Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Putaendo Patrick

Galileo Satellite Launch, Tueday 24 May

The Galileo system of navigational satellites will be a European equivalent of the US GPS or Russian GLONASS navigation systems. Here's a brief notice from ESA:

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Navigation/Galileo/Launching_Galileo/Watch_the_launch_of_Galileo-13_14

Europe takes its next step in creating its own navigation satellite constellation on Tuesday 24 May, with the launch of the 13th and 14th Galileo satellites. 

The pair is scheduled to lift off at 08:48:43 GMT (05:48:43 local time, 10:48:43 CEST) on 24 May from Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana atop a Soyuz launcher.

The first three stages of the Soyuz rocket take the Galileo satellites and their Fregat upper stage into low orbit just short of nine minutes after liftoff. Then the reignitable Fregat, as much a spacecraft as a rocket stage, then takes over the task of hauling the satellites higher through a pair of burns.

The satellites will be released in opposite directions by their dispenser once they reach their target 22 522 km-altitude orbit at 3 h 48 min after launch.

Streaming begins at 08:28 GMT (10:28 CEST) on 24  May for the liftoff, then resumes at 12:23 GMT (14:23 CEST) to cover the satellites’ separation.

Good to see.

My wife used to work for them before we came to Spain so always nice to keep up with the latest news.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Neil56
      Hi Stargazers. This is perhaps 2 questions in one.  I have recently had to replace my SynScan hand controller after the Welsh climate did for my previous one.  I use it to control an EQ8 mount.  It works fine but being a version 5 has an extra port. As well as the Port to connect to the mount and the multi-purpose port it now sports a USB port type B ( the square sort like wot wired printers use ).  This is new and I wonder what can it be used for ? the documentation with the hand controller does not seem to mention it at all.
      Also I use a gps mouse that plugs into the multipurpose port but I would like to use this port to connect to my computer serial port, and "The Sky X". Clearly I can't run this and the gps at the same time.
      once the mount has gone through the initial setup with the gps mouse connected, is it ok to unplug the GPS mouse and plug in the computer cable instead ?  will this work or will the mount lose its time and location data when the gps is unplugged.  Altertnatively is there a way I can use the new USB port to connect to the computer instead ?
      From my reading of the "Sky X" help pages it only seems to work via a serial connection.  Any ideas or thoughts on these points would be most welcome.  A friend suggested trying a usb to serial adapter in reverse !! I think he was joking !!!
      Thank you for any comments.
    • By freiform
      Plane & Satellite when setting up a allsky-cam. Dark-subtraction wasn't enabled yet.
    • By Willieghillie88
      Hi all, 
      My friend and I were outside last night looking at the sky and looking for satellites. We saw a few of what I assume were satellites (flat unblinking steadily moving lights) One of them which crossed the sky East to West emitted 2 incredibly bright and intense, very large flashes of pure white light, spaced maybe 2 minutes apart from each other. Neither of us have any more than a basic school knowledge of astronomy but are both interested. We wondered if anyone on here could help shed any light on the flashing satellite we saw?
      Many thanks for your time.
      Iain
    • By ShrewView
      Hi all.
      I was out most of last night under a lovely clear sky and did a spot of basic imaging of a few Messiers. On looking at the images today there were plenty of satellite trails as always, and Stellarium helps me identify them mostly, but I'm having trouble identifying one, so any help or useful sources I can try would be appreciated.
      The area I was looking at was around M90 and in taking 20 or so one minute exposures I spotted a couple of trails. The first moving slowly took around 10 minutes to cross the width of the imaged area so appears on ten images and I can't find a match for this. The image below was taken at approx. 2.14am.
      The second trail moves fairly swiftly taking about 1.5 minutes to travel the length of the frame, so moving much faster and appears to be Cosmos 2476, taken at 2.23am. 
      Any ideas welcome.
      I've assumed its a satellite and not an asteroid or another one of those Teslas 

• By kbrown
      Got tired of the mess of cables and loose devices I had to always put together and dismantle after each astrophotography session so I figured I'd do something about it. This tray will sit nicely under the tripod and provide a hub for everything including Fused Power, Raspberry Pi, USB Hub, GPS, Dew Heaters, Long Range WiFi etc...
      First version will be really crude as I need to have this working in less than a week as I'm going on a holiday taking my astro gear with me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.