Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Book review: The Sun & How to Observe It: Jamey L Jenkins

Over the last year I have become increasingly interest in Solar observing and have acquired a Herschel Wedge, a PST and a 50mm Lunt.

I saw this book recently at the Norwich Astronomical Society where a talk was being given on Solar observing, it seemed to cover what I wanted to learn more about so bought it via Amazon, £21.99

Technically this book is excellent, it covers the usual subjects of what the Sun is, how it works etc. Then it goes onto the more interesting subjects such as white light observing, how to classify and record solar activity. There are chapters on chromospheric and Ha observing as well as photography. All dealt with in an easy reading manner. So 5/5 for content.

This is a book published by Springer and their prices are not cheap and true to Springer form the quality of print is vary variable. Some pages the print is nice and black, umbra like, others more penumbral and grayer and more difficult to read. Springer : Don't you have anyone checking quality?

So 2/5 for print quality v price.

Archived