Narrowband

Starlight Live version 3 keeps crashing

Astrith

I haven't used the Lodestar XC 2 for a couple of weeks . When i have connected the camera via USB port to the Starlight live software , the green bar runs for maybe 2 or 3 times then stops altogether . I then have to end the programme in task manager  ( Windows 7 ) . There is also a message pops up in the manager.....Critical Application Error . I have tried deleting the programme and re-installing , but it still repeats  the same process after installation .

So frustrated trying to solve this problem . I also want my camera back .......Lost without it working. !!!  Any input would be welcome .  Thanks for reading.....Alan

Hello Paul

Ive not been able to copy it  down however will attempt to load again and make a note . .Part of it read  Boolean ...Fits  ,....... sorry its a bit garbled  . I have tried re-installing but to no avail . The PC I use for astronomy is it the moment downloading updates so cannot give it another go at present . I can see it wants to start ( the green bar runs once or twice ) then it stops. I will give more information a little later .  Good to hear from you . Part of me is missing without this  programme !!  Alan.

Text from critical error reads as follows...[ bool-this call Fits;FITS writer ;;save ( const class q string & ] operation kfits.open ( QIO Device write only ) Failed.....Hoping this helps....Alan.

Make sure that you don't have two copies of SLL open that are trying to work with the same camera.

The symptom that you describe happened to me a couple of times. Every time there was a forgotten copy of SLL left open from an earlier session. Even if it is minimized or has its window covered by other windows, the app is there and competing for access to the camera.

Clear Skies!  --Dom

Yes I have noticed that when I start task manager there are two copies open....However I cannot work out how this is happening........Thats given me something to work on . Many thanks Dom.

FWIW the one thing I have found that will hang SLL (on OSX) is if I forget to redirect the FITS file save folder after moving an old folder it was pointing to.  If the app is trying to write to a directory that does not exist it freezes and must be force quit.  You might want to check this.

31 minutes ago, aparker said:

FWIW the one thing I have found that will hang SLL (on OSX) is if I forget to redirect the FITS file save folder after moving an old folder it was pointing to.  If the app is trying to write to a directory that does not exist it freezes and must be force quit.  You might want to check this.

Mr. Parker youre a Star . Working great  now . Was panicing thinking I may have to buy a new laptop . Finally I can relax . Big thanks..........Alan.

Yep it looks like its failing to save the raw FITS file downloaded from the camera, so check the export directory is valid and writeable.

I remember this being a problem a while back and thought I had fully fixed it - just double checked the code and I can see the issue so this will be resolved in version 3.1.

Fixed - this was caused by two issues:

1. Ultimately invoking a UI message box from a non-UI thread via the common error reporting mechanism
2. The code to check the export directory exists and is writeable does not work on Windows platforms and some file systems on OSX as it tries to use permission settings which aren't robust on Windows.

This has been fixed so now non-UI threads can invoke message boxes for errors and the function to check the directory uses another method to determine if its a valid directory. This looks to work on Windows and Mac based on some quick testing :-)

Updates will be in V3.1 - hoping to get that out by the end of the week (I *should* have a quiet evening this week...)

• 2 years later...

Hello

I have managed to have this same problem in Version 3.3 and that is why I have re-awakened this thread. I had renamed a parent folder so SLL was trying to look at a folder that no longer existed (at least where it expected it).

I thought it might be useful in case anyone else has the same problem. I was using Windows 10 Home 32 bit.

This was the message I got.

image.png.188d5309c976fbe18be4112f081a201b.png

Best regards

Bill

Archived