotland on Sunday.

Good pics and review Mike.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Mike you said  '  Then, if my friend paulastro can be coaxed into it, I'll try his DL on the AZ5 to see if the extra length of tube makes any noticeable difference. '

Well, ok Mike, I'll come - just try and keep my away, :icon_biggrin:.  I'll arrange to come over early next week after I get back from Scotland on Sunday.

Good pics and review Mike.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing how the DL fares on the AZ5 Paul / Mike :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

After twiddling the worm grub screws and viewing distant objects at high power, I'm very happy to say the vibration I experienced last night is no longer evident. ? It seems the mount is just assembled but not finely tuned in China. The mount comes with all the tools necessary for making such adjustments, so there's no need to frett if you find a little back lash or vibration. For less than £150 for a altaz head with slow motions its a steal and a nice match for the light weight 100mm F7.4.

• Like 4

Mike, the arrangement of the 6 bolt holes around where the arm of the mount connects to the base suggest that you could, if you wished, alter the angle that the arm is at by selecting different holes for the fixing bolts. Is that the case ?

2 hours ago, John said:

Mike, the arrangement of the 6 bolt holes around where the arm of the mount connects to the base suggest that you could, if you wished, alter the angle that the arm is at by selecting different holes for the fixing bolts. Is that the case ?

Hi John,

Yes, the arm is adjustable. I've attached a pic of the instructions.

2017-08-02 20.47.08.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for all the really useful info & replies in this thread, very interesting and informative.

I've been looking for some time for a suitable alt-az mount for a S/W 150p-ds (if such a thing exists).  Do you think a 6" newt would be too big for a mount like this?  (assuming of course i have it on a suitable tripod).

I cant quite decide if it would even fit, especially when pointing higher up, its hard to tell how much clearance there is between where the dovetail attaches, and the base of the head.

Any thoughts greatly welcome :icon_biggrin:

1 minute ago, Space_Plane said:

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for all the really useful info & replies in this thread, very interesting and informative.

I've been looking for some time for a suitable alt-az mount for a S/W 150p-ds (if such a thing exists).  Do you think a 6" newt would be too big for a mount like this?  (assuming of course i have it on a suitable tripod).

I cant quite decide if it would even fit, especially when pointing higher up, its hard to tell how much clearance there is between where the dovetail attaches, and the base of the head.

Any thoughts greatly welcome :icon_biggrin:

I'd be interested to know if this is an option as well - I was actually thinking about this last night!

Previously I was going to get a 150p-ds on an AZ4, but I changed my mind and went for something smaller and more portable to take away on camping trips. 

It would be good to see the AZ4 and AZ5 heads side by side. I would imagine that the new AZ5 tripod might be a bit wobbly....but if the AZ5 head is similar to the AZ4 in terms of size and stability, then fitting a more stable tripod might make the AZ5 suitable for the 150p-ds (I've heard of quite a few people using the AZ4 for it).

I've already asked Santa nicely if he could possibly bring me some telescope fun things this year....so far I need to streamline my list though!

• Like 1

From Mike's picture:

Weight of tripod: 5.6kg for heavy duty AZ-5 tripod, 1.8kg for portable tripod.

Payload: 9kg with Heavy-duty tripod, 5kg with portable tripod

I guess FLO will sooner or later stock also the version with the heavy-duty tripod.

Edited by Rick_It

Having used a Skywatcher 6" F/5 newt on an AZ-4 I found it a good combination with the steel tripod option. Not so steady with the aluminum tripod though. My guess is that the AZ5 is at least as solid as the AZ-4 but the stock tripod will be the "weak link". If and when I go for an AZ5 for my F/9 Takahashi refractor, it will be the mount head only and I'll put it on my Oberwerk hardwood tripod which is as tall and stable as the 2" steel tubed tripods (eg: CG5 / EQ6) but somewhat lighter.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, davyludo said:

I'd be interested to know if this is an option as well - I was actually thinking about this last night!

Previously I was going to get a 150p-ds on an AZ4, but I changed my mind and went for something smaller and more portable to take away on camping trips. 

It would be good to see the AZ4 and AZ5 heads side by side. I would imagine that the new AZ5 tripod might be a bit wobbly....but if the AZ5 head is similar to the AZ4 in terms of size and stability, then fitting a more stable tripod might make the AZ5 suitable for the 150p-ds (I've heard of quite a few people using the AZ4 for it).

I've already asked Santa nicely if he could possibly bring me some telescope fun things this year....so far I need to streamline my list though!

I wouldn't like to guess about what scopes will fit well with the AZ5, but I have attached some comparison pics so that you may be able to decide if its a possible contender. I agree with you about the lightweight tripod and would much prefer a more sturdy one. Holding the AZ4 for the pic made me aware that it felt noticeably heavier than the AZ5, though for my purposes at least, the AZ5 is just as sturdy in use.

2017-08-03 12.05.34.jpg

2017-08-03 12.06.17.jpg

2017-08-03 12.11.42.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I wouldn't like to guess about what scopes will fit well with the AZ5, but I have attached some comparison pics so that you may be able to decide if its a possible contender. I agree with you about the lightweight tripod and would much prefer a more sturdy one. Holding the AZ4 for the pic made me aware that it felt noticeably heavier than the AZ5, though for my purposes at least, the AZ5 is just as sturdy in use.

Thanks for taking photos Mike - that's really useful to be able to see the difference in size. The AZ4 does look a bit bulkier than the new AZ5!

It does look like there is less distance between the Alt fixing and the top of the Az section (if that makes sense). 

Maybe the 150p will be just too big for it. FLO have a kit with the AZ5 and 130ps - from the image it does look like it might be tight when getting close to the zenith. Guess we just need to wait until someone with a 6" Newt tries it out! 

Thanks again for your help :smile:

Edited by davyludo
Repeated info
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, davyludo said:

Maybe the 150p will be just too big for it. FLO have a kit with the AZ5 and 130ps - from the image it does look like it might be tight when getting close to the zenith. Guess we just need to wait until someone with a 6" Newt tries it out! 

Or if we are lucky one of the fine folks at FLO will read your comment and find out for you.
Perhaps you could contact them directly asking as they will not have time to read all SGL postings of course.

• Like 2

Hi Mike, 

Thanks again for taking the time to post more images, greatly appreciated!

As davy says, looks like it could be very tight with a 6" newt, even though it should hold the weight. 

Very tempted to order one at some point and see! 

Cheers

• Like 1

Very interesting thread.  I have just ordered the AZ5 with the Skywatcher tripod today; should be with me next week just in time for a trip to France with my Starwave 70 packed between the children's seats.

I managed to take a good look at the AZ5 at the Widescreen Centre today.  It's a nice looking, well-engineered bit of kit with the one caveat that I've not used it in anger yet.  The motion seemed very smooth and the whole assembly seemed a lot less fiddly than the Altair Astro mini AZ, which I also looked at.  It was clear with the mini AZ that good balance was essential, which is all very well until you swap from a 31mm Nagler for smaller ordnance; I got the impression the AZ5 would be a lot more sympathetic to those sorts of changes.  The three screws that secure the head to the tripod are a little too easy to undo accidentally at night, but I suppose it's unlikely you'd make the same mistake 3 times.

The slow motion controls are a great addition, and I liked the fact you could have them in "wheel" mode, without the extension cables, or have the cables fitted if you've a long scope and aren't related to Mr Tickle.  Unlike the old AZ1 there isn't a stop on the slow motion so you can keep tracking for as long as you wish.

It seemed pretty clear to me that this was going to replace the AZ4 over time.  I shouldn't wonder if there are some cracking deals on the AZ4 coming up as a result.  

I hope to write a more full review- particularly of the matching tripod's suitability - once I've played with it under the hopefully clear and dark skies in the Charente over the coming couple of weeks.

Paul

• Like 2

On 29 July 2017 at 22:39, John said:

Sounds sensible to me Mike. So far the tripod looks none to impressive with these new alt-az mounts. The rest of the AZ5 looks very interesting though :smiley:

I think it will be adequate for smaller scopes, John (I tried my Starwave 70 on it today), but I agree there would be too much flex for a bigger scope.  The advantage is that it collapses down quite tightly, more so than the SW aluminium legs, although I have both so will be able to do a side by side.  I know it's a pathetic reason, but the sound the SW aluminium tripods make when you extend the legs really grates on me!!

One other (trivial) observation about the tripod and extension is that the colours look great with the head.  It was a very aesthetically pleasing mount, which of course will really matter when I'm out at night!

Paul

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

It was a very aesthetically pleasing mount, which of course will really matter when I'm out at night!

Paul

I know its said in jest (right?), but its also a bit true as well,
because you know its aesthetically pleasing, it will make you happier with it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Know you have two and two Taks,
some people can never get enough of a good thing MikeDnight! :wink:

Sadly the Sky 90 doesn't belong to me Alan. It belongs to a friend, who after calling round to look at my AZ5 a couple of days ago,  decided to buy one for his 90mm Tak. :happy11:

• Like 2

Very nice pictures Mike! How do you compare this AZ5 against your AZ4 using the same tripod now that you have owned it for some days? Have you noticed any difference in vibration and motion smoothness?

Edited by Piero

12 hours ago, Piero said:

Very nice pictures Mike! How do you compare this AZ5 against your AZ4 using the same tripod now that you have owned it for some days? Have you noticed any difference in vibration and motion smoothness?

Hi Piero,

I prefer the AZ5 as it moves very smoothly in push pull mode with no friction to overcome. The AZ4 was also smooth, but after standing still for a few minutes there was always some static friction to overcome. It was only slight but when using high power it could mean over shooting the target.

With the scope balanced and the worm grub screws tightened enough to avoid backlash, the AZ5 moves smoothly using the slow motion controls. It's also possible to tighten the locking nuts enough to engage the slow motions, while allowing the observer to gently push the scope in both axes easily.

In use last night, my friend and I tapped the scopes at low and high power, and were amazed that the mounts regained stability in under three seconds. "ONE-TWO-TH....!" (This may differ with increasing length or weight of telescope)

?

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 2