Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion XX12g Goto Truss Dob

Well, the day has finally arrived. My new dream scope has landed at my door. After many weeks of contemplation of what i wanted to upgrade to i have finally settled on the Orion 12" goto dob.

Love the look of this scope along with the quality build finish. I was originally going to go for the GSO Revelation 12" and build my own EQ mount but i have always had a soft spot for Orion and just thought, sod it :p

So, here it is boxed up with the Tracer battery i got along with the Orion mains adapter. Think i may need to buy a 12v jack plug for the battery however as there isnt one in the box, only a strange female tube like connector.

Only thing left on back order is the Orion light shroud due any time soon. Big shout out to Kerin at Telescope House for all his help and amazing deal he has done me. Thanks pal.

So, the big unbox is due tomorrow, plenty more pics to follow for this thread.

DSC_0104.JPG

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bart said:

Are you seriously telling us you're going to leave that in its box overnight? Wow, don't know what to say.....

Lol thanks @niallk and thanks Bart :D

Is the wow for the scope or the fact i could go to bed and leave it boxed !!?? hahah i really wanted to get stuck in but it was a long day yesterday and the first job is unboxing the primary and want my wits about me with that bit :p

I did however look at the Tracer and it looks like i need another adapter to be able to use it :( Kerin will sort it for me no doubt.

Cant big Telescope House up enough for the customer service and help. Top blokes.

Ok, finally got some time to start the unboxing. Everything was double boxed, wrapped, then wrapped again....cant fault the packaging, nice one Orion.

Scope literally fell together, i did peruse the destruction's but then set them aside as it really is almost impossible to get it wrong as everything has a place etc, everything just fit !!! fabulous mass production accuracy and quality as i expected.

I seriously cant believe how close to collimated it is out of the box once built....this must be a fluke, all the same it will be a doddle to do later properly.

My only issue is its shear weight !!!! i am a big strong lad and pride my self on my natural strength, not bragging but i do a physical job and tend to lift cement bags 2 at a time etc, NOT clever i know but still i just thought

i would build the base and move this assembled.....mmmmmm i may need to rethink this and i am now glad that its actually designed to be a quick release captive system to which i will take advantage of probably on the

3rd time of trying to move it whole while popping my soon to be new hernia back into place lol. the scope itself is doable once built but again, i would be silly to not dismantle it. After all its only a 2 min job to collimate and once on the road to a dark site it needs doing anyway.

I reckon dismantle...rebuild, recollimate will be less then 20mins or so, plenty of time for the optics to start cooling.

I think like the Skywatcher and GSO variants i will at some point change the primary springs as these just seem inadequate....probably workable but worth the swap for the minimal cost.

I did find a cigarette plug connector in the accessories box that will fit the Tracer adapter although i will get the proper Tracer one for less unnecessary connections so for now the battery is not the total loss that i first though. The last pick shows it sits

nicely on the side, or even the front.

For now i have chose not to attach the mirror fan that it came with as i am not sure i will need this yet, time will tell i am sure.

So, apart from the V4 Synscan hand controller and bits and bobs it came with pictures that's it......I guess first light will be next :D cant wait !!!!

I know not many have this scope here in the UK as i have struggled myself to see pics and read about it other then on CN so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Clear skies everyone....real soon please :p

Lee.

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

DSC_0111.JPG

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

Great unboxing report - thanks! Also great pics. Just looking at the pic of the big primary sitting exposed like that makes me nervous. Imagine if you spilled the diet coke on it.

36 minutes ago, SacRiker said:

Great unboxing report - thanks! Also great pics. Just looking at the pic of the big primary sitting exposed like that makes me nervous. Imagine if you spilled the diet coke on it.

Thanks....and yes i was really nervous about fitting it into the base tube lol but common sense prevailed :D and i took it slow and removed the coke from the room lol

Great looking scope :icon_biggrin:

The Chinese dobs are pretty heavy - I used to have a 12" Meade Lightbridge, which I guess was around the same weight as yours. When it was in place, it tended to stay there !.

I need to be able to move my scopes around a bit to get the best sky views so I'm glad my current 12" Orion Optics is a lot lighter !

The 12" aperture will give you some great views - treat yourself to Messier 13 at around 200x :shocked:

The scope's a beaut for sure! Let us know how first light goes!!  Looks the biz.

Hope you get some nice good weather around the next new moon - I foresee a lot of sleep deprivation in your future over the summer... :)

Nice pic with your daughter - I found my 2yr old dancing around on the mirror box lid inside my fully assembled 15" truss dob where I store it in a spare room (parked at zenith).  Nearly had a heart attack - it was just the first week after getting it!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. First light will be soon I hope ?

Going to add some more pics with the covers off etc to show gear bearings and bits and bobs. Must say the stock Crayford is a nice piece is kit. I just sat looking at it last night pushing it to and fro while the tracer charged lol its truly a beautiful piece of kit and a dream come true. 

Lee.

On 22/05/2016 at 23:35, Tyson M said:

I have always wanted a large Orion GOTO dob! Congrats 

Me too Tyson :D and finally my dream came true :) 

just an odd one. i have just collimated my scope for the first time...i used it as a rain dance for cloud clearing lol but seriously.....

These Orion scopes are made in China...shipped to the USA, then distributed to the Netherlands European hub then onto the UK traders in my case Telescope House.

My elliptical flat was perfectly positioned...and i mean perfectly !!! out of the box ! all i needed to do was alter direction an absolute tad.

In total it took literally 2 mins to barlow project the doughnut shadow back onto the laser window.

Love this scope......COME ON SKIES !!!!!!!!! :p I NEED FIRST LIGHT, ive have had it a week man ! .... meh !

Just now, SacRiker said:

Still no first light?! Wow, that must be so frustrating. 

Its killing me SacRiker :( rain rain and more rain here in East Yorkshire. We had one night the other night and the moon was full and i was knackered and in bed by 8pm lol

I feel the sky will clear soon though.....its gotta lol

On 26/05/2016 at 23:30, Phil Fargaze said:

Have you decided what you going to look at first?

I thinks once the clouds clear up here in Yorkshire it will have to be Saturn :) and M13 among many many others lol the skies the limit so to speak...once i can see it :p

Archived