Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Video of Mars near opposition (with original space music)!

orion25

Hi, all! I spent some quality time with Mars last weekend as Syrtis Major was well-placed for imaging. I connected a Shorty Barlow (2X) to my little Orion Electronic Imaging Eyepiece (analogue version) on my Orion StarMax 127 and got a cool video of the red planet. Some atmospheric turbulence got in the way because of the relatively low elevation, but features were clearly detectable as was the stunning red hue. I was so excited, I even composed some space music especially for the event! It's a good thing I chose to image at that time because clouds have rolled in this week (of course) and threaten to block Mars' photons on the night of actual opposition. If possible, though,  I will be out there on May 22 (and on May 30 for the perigee) to shoot some more video! I hope you enjoy my video contribution and the music!

Cheers!

Reggie

2 hours ago, cuivenion said:

Nice! Wish I could get seeing that good.

Thanks, my friend. Mars is at a pretty low elevation in your neck of the woods. At my latitude (about 32 degrees north), Mars peaks at a decent altitude for imaging and viewing.

Very cool 'stuff' there, Reggie. And an interesting choice of equipment. I have one of those camera-eyepieces too. And one from Meade that's about the same animal. You've just given me something to play with - Thank you!

Inspirationally -

Dave @ 44.28N

7 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Very cool 'stuff' there, Reggie. And an interesting choice of equipment. I have one of those camera-eyepieces too. And one from Meade that's about the same animal. You've just given me something to play with - Thank you!

Inspirationally -

Dave @ 44.28N

Thanks, Dave. I have fun with my little eyepiece (and get to keep money in my pocket, hehe). I'm opting to stay away from the expensive imaging equipment as I look down the slippery slope (I use that dough to feed my musical obsessions)!

Mars stands opposed (but I do not) :happy7:,

Reggie @ 32.84N

Hi Reggie,

Got a chance to view your video this morning and all I can say is, fabulous!  Your musical composition was wonderful.  I just bought a new pair of Koss headphones, and the sound of your music through them was like being in a concert hall.  Great work and look forward to seeing and hearing more.

Don

5 hours ago, HiloDon said:

Hi Reggie,

Got a chance to view your video this morning and all I can say is, fabulous!  Your musical composition was wonderful.  I just bought a new pair of Koss headphones, and the sound of your music through them was like being in a concert hall.  Great work and look forward to seeing and hearing more.

Don

Thanks, Don! The photons inspired me, lol. The clouds are parting today so I'll actually get a chance to see the opposition tomorrow night (and the full moon tonight). I'm excited! How is the weather in Hawaii? Any special events surrounding the Mars event?

Reggie

Hi Reggie,

Nothing special here that I know of.  Weather has be poor recently, but at the VIS we still get pockets of clearing.  Everything gets a bit wet though.  I'm hoping for some better conditions this summer.  Maybe we can collaborate on another video.  We can call it Summertime.  Oh, I think Gershwin already took that.  I'm sure you can think of something.

Don

7 hours ago, HiloDon said:

Hi Reggie,

Nothing special here that I know of.  Weather has be poor recently, but at the VIS we still get pockets of clearing.  Everything gets a bit wet though.  I'm hoping for some better conditions this summer.  Maybe we can collaborate on another video.  We can call it Summertime.  Oh, I think Gershwin already took that.  I'm sure you can think of something.

Don

A new collaboration would be great! Hey, maybe we can call it Summer Solstice Time! LOL!

Wishing you clearer skies,

Reggie

Archived