SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

how i look galaxy's through skywatcher 150/750 newt.

hello, for you all. i am new in stargazing. i have skywatcher 150/750 newtonien with eq mount. my problem that, i don't spot galaxy's.  i seen M13 , M3 , M42 nicely. but , when I pinpoint  M81 , I SEEN NOTHING. please suggest me .Capture.PNG

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most likely reasons are:

1. Sky too bright.

2. Looking in the wrong place.

3. Not noticing that they're there.

Solutions:

1. Take your scope to the darkest place you can. For M81/82 it'll be enough if you can see all the main stars of Ursa Minor with the naked eye. For most galaxies you need to be able to see the Milky Way naked eye for the sky to be dark enough to give a good telescopic view.

2. Get a star atlas (or app) with stars faint enough that you can get to the exact place in the sky where your target lies. Don't rely on sweeping around the general area - that only works for bright targets, not faint galaxies. Try S&T Pocket Atlas.

3. Once you know you're looking at the right place, look there for a sufficiently long time, so your eye can adapt. If you're bothered by stray lights you could try putting a hood over your head. Very faint targets can take a long time to become visible.

M81/82 should be visible with binoculars from a suburban location, so my guess is that either your sky is very bright or you've been looking in the wrong place.

Also, what focul length eyepiece (EP) are you using to try to view M81 or any other Galaxy. If you are using too much magnification on the galaxy this will automatically dim the appearance of it considerably if your skies or seeing is not very good. You should get a decent view with a good 20mm or so EP, so use the EP that gives you the widest field of view when trying to tease out galaxies, although you don't want to go any wider than a 32mm EP really. 

You should see it well in your scope with the 25mm. I have the 130p and using the skywatcher supplied 25mm I saw M81 and M82 in the same view and could see the supernova in it when it was there. If I go up in power it starts go get dimmer so low power is best.

25 minutes ago, SW130p said:

You should see it well in your scope with the 25mm. I have the 130p and using the skywatcher supplied 25mm I saw M81 and M82 in the same view and could see the supernova in it when it was there. If I go up in power it starts go get dimmer so low power is best.

I have the same scope and use the 25mm EP. I also use the skywatcher LPR filter which makes a noticeable difference so my advice to you is try using an LPR filter

Even though m81 is a relatively 'bright' Galaxy, under light pollution it's still just a small faint smudge. It's quite tricky to find when you are starting out. M81/82 are much easier to find in a good pair of bins with a dark sky. Just take your time and slowly star hop from the nearest bright star.  Wait for a really clear night.

Dark, clear conditions - low mag - aim in the right place - let your eyes adjust - drape an old black T-shirt over your head - you'll eventually see it in all its glorious fuzziness.

If you don't use GoTo, then print out a chart as a guide.  You can also do a quick sketch of the surrounding starfield and check that out against Stellarium.  Astropixels and DSO Browser are also excellent for recognising an object in its stellar context.

Doug.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All guy's..  While after some cloudy day's ,l target 'Ring Nebula'.    

I adjust  fienderscope .  Look through 25mm ep without Barlow. I find a fusi dim light . With a normal 2x Barlow and 25mm ep, I saw large round disk like. But not clear . l am in a very light polluted area.

The other thing which helps with galaxies is to observe them when they are as high in the sky as possible. This is a matter of planning, so go for the galaxies which are high up on the night in question.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2016 at 08:44, subhas barma said:

Hello All guy's..  While after some cloudy day's ,l target 'Ring Nebula'.    

I adjust  fienderscope .  Look through 25mm ep without Barlow. I find a fusi dim light . With a normal 2x Barlow and 25mm ep, I saw large round disk like. But not clear . l am in a very light polluted area.

Well you did find it in the end:)

• 4 weeks later...

Small thing to be aware of is that on Stellarium M81 is referred to as Bodes Nebula, not Bodes Galaxy - although other references use Bodes Galaxy, the Wiki Messier List being one. So I would guess from that that there is little detail to identify it as a galaxy - lets ignore the Hubble images as these are not reproduceable in any amateur scope.

I would guess that M33 is a better option, if it is visible at your location.

May also be worth trying M101 (bit questionable) and M83 if visible.

All the galaxies are fairly dim and many are poorly orientated also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Take an imaginary line from Phad to Dubhe in Uma. Extend that line beyond Dubhe the by same distance from Phad. Use a wide angle 25mm or 30mm eyepiece and you should see both M81 and M82 in the same fov. When the sky is dark and transparent, and the Plough is overhead, it's pretty easy - but you will need a little practice to get the hang of it. Hth :)

• 1 month later...

Archived