Finding somewhere to set up

Hello everyone,

I've recently just bought my first telescope, a Skywatcher Explorer 130p and while I've immensely enjoyed looking at Jupiter and the moon through it, I'm very limited to what else I can see because the streetlights around my garden are very bright and trees block off much of the view. 

Trying to think of somewhere very close to parking(it's got a big box to carry!) but far enough enough from street lights is proving pretty difficult!

How do forum members find somewhere good to set up? 

Cheers,
Kris

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The easiest way is to join a local astro group, there are three in County Durham, plus you will

meet like minded folk who have years of knowledge about the area and probably know lots of

safe sites to visit, here is a link to them, http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Default.aspx?CountyId=30

hope you find somewhere close to where you live. 

Hi Kris,

You could also try searching on google maps and compare against the light pollution maps.  Golf courses, country parks, etc. although you may need to get permission.  

John

I put my 12" dob and all my other equipment in my car and drive for 45 minutes to a site where I can easily see the Milky Way and stars down to about 6th magnitude. It's worth it. Setting up my big telescope in my back garden to see M31 as a tiny smudge would not be worth it.

I notice that the OP is in County Durham so Derwent Reservoir could be a possibility - I believe some forum members sometimes meet there.

As acey has mentioned, Derwent Reservoir is a good choice and I use to frequent there quite a bit. It can become a bit hit and miss at wk-ends (week day evenings are usually fine) in terms of who might turn up -  in a negative way, though it might be that you may only encounter (if anyone) a fellow astronomer. Therefore consider becoming a member of Sunderland Astronomical Society, as they have exclusive entitlement arrangements for one of the car parks for dark sky meets and you will be made most welcome.  

Unless you can get to a better site, one simple thing you could try would be the addition of a home-made dewshield to the end of your 'scope.  12mm camping mat does a great job.  It would not so much be a dewshield per se, but having the extra length on your tube cuts out quite a bit of unwanted light coming in from the sides.  It just might make a small improvement.  Even something fashioned out of cardboard would do the trick (and cost nothing).  And to stop that light at the EP end, you can't beat an old black T-shirt draped over your head!

Doug.

Pic of my dewshield attached:

P1040734.JPG

I'll see if I can get up to Derwent reservoir at some point, it's not too far from here so that sounds like it might be my best bet.

In the mean time I'll make a dewshield to see if that helps with the streetlights.

Cheers everyone

If you have any friends who live in darker places, ask if you could use their property one night. Usually once they see what you can pull out with your telescope, they will want you to come back. I've acquired 3 darksites on private property that way.

The other way is to one night when it's crappy out and you can't observe, instead drive around and scout out places you can use. Parks, fields, open country, just make sure its not private property.

I'll have to third Patrick, best case would be join a club. I don't have those locally, but my roommates brother was attacked by 3 knife wielding thugs trying to jump him for his telescope. YMMV, I don't live in a really nice area, and even still this is probably a rare occourance, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. It takes from the experience when I'm focused more on all the sketchy people walking around at 1am.

Around this neck of the woods I notice a few people, including myself, use places like RSPB reserves. They generally have a bit of a road in and some parking. As examples for myself there is a small one South of Cambridge that is good, West is Paxton Pits that is dark with car park, North East is Wicken Fen. All have good or reasonable access, all are reasonably dark.

I have noticed that for anyone on the North bit of the M25 there is the Lee Valley which again has good access and several good car parks, all dark if you get round to the Fishers Green side.

So there are places and usually they go unnoticed. Haul up Google Maps, get your area and enter Nature Reserves there will be a few around.

Hi Kris I have the same problem as you with street lighting not good for observing a sky glow filter certainly helped me in the First instance. I have tried to get the council to sort the street lighting out and they obliged by masking off a section of the lantern that was directed at my garden. Then. Neighbour fromTWO streets away complained of the reduced light level and now the council have removed the masking.

My answer to my problem was to move to observing the solar system and not rely on viewing DSO's. I must say I feel much better for making the decision and don't stress as much.

Hi Kris and welcome to SGL, have look at a light pollution map and find in what direction you need to journey with your car into the countryside, where the pollution will be at its lowest. You may find some likely looking observing spots within 30 minutes drive from home. If this involves a gated access onto farmers land, don`t be afraid to ask the land owner, I have done this in the past and the use of their land for Astronomy, has proved to be quite acceptable to them :)

A more distant alternative to Derwent reservoir would be heading north into Northumberland, which is what I do, though from County Durham it would be a trek. As to safety, I always observe alone and the only thing that might ever be likely to attack me would be an owl or disgruntled badger. If I were using recognised parking spots, where other people might choose to show up for whatever reason, then I might be a bit more paranoid. But the open countryside is a very safe place and I've never had any bother in my years of observing, just very occasionally a passing farmer or patrolling police officer wondering what I'm doing sitting at a desk in a field next to a big cannon. I'm sure it's a different matter in the lawless drug-addled south but up here the rural folk are very friendly. ;)

I used to observe at a location not far from Derwent but prefer to get as far north as possible from the major sources of light pollution in the area.

Luckily I've never had a problem being out at night all over the place down here... but then I avoid car parks, and people in general (although they seem more scared of me...?) and it's usually winter and cold so most people aren't out... We're pretty rural down 'ere in Devon and I've found the best thing to do is get to know a local farmer or two who don't mind you using their land. That way it's usually pretty secure; if they have a gamekeeper make sure he knows you're there :)

James

Perhaps another alternative if you are prepared to drive a little further, heading North and West would be to find a spot along Hadrians Wall - which does provide some very good and quite established locations, or look for somewhere due West towards Allenheads.  It can depend on how far you are prepared to travel. Personally I like to keep my journey time to just under an hour each way and like acey, I favour heading North and into Northumberland. There are a couple of  locations that I am aware of  deep into Northumberland, that would be particularly excellent though are a more committed drive from where I live, really requiring an overnighter - which is definitely feasible.  Otherwise there are two locations I use that keeps Newcastle into the distant South East and are commutable and fine for my own dark sky trips. I share the same mindset in that I like to, or at least have no concerns to go solo and other than similar to what acey described (particularly a curious police officer) expect to be welcomed with a few hours of tranquility and hopefully amazing skies. 

Always on the look out for new locations - cant say I have seen a man sitting at a desk in a field next to a large cannon though :grin:

There is also the Spring and Autumn Kielder Starcamp to consider.

20 hours ago, James said:

but then I avoid car parks, and people in general (although they seem more scared of me...?) 

James

If you look anything like your avatar I'd be scared too!

Very interesting and relevant thread! Just my two cents here:

At the beginning, it is easy to think that dark skies and unobstructed views in all directions are the most important parameters. Unfortunately, for most of us urban dwellers (and we are the majority, have no doubt) they are not. In the world we live in, this means that safety is the absolute number one priority. As many have pointed out, numbers make safety as a group is less likely to be targeted by hooligans and other less heavenly souls out there at night. On the other hand, if one is alone and not blessed with access to a garden, it is then better to stick to whatever balcony, terrace, or even window we have. Imperfect as these are they might provide the relative tranquility and peace of mind to observe whatever can be observed. A little planning often helps with this. We all know that a telescope that requires a long trip to be used or lots of preparations is one that soon will be relegated to the pile of unused things, so better find a place where we can observe often, under whatever conditions we have, just to make use of those precious minutes before going to sleep on weekdays, relaxing and enjoying in the company of the Universe.

Good luck and clear skies!

It is an individual perspective, journeys to dark sky locations are quite what stimulate and motivate myself. Though occasional, these destinations are welcoming and not intimidating.

3 minutes ago, ia_interactive said:

It is an individual perspective, journeys to dark sky locations are quite what stimulate and motivate myself. Though occasional, these destinations are welcoming and not intimidating.

Agree. My point was that one has to be open to using whatever possibilities one has to observe often. Dark, remote locations have their own inimitable charm and are not intimidating at all, there is no discussion about it, but rather that it may be that some of us cannot afford to visit them often, and that that shouldn't be a reason to be put off.

2 hours ago, SacRiker said:

Has anyone ever had a bad/dangerous experience while observing at a dark site away from home? 

i have, smashed my sump on my car and had to walk 12 miles to get a signal on my phone to cry for help :BangHead:

3 hours ago, SacRiker said:

Has anyone ever had a bad/dangerous experience while observing at a dark site away from home? 

Nope, my usual problem is police (full on with headlights)  coming to to see what I am up to, ( "pointing that thing over there" is the un-said implication ) then, after telling them what it is all about (camera /  aurora / noctilucent / etc&etc ) and presumably convincing them that I am a bonyfidethingy  they get all interested and start asking reasonable questions,,,  and I then have the problem of getting rid of them ! (Well, there is a time for outreach but being blinded by 'great I am's ' is neither the time nor place :) )

56 minutes ago, faulksy said:

i have, smashed my sump on my car and had to walk 12 miles to get a signal on my phone to cry for help :BangHead:

Oh crumbs ! I never go that far :)

On 22/05/2016 at 17:43, James said:

Luckily I've never had a problem being out at night all over the place down here... but then I avoid car parks, and people in general (although they seem more scared of me...?) and it's usually winter and cold so most people aren't out... We're pretty rural down 'ere in Devon and I've found the best thing to do is get to know a local farmer or two who don't mind you using their land. That way it's usually pretty secure; if they have a gamekeeper make sure he knows you're there :)

James

All of the above ! + 'yer in zomerzet' I think most landowners must be venture capitalists and not bothered; lestways as long as one does not stray into a pig field (us)  ( why would one ?) nor into a field of cattle ( they can look after themselves)  the owner is not that excitable, so no problems. Sheep ( us ) and horse owners are vigilant naturally so dont go there. Arable I cant speak for but suspect that if you are not in the "crop circle" fluence area then there should be no worry ?

Archived