Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Orion XX12g Goto Truss Dob

Well, the day has finally arrived. My new dream scope has landed at my door. After many weeks of contemplation of what i wanted to upgrade to i have finally settled on the Orion 12" goto dob.

Love the look of this scope along with the quality build finish. I was originally going to go for the GSO Revelation 12" and build my own EQ mount but i have always had a soft spot for Orion and just thought, sod it :p

So, here it is boxed up with the Tracer battery i got along with the Orion mains adapter. Think i may need to buy a 12v jack plug for the battery however as there isnt one in the box, only a strange female tube like connector.

Only thing left on back order is the Orion light shroud due any time soon. Big shout out to Kerin at Telescope House for all his help and amazing deal he has done me. Thanks pal.

So, the big unbox is due tomorrow, plenty more pics to follow for this thread.

DSC_0104.JPG

Edited by Guest

Congrats & lovely scope - post those  pics ? :thumbsup:

Are you seriously telling us you're going to leave that in its box overnight? Wow, don't know what to say.....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bart said:

Are you seriously telling us you're going to leave that in its box overnight? Wow, don't know what to say.....

Lol thanks @niallk and thanks Bart :D

Is the wow for the scope or the fact i could go to bed and leave it boxed !!?? hahah i really wanted to get stuck in but it was a long day yesterday and the first job is unboxing the primary and want my wits about me with that bit :p

I did however look at the Tracer and it looks like i need another adapter to be able to use it :( Kerin will sort it for me no doubt.

Cant big Telescope House up enough for the customer service and help. Top blokes.

Edited by Guest

Ok, finally got some time to start the unboxing. Everything was double boxed, wrapped, then wrapped again....cant fault the packaging, nice one Orion.

Scope literally fell together, i did peruse the destruction's but then set them aside as it really is almost impossible to get it wrong as everything has a place etc, everything just fit !!! fabulous mass production accuracy and quality as i expected.

I seriously cant believe how close to collimated it is out of the box once built....this must be a fluke, all the same it will be a doddle to do later properly.

My only issue is its shear weight !!!! i am a big strong lad and pride my self on my natural strength, not bragging but i do a physical job and tend to lift cement bags 2 at a time etc, NOT clever i know but still i just thought

i would build the base and move this assembled.....mmmmmm i may need to rethink this and i am now glad that its actually designed to be a quick release captive system to which i will take advantage of probably on the

3rd time of trying to move it whole while popping my soon to be new hernia back into place lol. the scope itself is doable once built but again, i would be silly to not dismantle it. After all its only a 2 min job to collimate and once on the road to a dark site it needs doing anyway.

I reckon dismantle...rebuild, recollimate will be less then 20mins or so, plenty of time for the optics to start cooling.

I think like the Skywatcher and GSO variants i will at some point change the primary springs as these just seem inadequate....probably workable but worth the swap for the minimal cost.

I did find a cigarette plug connector in the accessories box that will fit the Tracer adapter although i will get the proper Tracer one for less unnecessary connections so for now the battery is not the total loss that i first though. The last pick shows it sits

nicely on the side, or even the front.

For now i have chose not to attach the mirror fan that it came with as i am not sure i will need this yet, time will tell i am sure.

So, apart from the V4 Synscan hand controller and bits and bobs it came with pictures that's it......I guess first light will be next :D cant wait !!!!

I know not many have this scope here in the UK as i have struggled myself to see pics and read about it other then on CN so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Clear skies everyone....real soon please :p

Lee.

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

DSC_0111.JPG

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

Just for scale...this is my 6yr old daughter Katelyn who is of average height sat proudly on it.

DSC_0113.JPG

Edited by Guest

Nice scope, hope you get some clear ones now in which you can use it 

Enjoy :) 

Nice looking scope.

re. The weight. I use a taped up sack barrow to move my big scope around. 

Paul

Lovely looking scope! I would fit the fan as they're definitely worth it for larger mirrors. 

Thanks guys... i just cant wait to see the sky again lol

Great unboxing report - thanks! Also great pics. Just looking at the pic of the big primary sitting exposed like that makes me nervous. Imagine if you spilled the diet coke on it.

36 minutes ago, SacRiker said:

Great unboxing report - thanks! Also great pics. Just looking at the pic of the big primary sitting exposed like that makes me nervous. Imagine if you spilled the diet coke on it.

Thanks....and yes i was really nervous about fitting it into the base tube lol but common sense prevailed :D and i took it slow and removed the coke from the room lol

Edited by Guest

Great looking scope :icon_biggrin:

The Chinese dobs are pretty heavy - I used to have a 12" Meade Lightbridge, which I guess was around the same weight as yours. When it was in place, it tended to stay there !.

I need to be able to move my scopes around a bit to get the best sky views so I'm glad my current 12" Orion Optics is a lot lighter !

The 12" aperture will give you some great views - treat yourself to Messier 13 at around 200x :shocked:

The scope's a beaut for sure! Let us know how first light goes!!  Looks the biz.

Hope you get some nice good weather around the next new moon - I foresee a lot of sleep deprivation in your future over the summer... :)

Nice pic with your daughter - I found my 2yr old dancing around on the mirror box lid inside my fully assembled 15" truss dob where I store it in a spare room (parked at zenith).  Nearly had a heart attack - it was just the first week after getting it!

Edited by niallk

Lovely scope! I remember when I got my Orion scope, it was the month of may as well. The wait for proper dark skies was unbearable but worth the wait. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone. First light will be soon I hope ?

Going to add some more pics with the covers off etc to show gear bearings and bits and bobs. Must say the stock Crayford is a nice piece is kit. I just sat looking at it last night pushing it to and fro while the tracer charged lol its truly a beautiful piece of kit and a dream come true. 

Lee.

On 22/05/2016 at 23:35, Tyson M said:

I have always wanted a large Orion GOTO dob! Congrats 

Me too Tyson :D and finally my dream came true :) 

just an odd one. i have just collimated my scope for the first time...i used it as a rain dance for cloud clearing lol but seriously.....

These Orion scopes are made in China...shipped to the USA, then distributed to the Netherlands European hub then onto the UK traders in my case Telescope House.

My elliptical flat was perfectly positioned...and i mean perfectly !!! out of the box ! all i needed to do was alter direction an absolute tad.

In total it took literally 2 mins to barlow project the doughnut shadow back onto the laser window.

Love this scope......COME ON SKIES !!!!!!!!! :p I NEED FIRST LIGHT, ive have had it a week man ! .... meh !

Edited by Guest

Just now, SacRiker said:

Still no first light?! Wow, that must be so frustrating. 

Its killing me SacRiker :( rain rain and more rain here in East Yorkshire. We had one night the other night and the moon was full and i was knackered and in bed by 8pm lol

I feel the sky will clear soon though.....its gotta lol

On 26/05/2016 at 23:30, Phil Fargaze said:

Have you decided what you going to look at first?

I thinks once the clouds clear up here in Yorkshire it will have to be Saturn :) and M13 among many many others lol the skies the limit so to speak...once i can see it :p

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alexbb
      I've been processing this image for quite a long now.
      I started acquiring data the last season when I only managed to shoot 3 panels with the Canon 6D through the Esprit 80 for a total of ~7h.
      This season I restarted and I added more data and covered a wider area. So a mix of portrait and landscape panels were planned and shot with the same scope and camera. Now every pixel represents at least 3-4h of integration, some have more.
      All the above were shot from Bortle 2-3 sites where I traveled sometimes even for an hour of exposure.
      To the RGB data I added 17.5h of Ha, same story with the panels. Some were oriented N-S, others E-W. These were shot with the SW 72ED and the ASI1600 from home and Bortle ~7.
      Then I figured out I still had time and I planned and shot 9 more panels of luminance with the 72ED and ASI1600, each consisting of 1h of exposure.
      I combined all of these into an image, processed it and for the Orion nebula and Running Man nebula I also blended some data I shot last season with the 130PDS and ASI1600 from home.
      Below it's my first final version of all data combined. You can watch it in full resolution on astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/full/jni0w8/ or Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2iBGUXq

• By Spider-Man
      Hi everyone,
      I'm looking to get a reasonably portable astrophotography set-up, using a 60-100mm refractor, with a suitable goto mount.  I spotted the Explore Scientifice exos2-gt with pmc-eight goto system, which looks like quite an elegant solution, and wondered if anybody in the forum owns this mount, and what they think of it's performance & usability?
    • By maxchess
      This may be an artifact, but I took this shot of the Orion Constellation from the Canary Islands and it showed a small nebula around Beteleguse. Do you think this is real? The shot was taken with a dual band filter which brings out the Ha.  I initially assumed it was a camera artifact, but I took more shots with different camera positions and it was still there.  There are some on-line articles about such a nebula. My first reaction was to edit it out, but I think it might be real and only visible because Beteleguse has dimmed by over 50%.  What do you think?
      Max
    • By Andy_ZH
      Hello all,

this is my first post at SGL, and it will be quite long. I am not native a English speaker, so please excuse any mistake.

I have quite some plan with my telescope mount and its goto control, and I am looking for some feedback and comments. If somebody else did a similar project, please let me know. And please feel free and encouraged to make suggestions, ideas, critics, etc.
      The story in a few buzzwords: Raspberry Pi Zero → direct control of TMC2209 stepper drivers via the Pi's Uart serial interface to drive my telescope mount. I am writing a software (optionally: open source?) to control the mount. The language will NOT be C, as typically used for Microcontrollers (I know for instance OneStep)
      I am using Kotlin, which is a more advanced JVM language.

I think this should be enough information to filter the readers who are interested in reading the rest of my post.

Now the long and detailed story:
      My professional background: I am a physicist, and did a PhD in EE (Power Electronics). Later, I became software engineer. Besides being fascinated by Astronomy, I am a tinkerer (Reprap 3D printer, electronics, …). I did grind my first mirror (a 6'' Schiefspiegler) when I was 15 years old, and I built the cookbook CCD cameras in the 90's.
      After many years without a telescope (study time, relationship, ... ), I settled down with my family, and I started to get back to Astronomy.
      Recently, I did by a quite a massive second hand mount: the “Vixen New Atlux” from another other stargazer in Switzerland. My opinion is that the New Atlux' mechanical design is superb. It has (had...) internal wiring, the counterweight bar can be hidden in the mount for transport, good polar alignment screws, it has an excellent polar finder with a dimmable LED.
      But on the other hand the electronics: two weak servo motors in combination with the incredible Starbook 5.... Seigh... the starbook...(!) it is, well... the mount is just superb, and no more comments about the starbook game boy, which shall rest in peace at the garbage dump.
      I removed the servos and all electronics, and I put 2 stepper motors into the mount, which are coupled to the gear with a timed belt. My original plan was to put an Arduino into the mount in order to control the steppers. I have an old goto Celestron cg-5 with Starsense, and it would have been quite easy to mimic - with the Arduino as interface – the servos of the old cg-5 and translate the Starsense control signals to my New Atlux. I can write C, and there is even an open source project called OneStep, which uses a Microcontroller in a similar way as I do.
      But I don't like to write C code anymore. In the 3D printer community, people need to use real time electronics to control the printer steppers. Due to the real time requirement, C with a real time microcontroler (Arduino & similar) are the only option for 3D printers.
      Do we need real time for our telescope? No. We don't need to control a lot of Motor accelerations and high speed control. For the telescope, we need to set the Motors speed precisely, and we need to drive to any position in an accurate and controllable and slow way.
      Then, there are new stepper motor drivers available with as much as 256 microsteps. The TMC2209 stepper driver , which is very well know in the 3D printer community, is not vibrating at all. It runs just smoothly, also at very low speeds. I do drive my motor with 0.25 rpm (sideral speed). In case of a slew, I can accelerate to 1500x sideral speed, which also would allow me easily to track the ISS. Wonderful.

The current status of my project is:
      The mount is equipped with the two new motors The TMC2209 drivers are connected to the Raspberry pi GPIO Interface, and I can control them via Software. Theoretically, I could attach up to 4 motors with a single Uart interface (1 wire protocol). For instance, a focuser or a filter wheel could be attached. I selected Kotlin as language. Java also would have been possible, but I think for a new project, Kotlin will lead to a much more readable code. The TMC drivers can be driven via a chip-internal clock signal. Different to what the 3D printer community is doing (they use the step / dir pins, and create every single microstep with the microcontoller), I can send a “speed” signal from the Raspi via UART to the 2209 chip, and it will execute this speed for me without any further action. The only time critical issue was that I need to precisely count the steps that the 2209 stepper drivers executed. This is done via a GPIO pin, receiving its index signal (a pulse for every 2209 fullstep). Here comes the pain with Linux (non real-time) and the Pi: For user programs, it is impossible to guarantee that every pulse from the stepper drivers will be registered. But I cannot afford to have a step count drift over time. The solution was that I wrote a Linux kernel module in C. I wrote that I don't want to write any C code. Well, a few lines for the kernel module were indeed necessary. I can live with that, having in mind that the rest will be written in Kotlin. The only task of the Kernel module is to count every registered step at the Pi's GPIO input pins. This kernel module output is then mapped to a character device file in /dev/ for every stepper. In Kernel space, it is possible to register and count interrupts without missing even any one of them. From a hardware point of view, this is indeed everything we I need. The project cost so far: 2x10€ for the stepper drivers, 2x10€ for the motors, 2x20€ for the tooth belts and pulley, 10€ Pi Zero plus some peripheral expenses: Micro SD card, USB charger, and 1200 € for the used Vixen new Atlux mount. And a lot of time.
      I have so many ideas on how to extend the ecosystem of my software, but these ideas are for the longer term (maybe years from now on):
      Multi-star alignment. The alignment should be able to be updated continuously during an observation night. With a set of stars, it should be possible to calculate the quality of the aligment points, and e.g. drop them if they are errorneous. PEC correction (should be easy on the Pi) End-Stop support The polar alignment routines of today's goto scopes are quite good. But what I would like to have is some audio-feedback when I move the alignment screws into the right direction. Possibility to pre-plan an observation night (e.g. the mount could tell you that the Jupiter moon shadow will be on Jupiter in a few minutes). Record the telescope movements during the night in order to be able to tag any picture. The TMC drivers have much more capability than what I am using currently. For instance, they could be current controlled for slews in order to set the stepper current exactly to the value that it needs without stalling. This saves a lot of energy. The TMC drivers have a feature called “Stall Guard”. This could be used instead of endstop switches (for 3D-printers, this is done frequently). Advanced options for tracking: siderial, solar, moon speed, ISS speed. Tracking in both axis (e.g. to compensate polar misalignments of atmospheric refraction) or just in right ascension. Commercial mounts do not allow much customization here. With slow slew speeds, 5V input via a USB-C cable is sufficient for the Pi + Motors. Usb-C and newer usb battery packs allow to output a higher voltage via USB. With an “USB-trigger”, the input voltage can be selected to my needs. Higher voltage allows higher slew speeds, but consumes more power. Autoguider support, or even better: simply connect a webcam via the Pi's USB connector and do the guiding on the Pi The Raspberry Pi touch screen could be used for telescope controlls Advanced German mount limits and meridian flip control (e.g. a warning about a necessary flip when driving to a specific goto target). An Android App, connected via WiFi to the Pi could be used as display alternative Language control (have a look at Mycroft, an open-source artificial intelligence). "Hey mount, please slew to the whirlpool galaxy!" Control the mount via SkySafari and Stellarium The Pi has a built in camera interface. How about an open source auto align? The Pi could look at the stars to align itself, which makes a lot of sense. I did already order a long focal length lens and monochrome camera from Arducam in order to do some experiments (the standard Pi camera has 3.5 mm focal length and is not really usable, although star imagining is possible). My first observation site is my balcony. And there, the real Starsense does not work at all. It always spin-loops on 2 alignment positions where the sky is covered by the roof – how silly is that?. This can be done better. Further, Starsense is doing only a initial alignment. It should update its position and accuracy over the time! I think I could do this better.  
      Besides all my ideas, the first and most important focus of the software will be:
      Readability (therefore my choice of Kotlin), extensibility and open source. I like to have the Maths of the internal mount model clearly visible and understandable in the software. The calculations that are done within all our goto mounts are no rocket science. I admit, I am the nerd guy who wants to go the hard way and implement this from scratch.
      I am looking for a good project name, do you have any suggestions? How about QuickStep? this is possibly too close to OneStep and would offend the creators of OneStep?
      Does anyone of you have interest in joining my plan? Doing such a project in a small group would be more encouraging then just doing it for myself. And of course later on, I would appreciate if other stargazers would update their old mounts with my software.

Any comments on my project plan are welcome!

Clear Skies!
      Andy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.